PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah Mycorrhiza fungus

dadpad
6th December 2007, 08:24 PM
I have heard that Jarra has a particular Mycorrhiza associated with it. We are attempting to grow this tree in a trial plantation and are seeking any information that foresters or others with an interest may wish to impart.

One thing I feel may assist is innoculation of seedlings with native Mycorrhiza.

Does anyone know if Mycorrhiza specific to Jarra is available.

Does the Mycorrhiza need to be specific to jarra?

rod1949
7th December 2007, 09:52 AM
Interesting... You're a Silviculturist and you're asking a mob of no hoppers :D. One would think you would know and or where to research what you need to know:?.

Incidently if you mean Jarrah then it has "h" on the end.

dadpad
7th December 2007, 05:19 PM
A silviculturist not a microbiologist.

And if you mean "no hopers" it doesnt have a double p.

I've always had a fair amount of respect for the members on this forum. The depth and breadth of experience and qualification never cease to amaze me. Those I have come into contact with certainly are not "no hopers"
...With the possible exception of 1.

PAH1
10th December 2007, 12:25 PM
Mycorrhiza are a right royal pain in the backside to culture, the answer to whether they are available is almost certainly not. There are some bacteria available, CSIRO have a product that was originally for wattles, however they have now found that it helps establishment of Euc's as well. The only way to transfer may be to obtain a moderate sized sapling move it and hope that the mycorrhiza move around, which they do tend to do.

dadpad
10th December 2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks PAH1. I was aware of the wattle product but unsure of its usefullness with eucs.

I have some feelers out with researchers in WA But nothing really concrete yet.
It may be a case of trying the wattle product. suck it and see. I am hoping to get it applied at prick out in the nursery as I understand it needs to be direct root system contact.

Ramps
10th December 2007, 11:14 PM
Dadpad

I can't answer your question straight off but I know a couple of people in the game so hassle me again on this thread if I haven't got back you within the week.

I spose you've seen the work on the web by Lyn Abbott and Mark Brundrett, no that it will necessarily help with your pursuit to find a compatible fungi over your side of the world (that will survive the snow ... which we don't have in the Jarrah forests ... but you prob know that too).

A small dose of P and K might do the job anyway ... in fact it would be worth doing a comparison of P and K in the native soils anyway ... you might find that there's no real advantages.

On saying all that I will still ask around ...

dadpad
11th December 2007, 05:14 PM
I'ne had correspondance with both Lyn Abbott and Mark Brundrett since my first post.
Research seem to indicate (at this time at least) that there is little value in innoculating with ECM fungi where soil fertilitity has been maintained with the use of artificial fertiliser.

It may well be that ECM fungi prove their worth in older stands by maintaining soil nutrients consistently rather than the bump and slide you get with chemical additions.
These conclusions are mine and based on research conducted in 1998 and 1999.

I have drawn the conclusion (at this time) that it would be more cost effective to apply NPK and trace at establishment and allow ECM to establish later in the plantations life through it's natural vectors.

The Question of specific ECM for Jarrah seems irrelevant.

Any more recent observations are welcome. I'm very open on this.

Ramps ask around and see what you can turn up. No snow where i'm planting these.
What is the (round about) natural rainfall for Jarrah country?

Ramps
11th December 2007, 09:51 PM
Ramps ask around and see what you can turn up. No snow where i'm planting these.
What is the (round about) natural rainfall for Jarrah country?

Mostly in the 600 - 1000 mm range but they do survive in the 500mm zone and grow really well up the 1300mm near Dwellingup. Better Jarrah above about 800mm.

Lynn taught me at uni ... it was her first year of teaching ... have run into her since. I feel you're right with the light dose of NPK +trace and as long as the soil isn't too artificially fertilised I reckon the native VAMs and/or ECMs will build up ... but who knows ... it might be you (next) PhD.

Talk later