PDA

View Full Version : Thread Chasing. How?

nfld steve
27th November 2007, 10:28 PM
http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Turning_Tools/Thread_Cutting/thread_cutting.html
I'm sorry,or stunned,lol,but I read the link,and still can't figure out how the thread chaser feeds in properly so the threads will work.:no:I know,I'm a bit stunn,but,in a nutshell,could one of yee tell me in a nutshell how this works?
Please!!!lol
I am intersested in learning this,and would LOVE to add this talent to some of my boxes,etc.
Thanks for your patience guys,Steve

nfld steve
27th November 2007, 10:30 PM
Oh,and also,I'll get up off my lazy butt and look around the internet for some info too:2tsup:,,,just thought of that,lol.:doh:
Thanks ,Steve

Pusser
27th November 2007, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry,or stunned,lol,but I read the link,and still can't figure out how the thread chaser feeds in properly so the threads will work.:no:I know,I'm a bit stunn,but,in a nutshell,could one of yee tell me in a nutshell how this works?
Please!!!lol
I am intersested in learning this,and would LOVE to add this talent to some of my boxes,etc.
Thanks for your patience guys,Steve

Don't feel bad, I asked the original question and was non the wiser after looking at the thread.

hughie
28th November 2007, 06:20 AM
Don't feel bad, I asked the original question and was non the wiser after looking at the thread.
[/QUOTE]

If you go to this site and look in the left hand column for "instructions" and click on it . Then scroll down till you see "thread cutting" pdf. This has one of the best set of graphics on how to cut a thread.

The dual tool simply has both tools combined in one but the method of cutting is exactly the same. By combining you only need to buy one, the design was just away of lowering the cost of thread cutting.

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/

Pusser
28th November 2007, 09:36 AM
Many thanks Hughie,

I have only cut threads on a metal lathe and that was 30 years ago at tech school. It was pretty easy as I recall, machine set up and feed rate were set. I had difficulty seeing how the feed was set using the wooden tool as I thought as you progressed it would cut off the thread you had formed. See how it works now. Yours certainly looks a smarter tool than the one in the instructions.

Frank&Earnest
28th November 2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks from me too, Hughie. I was also ignorant and waiting for an opportunity to find out...:wink: