PDA

View Full Version : Install prob(game)

Harry72
22nd November 2007, 10:32 PM
I brought a pinball game and cant get it to work:((

Its called Ultimate Pinball Extreme, was released here in Oz not long ago but been around since 2005.

It installs and loads as normal, you get the title screen and pinball table select screen(choose from 20 tables), but when you try and play a table it starts to load then gives the windows error sound(bzzzt!)
Brings up a "cant write to memory" error, I tried searching the net and found this type of problem has something to do with the "Data Execution Prevention" in XP sp2... the game proudly states on the front cover "XP compatible".
I've disabled the DEP but it doesn't make any difference:?

Contacted the company(Valuesoft) support and get the usual run around jargon from a desk jockie with absolutely no idea... did you turn off the antivirus YES have you got the latest drivers YES, is your computer speci enough... YES its actually way over spec'd for the game!
Ok if you access this menu click this and that... you can run defrag... dam I didnt know that:?
They must think everyone knows absolutely nothing about these things... even after you've told them what they suggest has been done:no:

Sorry we cant help you... can you send the disc back for a refund... yeah sure I'll send it back but the postage is worth more than the game(they're USA based):((

So anyone got any ideas?

DavidG
22nd November 2007, 10:53 PM
See if this (http://www.valusoftsupport.com/Results.asp?search=full&show=titles&results=20&submit=prod&pid=395)helps
Check your video card for compatability with the game.
Check for updates of the video driver.
See if you can swap from directx to 3D graphics or <>

Harry72
23rd November 2007, 11:35 PM
Yep done all that... before even going to the Valuesoft site:(

I fail to see how a game thats 3yrs old would need the very latest video drivers, but yes I have the latest updates for my computer.

les88
24th November 2007, 06:28 AM
try it on an old operating system, I ran it on W98 and W2000
les

Harry72
24th November 2007, 01:52 PM
Good idea, prob is I dont have an old OS handy. Might ask about a bit see if anyone I know is still running a dino OS.

munruben
24th November 2007, 02:12 PM
Try the compatibility wizard. Go to Start>Programs>Accessories>Program Compatibility Wizard. Then follow the prompts.
You may have already tried this but if you haven't its worth a shot.

Harry72
25th November 2007, 09:20 AM
Yeah did try that, didnt make any difference.
Thanks for your help guys, I dont think I will be able to get it going:(