PDA

View Full Version : mc1100 inside thread....

killerbeast
13th December 2007, 05:24 PM
i want to make me a handwheel for my 1100... makes it easyer to sand by hand :oo: but havent got a clue what kind of thread is on the other end of the headstock..... anybody know ???

BernieP
13th December 2007, 05:52 PM
G'Day Rasmus

Left Hand thread UNC, can't remember thread size but get a piece of dowel and screw in to get thread to compare. Don't forget to leave a hole in handwheel to inset bar to knockout centre.

Cheers
Bernie

joe greiner
13th December 2007, 09:42 PM
Most likely left-hand, but possibly not UNC. My HF34706 is nearly identical to MC900, and both seem to be clones of similar-size Jet. These are 1/2-12 UNS, not 1/2-13 UNC. To quote an old computer magazine, the nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. Some folks have persuaded 1/2-13 into engagement with 1/2-12, but doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Like Bernie says, use a dowel to discover the thread pitch. Carve or turn a very long taper on the dowel. I've used such a dowel directly as the drive shaft for an auxiliary rotisserie drive.

Considering the need for a lock nut and a hollow bolt to accommodate the knockout bar, it might be best to have the bolt and nut made by a machinist to suit the spindle.

[A current thread in the Metalwork Forum suggests that the threads may be 1/2-12 BSW (55 degrees), not 1/2-12 UNS (60 degrees). Like I said, so many standards to choose from.]

Joe