PDA

View Full Version : Paraffin wax - source thereof

Barry Hicks
14th November 2007, 07:18 PM
If any of you turners out there who use paraffin wax to seal the ends of lumps of green timber and have trouble sourcing p.w., might I suggest you look for a candle maker.

I had all sorts of trouble finding it a while back and eventually bought some, at great expence, from a wood turner's supply outlet.

In my recent perambulations I visited the candle factory at Nimbin (NSW)
and as well as being made welcome by the proprietors, had a tour of the place and left with a bag of free scrap p.w. I might add that my wife gave our credit card a workout while we were there.

watson
14th November 2007, 07:56 PM
G'day Barry,
I had trouble sourcing paraffin wax once, until my wife sent me to the supermarket, and there it was. In the jam making section. Felt like a real idiot!

rsser
14th November 2007, 08:16 PM
And there's a crowd here in Melb. that sell it in bulk by mail order; GJ found them. A forum search should throw up the name.

AJ
14th November 2007, 08:46 PM
Hi Barry

The Do It Yourself Shop at Maroochydore Qld sells it in 1kg bags for around $18 plus postage. Give them a call on 07 5443 2790:2tsup:

Calm
14th November 2007, 09:02 PM
I think you may find "the great one" Neil actually sells it and who better to support than the man that allows this great forum to operate - free

scooter
14th November 2007, 09:19 PM
See also the links to similar threads at the bottom of this page for sources.