PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Chuck advice???

Caveman
18th November 2007, 03:42 PM
G'day all,
I was wondering if anyone could offer advice/comment on a large heavy duty chuck.
I am in the process of trawling around looking for big chuck - I currently have a Supernova2 with the powergrip jaws and feel that I am seriously overloading these with some of the lumps I've put on the lathe so far. Some of these are a struggle for 2 people to lift and put on the lathe - probably around +-70kgs.
I obviously start these off on a face plate then reverse onto the chuck after roughing the outside profile and bringing some sort of balance to the piece, however it still requires 2 people to put it back on the lathe and despite using the tailstock at all times don't feel too confident.

I have been googling around and so far come up with the following:
Teknatool Titan Chuck
Vicmarc VM120
Oneway Stronghold

It looks like the Teknatool Titan is the largest/strongest around??? But am a bit concerned by their current quality having moved their production from NZ.
Are there any other out there?
What are the best jaws etc...

TIA for any feedback.

rsser
18th November 2007, 04:30 PM
Hi Andy,

I use the Teknatool Titan with Super Grips or their 75mm bowl jaws and they do just fine. It's an older manufacture though so I can't comment on current QC.

The Supergrips with one of the T'tool 130mm faceplate rings is pretty bombproof.

Vicmarc have a new biggie out AFAIK. Try their website at www.vicmarc.com (http://www.vicmarc.com). It's prob. around 5" same as the 120.

Hope your paw is recovering.

[Added: actually, the 75mm T'tool bowl jaw edges are rounded over and so don't have as much bite as Vicmarc jaws. A fellow forumite kindly machined the face side back for me to take out the arris. That said, the big VM shark jaws are a nice bit of kit and will take some punishment.]

Caveman
18th November 2007, 04:41 PM
Hi Andy,

I use the Teknatool Titan with Super Grips or their 75mm bowl jaws and they do just fine. It's an older manufacture though so I can't comment on current QC.

The Supergrips with a 130mm faceplate ring is pretty bombproof.

Vicmarc have a new biggie out AFAIK. Try their website at www.vicmarc.com (http://www.vicmarc.com). It's prob. around 5" same as the 120.

Hope your paw is recovering.

Thanks Ern - will be unwrapping the offending digit next week some time for a check-up - hopefully get the all clear.

Will check out the Vicmarc site - have come across a VM140 and a VM150 which seem to be new, but can't find too much info.

graham355
18th November 2007, 10:47 PM
Hi ,
You could have trouble finding a titan chuck:((. They are out of production and the importer has no stock in Australia . You might be lucky and find one somewhere but I couldn't. I just got one sent from
canada. only took 4 days to get to my door:2tsup:. Haven't used it yet though.

Good luck,
Graham.

TTIT
18th November 2007, 11:16 PM
Got just the thing for ya' Andy if you don't mind waiting a little:;. I've been waiting all year to try a 5" chuck Vermec are making. I got to see the prototype in January when I collected the Stubby but Enzo has had trouble getting them into production. If the final product is half as good as the prototype I'll be stoked - it has some great features born from listening to woodturners like having bead-blasted jaws for better grip and the T-bar sockets angled back towards the headstock slightly to allow for grabbing the inside of bowls - PLUS - it will accept both Vicmark and Supernova jaws,:o
Spoke to Enzo last week and he hopes to have some ready before xmas - will post a review when I get me mitts on one!

DJ’s Timber
18th November 2007, 11:47 PM
Will check out the Vicmarc site - have come across a VM140 and a VM150 which seem to be new, but can't find too much info.

My memory is a bit hazy with this one but I'm pretty sure the VM140 was the old tommy bar operated chuck which I think is no longer made

Caveman
19th November 2007, 01:02 AM
Thanks Graham - would have to go the same route as you - either get one from North America or Europe - still searching though for the right option.
4 days from Canada - that's impressive.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

Spoke to Enzo last week and he hopes to have some ready before xmas - will post a review when I get me mitts on one!

Thanks Vern - sounds real good - hope you get one soon - and let us know when you get one for a test drive.

My memory is a bit hazy with this one but I'm pretty sure the VM140 was the old tommy bar operated chuck which I think is no longer made

Thanks DJ - could well be an old chuck - I just thought it was a big 'un as I know the VM120 is big so assumed VM140 must be bigger.
Looking forward to Vern's review on the Vermec.

Stu in Tokyo
19th November 2007, 10:39 PM
I got a Titan chuck recently from Woodturnerscatalog.com when it was on sale (cheaper than the SN2).

It is a seriously BIG chuck, and the quality is just fine as far as I can see.

Cheers!

Caveman
19th November 2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks Stu - just had a look at CS - looks like their sale is over - what jaws did you end up getting with it?

Stu in Tokyo
20th November 2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah, the sale was over quickly, I jumped when I could.

The chuck was $165 US and the insert was $25.

I also got the regular power jaws and the Titan power jaws.

Titan chuck with the Titan power jaws, and the G3 chuck nestled inside :D

Cheers!

ss_11000
20th November 2007, 01:01 AM
Whoa! interesting pic stu!!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th November 2007, 01:07 AM
I reckon he's tricking us and has been playing with angle-grinders and brake drums off trucks...

Stu in Tokyo
20th November 2007, 05:41 AM
I reckon he's tricking us and has been playing with angle-grinders and brake drums off trucks...

Well, the brake drums off my little van are smaller than that Titan chuck with the Titan Power Jaws :D

GPW
20th November 2007, 10:31 AM
Hi Guys

We have approx 7 teknatool titan chucks in stock ,please contact us and we can work something out.

Rohan Pye

www.gpw.au.com

Frank&Earnest
20th November 2007, 01:33 PM
Hi Guys

We have approx 7 teknatool titan chucks in stock ,please contact us and we can work something out.

Rohan Pye

www.gpw.au.com (http://www.gpw.au.com)

Had a look at your web page. Is the Titan the same as the Companion?

graham355
20th November 2007, 10:29 PM
Hi,
The companion is a titan chuck with no jaws , designed for people upgrading from smaller nova chucks and who already have those items. Wish I saw that a few weeks ago.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers,
Graham.

Caveman
20th November 2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, the sale was over quickly, I jumped when I could.

The chuck was $165 US and the insert was $25.

I also got the regular power jaws and the Titan power jaws.

Titan chuck with the Titan power jaws, and the G3 chuck nestled inside :D

Cheers!

Sounds a real nice deal! Pity I missed out:doh:.

Interesting picture:D

Caveman
21st November 2007, 12:34 AM
Hi Guys

Rohan Pye

www.gpw.au.com (http://www.gpw.au.com)

G'day Rohan - what I've been looking at is the one attached (like the one Stu got his paws on)- seems a bit different to the one on your site?
"It features a 3-hole jaw slide design that allows one to use standard Teknatool chuck jaws and accessories in addition to the Titan Power Grip jaws that utilize all 3 mounting holes on the jaw slide for extra strength when turning larger work."

Is yours the same as the one pictured below?

Frank&Earnest
21st November 2007, 12:54 AM
Hi,
The companion is a titan chuck with no jaws , designed for people upgrading from smaller nova chucks and who already have those items. Wish I saw that a few weeks ago.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers,
Graham.
Thanks for your clarification Graham. Just what I need.

GPW
21st November 2007, 10:23 AM
Hi Caveman

Yes the titan chuck we have has 3 mounting holes,we also have a couple of the early titan ( or deluxe)which has the standard 2 hole mounting.

These chucks are all in the companion version and jaws can be added to suit your application

We also have 2 of the titan powergrip jaws which will only fit the titan chuck.

Rohan Pye

www.gpw.au.com