PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning Chisel Angles

Woodgrub
13th November 2003, 03:04 AM
Chisel Sharpening Angles

I have made a sharpening jig that was featured in the American Woodworker Mag Jan 2003, that uses sandpaper disc's of various grades to sharpen chisels, planner blades, etc.
It has a dial adjustment for the bevel angle setting from 25 to 40 deg. Mime has been modified to use hook & loop + better T slot with no magnets used to hold the tool.

What I need is the bevel angles to set for various chisels used in woodcrafting from Gouges to Scrapers to Bench Chisels to Planer Blades

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SETTINGS FOR ALL THE ANGLES OF A SKEW CHISEL
Particularly the angle (not the bevel) across the width :confused:

Any help appreciated
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gatiep
13th November 2003, 07:16 PM
Accross the width usually 70 Deg.

With turning tools you can ask 10 turners and you will get 10 different answers. What works for one, may not work for the next bloke, it varies with experience, type of turning, type of timber etc etc etc.

For that reason, the manufacturers shape the angles the way they think and as soon as a guy gets home with his new turning tools, he'll change the angles and shape.

I've been turning for about 50 years and the shapes of tools, the shapes of the gouges and the angles have changed ad infinitum in the 50 years

Good luck
Joe

Have fun....................keep turnin

Spike
13th November 2003, 09:16 PM
The profile of a Skew is 70 deg with a 25 deg grinding angle on both sides.

I agree with gatiep, every turner has their own favourite angle for turning. Most woodturning books on the market usually devote a chapter to sharpening and show the angles to grind your tools.

Have fun

Cheers
Spike

reuelt
15th November 2003, 06:01 AM
Angle for the bevel for the gouge and chisels can vary between 20 degrees and 40 degrees, following the general rule of a greater angle for harder or more textured wood. I like 35 degrees but many set their bevel to 30 deg.

The skew angle of the straight skew is typically set at 70 deg. (55 deg being the minimum). Better to convert your straight skew to an "Oval" type skew so 70 deg become the tangant of the arc.

The skew of Parting tools are typically set at 55 deg.

Woodgrub
17th November 2003, 12:33 AM
Thanks to ya all.
You 'ave answered me with more than what I wanted.
70 deg was what I needed to know and I will try it tomorrw.
I have 'ad a go at turning only once so far, but want to take it up.
Have got the loan of a Record Lathe for as long as I want so will learn to do turning on it. Also loaned me the basic set of chisels to go with it, but they is as blunt as ....! and in desperate need of a sharpen.
Won't be buying it (the lathe) as I don't like having to use so many spanners and allen keys to move the rests.
Will look at making some Jackard type handles to use.
Am member of local wood club so will pester the experienced wood turner for more lessons soonest.

Kind regards,

Tony