PDA

View Full Version : New Chuck from Gary Pye

Barry_White
12th December 2007, 07:32 AM
Gary Pye has finally got his own chuck in, see it here.

http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107445143

wheelinround
12th December 2007, 08:46 AM
Saw it yesterday Barry while browsing the kit doesn't look bad either with a number of jaw's http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107445144 for $195 thats not bad wonder what the quality is like the 24 indexing feature looks a big plus :2tsup: large range of insert sizes to suit most Lathe threads

switt775
12th December 2007, 09:02 AM
Mine just arrived yesterday, I'm hoping to try it out this weekend and will let you know. First impressions are good ( as in it looks good, nicely finished).

R.B.
12th December 2007, 09:03 AM
looks interesting.. being compatible with nova jaws is a bonus. I'd like to see (as I would with other chucks) a light version available, the last thing I need is another set of 50mm jaws knocking around with the rest.
Jim sold me a light version of the sn2 but I think I heard wind of that being fazed out?

OGYT
12th December 2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the headsup, Bazza. I emailed Gary to get some more information on the GPW100. I'll pass on what I learn. It looks good, though, doesn't it? :D

Barry_White
12th December 2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the headsup, Bazza. I emailed Gary to get some more information on the GPW100. I'll pass on what I learn. It looks good, though, doesn't it? :D

The thing I like about Gary Pye is he tries to have the best at the best price with the service to go with it.

funkychicken
12th December 2007, 08:54 PM
So should I get that or a g3?

joe greiner
12th December 2007, 09:32 PM
Seems hard to beat Gary Pye's deal, especially on the whole kit. In Oosa, CSUSA has the G3 with insert and 2" dovetail jaws for US$145. More for the extra jaws. Their pic doesn't show an indexing ring either. Even Grizzly's clone might not compete: about US$140 with only three sets of jaws (slight gap in the overall diameter range). Oddly enough, Grizzly doesn't mention the indexing ring; although shown in their pic, 'twas a bit of a surprise when I got mine.

Joe

TTIT
13th December 2007, 12:43 AM
My mate just got his today and bought it round to gloat! Not a bad looking setup for $195 with all the extra jaws (stepped, bowl and pin). The whole thing looks quite well made and the indexing is actually better than his SuperNova ( no missing holes!). Even the standard jaws are serated like shark jaws so it should grip anything and it seems to have more travel than the SuperNova too.
He hadn't even tried it on the headstock for true yet but if that bit goes OK, I'd call it a damned good deal:U - unlike my chaiwanese Vicmark copy that had to have the adaptor replaced it ran out so far!:~

hughie
13th December 2007, 06:10 AM
I also note that the serations are right out to the edge of the jaws. :2tsup:

Not like my SN2 which used to have a fairly deep chamfer. So much so I machined it off. Some thing that I found very annoying from time to time.

Barry_White
13th December 2007, 07:12 AM
So should I get that or a g3?

I may be wrong but I don't think there is a backing plate on the the G3 to keep the dust out of the workings.

Big Shed
13th December 2007, 07:40 AM
I may be wrong but I don't think there is a backing plate on the the G3 to keep the dust out of the workings.

You're right Barry, there isn't. Don't know how much of a problem that will be.

switt775
13th December 2007, 08:42 AM
Had a quick look at my new GPW chuck last night and am very impressed. You know that feeling when you pick up a new tool and it just feels right? That's what I had. Everything looks and feels good. No rough edges, no dodgy painting or plating, feels solid, action is smooth.

My prior experience was with a cheap chinese chuck, and this is very very much better. I haven't used it in anger yet, or tried to change the jaws, but given my previous experience with GPW (limited but all good), I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. :2tsup::2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
13th December 2007, 11:05 AM
He hadn't even tried it on the headstock for true yet but if that bit goes OK, I'd call it a damned good deal:U

As soon as you post that it did run true, I'll press the "send order" button!:wink:

TTIT
14th December 2007, 10:53 PM
As soon as you post that it did run true, I'll press the "send order" button!:wink:My mate tells me that the chuck runs true even though the index plate on the back seems to have a bit of a wobble. The only things he's not 100% happy with is a couple of sticky spots in the movement which will probably loosen up with use and there is no locking screw to hold the chuck and adaptor together which isn't a huge problem either. All up, it's still pretty good value but as always, you get what you pay for. Like Tim said, it just doesn't have the 'feel of quality' like his SN :shrug:

robyn2839
14th December 2007, 11:03 PM
dont like the chuck key, looks awkward to me just like the nova key, i ground the key ,s end down so it was just like an allan key , about 200%improvement on the way it was, (dont knock it till you have tried it ) seems more sturdy when tightening.bob

ss_11000
14th December 2007, 11:07 PM
the jaws are compatible with nova chucks right?

well, does any one else see this as a cheaper way to buy spare jaws and a spare chuck.

wheelinround
15th December 2007, 09:47 AM
the jaws are compatible with nova chucks right?

well, does any one else see this as a cheaper way to buy spare jaws and a spare chuck.

Unless you are lucky enough to get a top bargain from USA eh Stirlo

I like the package deal will have to wait till I find out whats happening with the Jet Mini everything on hold till then

Frank&Earnest
15th December 2007, 10:51 AM
All up, it's still pretty good value but as always, you get what you pay for. Like Tim said, it just doesn't have the 'feel of quality' like his SN :shrug:

Thanks Vern. I'll see how I go with rectifying my SN2. If I can get it to 100% I'll buy more of these, otherwise I'll give the GPW a try- if nothing else for the spare jaws. If neither is brilliant, will try Vicmarc. Life is full of trying things:D.

wazzaboyz
15th December 2007, 12:29 PM
Hi Guys

I ordered the new gpw chuck on Wednesday and it turned up thursday arvo in Clayton Vic , not bad service from QLD. I thought it looked good as soon as I opened the box. The first thing I did was check for play in the jaw slides as my SN2 has been sloppy since day 1, well it certainly was very good. The other thing I liked was the jaw travel was far better and it has a grubscrew under jaw 4 which can be removed very easy,I have not pulled apart my SN2 but the jaw travel is somehow fixed internally i think. I put the chuck on my VL300 and it screwed right up to the shoudler,my SN2 needs a spacer. Well I turned it on and yes it ran very true, no wobble . I really do like the standard jaw that the chuck comes with, I used it to turn a bowl 250mm and it hung on very well. As far as the chuck key is concerned it is square not allan style with a sliding bar, I find it works O.K not sure what Robyn means by grinding it down. Overall I am very happy with it, I personally think it is better then my SN2, It seems similar to a VM100 with the insert and backing plate and the feel with the tighter jaw slides this gives it a different feel when tightnening or loosening to the SN2. The package is well priced and with 3 extra jaws it is simple to see the value. I hope they bring out a bigger cole jaw for it.
Warren Boyd

OGYT
17th December 2007, 06:38 AM
Here's my answer from Gary Pye: :(
Thanks for your email.
At this stage we intend to only sell the chuck in Australia,maybe in 12 months we will sell it overseas. The chuck is made in China by a company contracted to us, the back is enclosed. We also have a bigger chuck in development.
-- Best Regards
Gary Pye
From all these posts I've read, it sounds like a pretty good buy!
Didn't see an answer to: Are the Nova Jaws compatable with the GPW?

rsser
17th December 2007, 07:04 AM
Jaw travel on my SN2 is around 20mm; on the Vicmarc 100 its around 30mm FWIW.

The chamfers on Teknatool jaws are a PITA. I don't understand why they don't listen to their customers.

ss_11000
17th December 2007, 10:44 AM
Here's my answer from Gary Pye: :(
Thanks for your email.
At this stage we intend to only sell the chuck in Australia,maybe in 12 months we will sell it overseas. The chuck is made in China by a company contracted to us, the back is enclosed. We also have a bigger chuck in development.
-- Best Regards
Gary Pye
From all these posts I've read, it sounds like a pretty good buy!
Didn't see an answer to: Are the Nova Jaws compatable with the GPW?
you could always get an aussie to buy it for you and post it. it would probably cost less in postage anyway:)