PDA

View Full Version : What's this tool?

jimhanna
29th November 2007, 07:47 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the tools pictured below are.

I’ve bought a cheap copy lathe on offer at the local DIY shed (I saw Norm Abram use one once and thought it looked an easy way to make identical stuff) I’ve never used a lathe before and have been reading up online before jumping in, there’s a lot of info about conventional turning tools and techniques but I can’t find anything about copy lathe tooling.

I’m mystified by the long tool, it comes with three interchangeable circular discs which look as though they are the cutter but I can’t see how this would work, the smallest disc doesn’t protrude beyond the holder so I can’t see how it would contact the stock.

artme
29th November 2007, 09:45 PM
The top three are cutters for the duplicater. There should be a heavy cast iron base/post with a facility to take these cutters. They look ugly and may take some experimenting with to get them to cut properly. Apart fron a lathe that was manufactured in South Aus some years ago I've never seen one of these that works really well unless you are doing shallow , flowing curves
Your assumption about the others is correct. These interchangeable tips are for turnig. They are used on the inside of hollow forms to assist in getting into hard to reach spots. I don't think the small one would reach anything-as you suspect.
Its probably worth experimenting with all of these tools just to see what you think. I f you look up any turning tool catalogue you will probably see those round replaceable tips. I'll lay London to a brick on that the quality is in a different class though.:p
BTW I don"t gamble.

hughie
29th November 2007, 10:09 PM
They are all part of the copying setup by the look of it.The smaller interchangeable are tips most likely carbon steel, along with the cup type and so wont be as good a modern HSS.
To get the cup type to cut cleanly and smoothly it would need to rotated to some where around 30-45' so it will shear. Set up like it is would cause some heart stopping dig ins and most likely rip the work out of the chuck.
:o

Below are some links of where this type of cup cutter has evolved to. The Rolly Munro cutter now has Tungsten cutters
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&cat=1,330,49232&p=49127

The Ashely Isles cutter is perhaps the closest to your cutter.
http://www.ashleyiles.turningtools.co.uk/turntols/turntols1/turntols-pages/ringtool.html

Jim Carroll
30th November 2007, 08:08 AM
Hughie just to clarify something.

The Rolly Munro tools come with HSS cutters as standard and the TCT cutters are optional extras

hughie
30th November 2007, 11:15 PM
The Rolly Munro tools come with HSS cutters as standard and the TCT cutters are optional extras

No worries. :2tsup:

OGYT
1st December 2007, 01:18 PM
I believe the small cutter will work when hollowing on the inside of a bowl, if it is turned as Hughie suggested... It will work on a curved piece, and will probably work well on the inside of an undercut rim...

orraloon
1st December 2007, 02:08 PM
I have a tool with replacement round cutters similar to the bottom one. It is made by Bruce Leadbetter (Leady Lathes). It can be made to do most cuts but is mostly for hollowing. It is presented at center height with the cutting ring held at about 45* so that instead of wanting to dig in it will roll the tool if you get a catch. The handle has a stripe so you can maintain the correct angle inside a hollow. To sharpen there is a jig to fit in a drill and rotate the ring on an oil stone. I will post some picks when I get the chance.

Regards
John

orraloon
5th December 2007, 02:58 PM
As promised pics of cutter with sharpening jig.

Regards
John