PDA

View Full Version : whats the best glue to use

ozyjimbo
5th November 2003, 02:41 PM
Whats the best glue to use when using tung and groove boards???

DPB
5th November 2003, 03:54 PM
NONE:)

coggy
9th November 2003, 07:43 AM
Depends on what you are doing with the T&G boards? Are you laying flooring? Making a shed? Are the boards outside? What exactly are you making

Shane Watson
9th November 2003, 08:44 AM
NONE!

ozyjimbo
9th November 2003, 08:59 AM
i'm making a door out of it as i am unable to get a panel the size i need

coggy
9th November 2003, 09:12 AM
Is it an interior or exterior door?

coggy
9th November 2003, 11:06 AM
Yes "None is a good suggestion"

But if its external i would use a bit of "cascamite" it won't harm:p

Oldblock
9th November 2003, 11:46 AM
T&G makes a good large panel because lots of joints allow for swelling and shrinking therefore no glue just loosely assemble and fasten the outer most boards.

ozyjimbo
9th November 2003, 02:53 PM
thanks for the replys guys the door i was making is for internal it's more like a lid for a coffin cd case i built as it turned out i did glue the joints of the TnG and then made a little border to nail the lid to i'll have a pic up here soon so you can see what i did with it

GCP310
9th November 2003, 09:59 PM
i know with commercially available kitchen solid timber doors,
the interior panel "floats" and is not glued at all.

this allows for expansion with humidity.

G

JackoH
10th November 2003, 08:48 AM
What part of "None" do you buggers not understand?:mad:

DPB
10th November 2003, 09:05 AM
Since I was the one that started the "NONE" series of answers in this chain, perhaps I should give you a more detailed answer if the reason is not already obvious.

The challenge for all woodworkers is to allow for the natural tendency of wood to move - to expand and contract with seasonal humidity changes. The variation in humidity from summer to winter can be quite dramatic and this causes considerable movement in timber.

Panels are the biggest challenge. They tend to expand at a different rate to the solid solid timber frame into which they are set or attached. That's why most woodworkers set the paned into a mortise with allowance for the expansion/contraction. The panel is not glued in, but rather is set into the mortise to float, free of the constraints that glue introduces.

If the panel is glued to the style and rails, when the expansion/contraction occurs - something has got to give. The result is splitting of the rails and/or styles, or separation of the joints between these two components. Or the panel itself buckles and warps, or perhaps splits.

When it comes to tongue and groove, you have the same forces at work. The tongue is the tenon, and the groove is the mortise. The weakest points in this joint are the tongue and the groove. If you place glue in the groove, splitting of the "shoulders" of the groove will occur and become apparent. It's far better to simply allow this joint to move. That's the intention behind the design of tongue and groove joinery.

So the answer to what is the best glue to use is none . :D

GCP310
10th November 2003, 10:31 AM
Woodchuck, Are you Sure NONE?

Just want to be sure.:D

G

barnsey
10th November 2003, 10:57 AM
ozzyjimbo,

Now that everyone has criticised you for using glue and insist that none is the answer, thought I'd put in my 2p worth.

Built a bookcase out of T&G flooring up here in SE Qld humidity and used glue!!! 2 years down the track not a millimeter of movement and no splitting. Was very seasoned timber - hoop pine I think (t'was an old public dunny door actually) - and never had a problem. That is not to say that I do not agree with what has been said but in my application I needed a solid joint or it would all fall apart. So don't commit your piece to the firewood heap yet but wait and see what happens.

Regards

Jamie

ozyjimbo
10th November 2003, 11:37 AM
thanks again guys i think i have finally found the answer to my question after a bit of an eye bashing lol but like yourself jamie i too had to make it solid but it's all good cause it was constructive critisim like i said i have only been doing work with wood for a few weeks lol condemed if you ask and condemed if you don't

ozyjimbo
10th November 2003, 11:39 AM
here is the other pic

barnsey
10th November 2003, 11:53 AM
Well done Jimbo,

And a first effort after just a few weeks - welcome to the wonderful world of wood - just love it when a plan comes together. Oh and about the glue - General pupose work I use a canadian product called Weldbond - you can get it at Bunnies - not a bad product.

This forum is a great place to learn stuff - but occasionally there are some experts who forget that those of us who are still learning what might be second nature to them still have to ask the dumb questions. Just hope I will have completed the big pine box before I stop asking them!!:D

Keep up the good work.

Jamie

ozyjimbo
10th November 2003, 12:13 PM
thanks jamie but it's not my very first effort i have made a few things i have some pictures in the woodworking pic area be interested to see your project once you have finished it the glue i used was selley's aquadhere and i did also buy the weldbond will see how these glues work with other projects i have in mind

JackoH
10th November 2003, 04:50 PM
I was only trying to be funny. Honest!:D .
Sorry if I offended. Congrats on what looks like a nice piece of work.
One other question though. How are you going to get the corpse in with those shelves in the way??:confused:

DPB
10th November 2003, 04:52 PM
Jimbo - NONE is not criticism - its advice, which is what you asked for.

Congrat's on the completion of this unusual project - that's the one of the beauties of doing it yourself - you end up with what you want - well most of the time.
:D

JackoH
10th November 2003, 04:56 PM
How come my post., above is timed at 6.50am and DBP's at 6.52
am. When they were done at about 4.50 & 4.52 PM? (I don't get out of bed that early!):confused:

ozyjimbo
10th November 2003, 05:36 PM
ahh no offence taken at all John, DPB that was my other post i wanted criticism for :D but like i said thanks for the replies it is much appreciated John answer to your question as you can see the shelves do come out and with a few tools i have around home makes it easy to mutalate the only thing is i'll have to make a few of these for all body parts :cool:

DPB
10th November 2003, 06:04 PM
John, check your User CP/Edit Profile/Time Offset. This should be set to GMT+10hours.:rolleyes:

R. McCarthy
10th November 2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by John Hambly
How come my post., above is timed at 6.50am and DBP's at 6.52
am. When they were done at about 4.50 & 4.52 PM? (I don't get out of bed that early!):confused:

:D It's a pity you get out of bed at all (I could'nt help that !!)

JackoH
11th November 2003, 08:11 AM
I did rather ask for that did'nt I Mr Mc.?:(
DBP. Check my WHAAT? :D
Do you notice that when we are rude to each other we invariably puit that smiling smiley at the end ?:D :D :D ?

R. McCarthy
11th November 2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by John Hambly
I did rather ask for that did'nt I Mr Mc.?:(
DBP. Check my WHAAT? :D
Do you notice that when we are rude to each other we invariably puit that smiling smiley at the end ?:D :D :D ?

I did'nt really intend to be rude John - just using the great old Aussie put-down with a smile on the face !!

I generally find your posts interesting and to the point albeit a little abrupt sometimes (although that is to the point is'nt it ??).

Eastie
11th November 2003, 10:12 AM
Flying in the face of all the above dribble I congratulate you on your application of glue – as without glueing the t&g you would not be able to use this aesthetically challenging piece of household furniture as an actual coffin. For obvious reason we have laws stating that coffins must be impervious to gasses and liquids until they are committed to the ground or shoved in a pizza oven :D

DPB
11th November 2003, 10:17 AM
DBP. Check my WHAAT?
Mr Hambly - User CP - look at the top of this page - there's an icon that say "user cp" - this means user control panel - it's where you set your preferences.

If you go there you can correct your time problem - and you could probably do this without even getting out of bed.:D :D

JackoH
11th November 2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks for that DBP. I think I've got it. Quite simple really. Now I think I'll go to bed!
What bloody time is it?:rolleyes:

JackoH
12th November 2003, 05:09 PM
What a good idea. Thanks Doorstop. ;)
Trouble is, 'er indoors wouldn't feed me red wine, beer etc. I'd have to get up and fetch it meself.
But I do know what time it is now and am going to get back to normal very soon. Should have the whole thing sorted by next March, when those bloody clocks alter again!;):confused:...... :D