PDA

View Full Version : Drill press extension table

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:42 PM
My drill press has now found its permanent home next to the SCMS and when raised does not interfere with the saw. It is built similar to most drill press extension tables except it is connected to my dust collector.

Peter.

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:44 PM
This photo shows it installed .

Peter.

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:46 PM
I cut a section out of the original table and built a box onto it which connects to the DC.

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:47 PM
This is the cut out

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:50 PM
THe table attaches to the box with bolts and wingnuts. The fence is also connected to the DC. A number of stops and hold downs are shown.

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:51 PM
THis shows the shelf pin hole drilling jig.

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:53 PM
And because the weight of the whole unit is now to heavy to lift by hand and mine does not have a winder attached I built in an old hydraulic car jack to lift it from underneath.

Peter.

GCP310
16th November 2003, 08:51 PM
Thats a great idea, using the hydralic jack.

Is that T Track the same stuff as mentioned elsewhere on this site, sail track from capral? I rang them just last week, $16.00 for a 6m length.

Love this site, so many great ideas.

G

Sturdee
17th November 2003, 09:36 AM
GCP310,

Yes it is the same track, in Melbourne they sell it for $11 per 4 metre lenghts.

Peter.

gatiep
17th November 2003, 01:29 PM
Peter

That white, spotlessly clean workshop of yours reminds me of a operating theatre in a hospital. Is it sterile and have you got surgeons using it?

( Jealousy will get you nowhere Joe )

Very impressive shop, must have taken hours of planning and a lot of hard yakka.......well done!

Cya

Joe

Have fun........................keep turnin

Gumby
17th November 2003, 02:14 PM
Hey Pete ! If you look really hard at the first photo (maybe a minute or so) then you'll see a small speck of dust behind the drill press, tucked away in tghe corner. It's hiding there and it looks to be the only survivor of it's species around. GO GET HIM !!!

(but seriously, I love the look of your shop)

Sturdee
17th November 2003, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys,

The shop is painted white mainly to improve the light as I have no windows at all and it is also a very restfull colour. That it stays clean is because of the effective dust extraction and a weekly sweepout.

Peter.

woodbutcher
16th December 2003, 06:38 PM
My god what a set up !! You could sell tickets to see that workshop. Looks fantastic . I, like a most part time woodies, am in never ending process of trying to find suitable places to mount existing and new machines. So far I have no dust extraction system but after spending all last weekend cleaning up and inhaling shavings and dust, It is now becoming a priority, as is carefull planning of the placement of curtains /screens to section off my garage. Any tips or suggestions on where to start when contemplating the dust extraction. ( I.e. Hoze sizes, vacuum cleaner options, or the real McCoy) I need to do this but don't need to spend big bucks if I can get away with it. I have a bench saw/jointer, router table, drill press and soon a SCMS and one day possibly a small thicknesser. Any thoughts would be usefull.

Regards The woodbutcher.

Sturdee
16th December 2003, 07:07 PM
Woodbutcher,

Thanks for your comments.

I suggest you search this board for Cyclones, Dust Collection and Mini Cyclones there is a wealth of information available. Also do a general web search for above.

For general cleanup a vacuum cleaner with my Triton dust bucket minicyclone mod. is suitable and then you will need to decide on either a fixed setup with ducting to each machine or a mobile one that you move to each machine when required. This decision will decide what DC you will need.

An other alternative in the short term would be to use the Triton powered dust resparator.

Peter.

woodbutcher
17th December 2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks Peter

I'll have a good look around the board as suggested. Interseting to see how you set up your workshop and a few other good set up ideas I've seen here. Thanks & regards.

Nick

DavidW
17th December 2003, 11:27 AM
Woodbutcher

I went with a 2HP dust collector with the intention of turning it into a cyclone and installing ducting later. This is now on hold due to a pending move which I have wheeled and dealed with the boss to include a dedicated 9X7.5 workshop woohoo!!

Another invaluable tool for cleanup is an air compressor. I have the little GMC $99.00 jobie and on a suitably windy day open the garage doors and windows and blow it all out. Beats trying to vacuum a 3 car garage with all the family crap in it.

woodbutcher
17th December 2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks, I'll keep that all in mind. I am not sure how these cyclone things work but I have my eye on an old dust extarction system at work that I may be able to get at the right price, if so that may well do the job and I hope may lend itself to a ducted system once I get my machine placement sorted out. I am trying to get everything in it's logical place and then screen the area off where all the sawdist is generated. 2/3 of the garage is for houshold and car storage and the back 1/3 is my bit. I have recently bought an old commpressor and to be honest had not even though of using that. It may be a good ineterimn solution once I find a permanent home for it. Last weekend I ended up using the blower vac which worked well but makes one helluva noise and then I had to suck up all the crap from the drive way, including several fixtures and fittings. I think the blower vac maybee a wee bit of an overkill. I'll sus out this cyclone thing.

Regards Nick

P.S. Like the sound of the new workshop. Maybee if I get mine looking a bit more like yours I may be able to squeeze a bit more acreage out of the missus.

DavidW
17th December 2003, 02:14 PM
That new workshop is still about 6 months away, we havent decided on the new block yet. My current situation is like many others, I have 1 bay of a triple bay garage with all my gear crammed into an area to small to work in.

Lately my car has been living outside while I work on my daughters xmas present at night but when a storm comes i have to clear the space for the car.

It will be an expensive workshop when you include the cost of the pool (you recall I mentioned wheeling and dealing) but IMO its worth it to have an area I can set up exactly how I want it.

Sturdee
17th December 2003, 07:57 PM
David,

When you get set up post some pictures of your new shop.
I am always interested to see other ideas.

Peter.

woodbutcher
18th December 2003, 10:19 AM
Likewise, always interested to see how others set up thier sheds.

Regards Nick

DavidW
18th December 2003, 08:59 PM
No worries, its my intention to bore everyone to tears next year with progress pictures over a period of months, thats if santa is forthcoming.

As for the set up I intend to borrow from everyone here there and everywhere like your light coloured wall, Waynes cyclone and 6"ducting and if theres space, Norm's finishing room. I am fortunate that I will be starting from scratch so i can build it to suit my current and future equipment (mostly future).

I started a new job about 6 weeks ago and there is a sheet metal shop there so a few well placed home brews and hopefully the metalwork for the cyclone will be done profesionally.

I'm getting all excited now and its still many months away.