PDA

View Full Version : Eccentric? or not?

joe greiner
10th December 2007, 05:17 PM
This may, or may not, qualify as eccentric turning. I thought I'd get an interesting grain pattern by attaching a built-up slab of plywood disks to a waste block with a slight bevel on the block. Two or three degrees seemed about right. The plywood is very ordinary; probably CD-X, three plies at about 5/32" (4mm) each, and three such disks to make the slab. The plywood glue seems to be phenol-formaldehyde (dark brown), whereas I used yellow wood glue for the build-up. If I had access to individual thick veneers, I'd prefer to make my own sandwich from scratch, so that the glue lines would all be the same colour. The finish is gloss polyurethane over sanding sealer. Nine inches (225mm) diameter, final height 3/4" (19mm).

For our WT club's Show'n'Tell of 4 Dec, I added a couple bagels with cream cheese. OK, OK, actually half-bagels if you prefer. To simulate a toasted bread appearance, I used mulberry with shellac finish, burnished from wet to dry at high speed; almost, but not quite, French polishing according to my imperfect understanding. The bagels are 3.5" (90mm) diameter x 3/4" (19mm) thick. The "cream cheese" is spackling compound.

Our December meeting is also our Christmas party, with spouses or whatever. Everybody brings a dish for a group buffet. I considered placing this on the food table, but persuaded myself against it.

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th December 2007, 07:17 PM
I don't know that the bagels are to my taste :U but overall it's come up nicely. :2tsup:

Even ordinary ply has an inner beauty if you know how to bring it out, eh?

artme
10th December 2007, 08:22 PM
Nice bit of work. A simple process to add a point of difference.:2tsup::2tsup::U

Just today I was out and saw some work done with thick ply and it gave me a few ideas.

hughie
11th December 2007, 06:08 AM
Joe. An interesting effect. Theres life in plywood for those who have the imagination to see it .
Probably go with your idea of building the plywood up from scratch to control the glue lines

OGYT
12th December 2007, 03:59 AM
Gotta good kick out of this one, Joe... imaginin' Her Majesty chompin' down on the bagel. :D They look real enough...
Pretty sharp mind, there, for a young-un. :)

joe greiner
13th December 2007, 10:28 PM
...., for a young-un. :)

Never too late to have a happy childhood. Better toys affordable now, too.

Joe

hughie
13th December 2007, 11:36 PM
Never too late to have a happy childhood. Better toys affordable now, too.

:U:U:U:U