PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo @ the Lilydale Show

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th November 2007, 09:21 PM
Lillydale Agricultural Show has been and gone for another year, our local turning club had quite a few entries in the Crafts (Woodwork) section, with surprising success. I'll let Rodent and Jess post their own brags though. :wink:

The one that stunned me was:

http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

I'd entered two pieces, that decanter and a goblet:

both of which won firsts, but our camera went *poof* t'other week so I can't take pix. Rodent took the pic of the decanter & award for me, but didn't get the goblet & award. :shrug:

Not bad, considering both items were only supposed to be prototypes for my entries and were turned from green redgum. (Thanks DJ!) The decanter gave me serious grief with ovalling, while the goblet developed a couple of serious splits. This didn't worry me - they were only concept pieces - until I went to reproduce them in some decent timber I'd put aside and discovered it was so badly checked as to be unusable... :doh:

Of course, being stupid I'd already paid my entry fees in advance :B and was left with the option of either entering the prototypes or not entering at all...

In all honesty, I'm bloody amazed they did so well! But feeling good about it, just the same. :wink:

Wood Butcher
18th November 2007, 09:26 PM
Congratulations Skew!

Shows that sometimes when the best made plans go to sh*t, good things can still happen :p

Big Shed
18th November 2007, 09:32 PM
Congrats Skew, nice piece of work:2tsup:

martrix
18th November 2007, 09:33 PM
Well done Skew, that decanter is pretty cool.:cool:

Calm
18th November 2007, 09:36 PM
Well done Skew and by a bloke that is happy to share his knowledge

A most deserving winner

watson
18th November 2007, 09:38 PM
Very good prototypes though!!!! Well done Andy

thefixer
18th November 2007, 09:52 PM
Very good prototypes though!!!! Well done Andy

Andy?
Are we almost close to a revelation here?

Cheers
Shorty

BernieP
18th November 2007, 09:55 PM
G'Day Skew

Congratulations, boy the are different, never seen anything like them before, definately photos for the archive. Greenie sent.

Cheers
Bernie

watson
18th November 2007, 09:59 PM
[quote=thefixer;627941]Andy?

Nah,
Just me typing blind.......as usual

RufflyRustic
18th November 2007, 10:00 PM
Neat!!! Go Skew!!!! What's next :D

Congratulations!

cheers
Wendy

orraloon
18th November 2007, 10:04 PM
Well done Skew, you sell yourself short they are good.

Regards
John

scooter
18th November 2007, 10:15 PM
Well done, Andy, nice pieces. :2tsup:

C'mon Rod & Jess, fess up... :D

ss_11000
18th November 2007, 10:41 PM
how on earth did they win?:?:p:D

seriously - nice work skew. i particularly like the big thing, looks cool. very well finished to:2tsup:. the handle and square base are a nice touch:cool:

nice inlay on the goblet to:2tsup::cool:

lubbing5cherubs
18th November 2007, 10:47 PM
Good on you. Couldn't of happened to a better bloke. Great effort
Toni

DJ’s Timber
18th November 2007, 11:00 PM
Think I might have to pop around and reclaim my bits of timber Skew :o:U

Nah, seriously congrats on the award, a well deserved one I reckon :2tsup:.

Expect me to drop by sometime soon to check them out in the flesh :;

TTIT
18th November 2007, 11:25 PM
Onya' Skew :2tsup: Very nice looking decanter - so did you end up hollowing from both ends???

?? Is the 'cork' in the show pic a different one to the other pics ??

Harry72
18th November 2007, 11:32 PM
Well done Skew, something for us newbies to aspire to!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th November 2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks folks. It still hasn't sunk in properly yet... I guess we really are our own worst critics.

Onya' Skew :2tsup: Very nice looking decanter - so did you end up hollowing from both ends???

Yep. The base was seperated (a la a box lid) so I could hollow from the bottom, then glued back on with the grain aligned. That's the reason behind the "band" - to hide the joint. The body ovalled differently to the base while they were seperated, which made for an interesting process when it came time to reattach... :roll: I decided I didn't like the effect and the profile wasn't quite what I was after, but that was the whole idea behind prototyping it in the first place: so I'd know what parts to turn differently on the "real" one.

But... well... :shrug:

?? Is the 'cork' in the show pic a different one to the other pics ??

Yep. Same plug. Just the different lighting, I guess.

Andy?

Well... that is the moniker my folks stuck on me.

But SSSSH! Don't tell anyone, OK? :U

Caveman
19th November 2007, 01:17 AM
Hey Skew - congrats:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: - top effort - and those are only prototypes:o.

joe greiner
19th November 2007, 02:00 AM
Great news, Skew. And obviously well deserved. Congratulations.

Well... that is the moniker my folks stuck on me.

Could be worse. No offense to my late Dad, but I'm tired of hauling my caboose (Jr.) around.

Joe

Gil Jones
19th November 2007, 02:58 AM
Wow, Skew, they are seriously fine looking pieces. First place awards well deserved:2tsup::2tsup:

artme
19th November 2007, 08:27 AM
What? Not best of show!:DSeriouslt though, that is a wonderful piece of work!!:):):U

wheelinround
19th November 2007, 08:39 AM
:hooray::way2go:

Well done Skew its a good feeling I did it with a photograph some years ago I didn't think it had a chance it helped bring in some work at the time.

orraloon
19th November 2007, 12:01 PM
A question Skew,
How is the handle fixed?

Regards
John

rodent
19th November 2007, 12:57 PM
Now you , jess and I have to get ready for the nunawading show . oops sorry christmas presents first .

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th November 2007, 01:23 PM
How is the handle fixed?

'Tis just glued with epoxy. I wanted to pin it with brass rod, but couldn't find my stash at the time of assembly. :B

The decanter itself is quite light, with a wall thickness only around 3-4mm, so the handle should suffice unless someone is silly enough to try to actually fill the thing with wet stuff...

Now you , jess and I have to get ready for the nunawading show . oops sorry christmas presents first .

I'm already thinking about the Nuna show. For Chrissy I can just offload some of these goblets or pens that are cluttering up the place... :U

OGYT
19th November 2007, 01:39 PM
Super well done, Skew. High Congratulations! Looks like the prototypes were spot on!

rsser
19th November 2007, 04:01 PM
Fine work Andy. Congrats!

philf
23rd November 2007, 09:11 PM
Congrats skew very nice indeed:2tsup:

Rgds,
Phil.

hughie
24th November 2007, 12:38 AM
:2tsup: musta been asleep, nearly missed the whole thread. :? :C

Good stuff!