PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Maintenance

HappyHammer
14th December 2007, 10:05 AM
I've been looking at the pile of shavings on the shed floor and thinking I should clean them up before some varmit comes along and makes them home:o. This of course should be done after I clean the lathe which I have not done since I started turning on it a month or so ago.:B

I have an MC1100 and wondered what you guys did as far as maintenance on your lathes and hopw frequently (particularly interested in Skews answer to this:U)

I'm thinking the following but as I have no idea thought I'd put it out there to see if I could come up with a repeatable plan, that I may or may not follow, to ensure the old girl runs smoothly for some time to come, your input appreciated as always.

Monthly Maintenance ?

Use DC to remove major dust and shavings from bed and head and tail stock (Might even do the shelf, maybe:U)
Remove Headstock cover and use soft dustpan brush to dislodge dust etc. then use DC to extract dust.
Check condition of belt (Now I say this but I have never removed the cover so I have no idea what it looks like under there)
Use Inox or Linox or parts under the hood?
Replace headstock cover.
Use Inox or Linox on exposed metal parts of bed and wipe off excess
Use Inox or Linox on speed lever? wipe off excessSpares to have handy

Spare Belt(s) idea where I can get some, are they phased out over time? are some harder to get than others? (ed. OK enough:no:)
Nuts and Bolts for head, tail and tools rest?
Anything else?Auxilliary Tools for Lathes

Modified (ground) steel spanner to replace flimsy one supplied.
Old tooth brushes for getting to those hard to reach places.:UHH.

Gra
14th December 2007, 10:07 AM
poke dusty nose at end of motor to suck out the dust from the fan (I do this every couple of days that I turn)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th December 2007, 12:51 PM
Maintenance? You mean we're s'posed to do more than just shovel an access way up to 'em once the shavings become knee deep? :doh:

Seriously, your plan looks perfectly sensible to me. Personally I don't have such a schedule... but I do give mine a quick "once-over" before every session. If the bed needs cleaning, it gets a quick squirt of WD40 and a wipe down with steel wool. Any time the speed lever seems even a tad stiff, it too gets a squirt of WD40, along with the pulleys. Ditto for my live centres, chuck, etc. Note: WD40 doesn't last long... but it's cheap and as long as I use it regiularly I've found it's fine. :) (It definitely does not provide long term protection though. Inox is far better for that, if you want long term protection of the ways.)

My modified MC-900 (the one with the added lay shaft) has oilers on the bearings, so they're lubed as needed. And before, after and during turning I give the whole lathe a blown down with an air hose, including the motor, etc.

IMHO it doesn't really matter how you schedule your maintenance, so long as it's regular, thorough and you use common sense.

Spares? Definitely a belt, I know there those who will cringe when I say this... but I simply took mine into the local speed shop and matched it up for size with a fan belt. :B Sure, it's a slightly different angle but it soon seats in and I can't say it's caused any damage to an any of my lathes. (Except for the little Leda, for which I can't find a fan-belt small enough... :shrug:)

I'd also suggest keeping a spare nut for the underside of the banjo. Talking of which: a spare banjo is a handy thing, as you can run two tool rests side by side or have an extra long one made that uses both. A spare banjo also comes in handy for holding the DC hood.

As for auxiliary tools... where do I start? :think::U

arose62
14th December 2007, 01:09 PM
Here's what it looks like inside:

http://people.aapt.net.au/rosefamily/SplitPulleys.jpg

http://people.aapt.net.au/rosefamily/RearSplitPulley.jpg

http://people.aapt.net.au/rosefamily/FrontSplitPulley.jpg

Smooth any rough edges on the pulleys.
Be sparing with the Inox - you don't want it flinging up onto the belts.

I squirt it into the spring shown in RearSplitPulley, and the shaft shown to the right hand side in FrontSplitPulley.
I found that smoothing the key in the rear pulley shaft made a big difference in how easy the speed change worked.

Cleaning the lathe is as good an excuse for buying an air compressor as I can think of:D

http://people.aapt.net.au/rosefamily/LatheSpeedChange.MOV
shows how my lathe was after cleaning.

Cheers,
Andrew

DavidG
14th December 2007, 01:18 PM
I just use the compressed air to move the dust from one place to another. :;
I blow out the motor and electronics, vacuum up the displaced dust in that area and just blow everything else.

Give the bed a wipe with the bowl oiling/waxing cloth every now and then.

Scrape off the built up ring of resin, wax, oil and polish.

Occasionally I vacuum floor. Normally just a shovel out.

rsser
14th December 2007, 01:36 PM
Don't forget a cut and polish of the painted parts ;-}

HappyHammer
14th December 2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks to all for the replies....

Spares? Definitely a belt, I know there those who will cringe when I say this... but I simply took mine into the local speed shop and matched it up for size with a fan belt. :B Sure, it's a slightly different angle but it soon seats in and I can't say it's caused any damage to an any of my lathes. (Except for the little Leda, for which I can't find a fan-belt small enough... :shrug:)
Anyone else use fanbelts?:o

Here's what it looks like inside:

Cleaning the lathe is as good an excuse for buying an air compressor as I can think of:D
Thanks Andrew I won't be too scared when I pull the cover off now.:B

HH.

wheelinround
14th December 2007, 02:15 PM
I clean mine up every time I use it well the dust and shavings anyway. Every other time I wipe it down and spray it WD40.
If the is residue on the bed I use Mineral Turps and steel wool and wipe a wax on after.

A spare belt is an good idea must ask MWE where to get one.

Polish the paint :oo: obviously your paint work isn't on casting.

Yes compressor got to go and borrow sons permanently or buy one.

HappyHammer
14th December 2007, 02:22 PM
.......and wipe a wax on after.
what wax Bees?

HH.

Gra
14th December 2007, 02:33 PM
what wax Bees?

HH.

The bee mafia:U

Calm
14th December 2007, 02:42 PM
I have a spare belt hanging somewhere (purchased at retail belt outlet "M" section), occasionly blow it clean with the air conmpressor, especially the motor and the pulleys referred too in an earlier thread get wd40 when the bloody things wont move.

So from a man who made his living on maintenance i do nothing really until its needed. Yep i should do it but it never gets done, shavings well i am storing them on the general floor location till someone finds a use for them.

I admire those with a strong commitment but someone had to be honest didnt they?

wheelinround
14th December 2007, 02:55 PM
yes HH its a real old tin just about gone and cant find it anywhere Durosil Wax even use it on some timber turnings.
Makes the bed smooth as silk to run along with tailstock and banjo leaves a coating to prevent rust.

Did I see anyone scrap the underside of the tailstock or banjo for gum etc. I have a couple of times.

There's a timely warning anyone buying a new lathe remove the tailstock and banjo very carefull and fully clean the wax they use to protect it during shipping off the bed scarp the bottom of the tailstock and bandjo too. When I opened my lathe got it out of the box I accidently kcocked one of the locking levers (not sure which one) sliding it along the bed prior removing the wax :doh: I now have a permanent score make from grit imbeded in he wax.

LOML has found a use for some shavings if your swmbo is into fibre arts etc they can be socked and used as dye's for colouring wool etc.

rsser
14th December 2007, 03:00 PM
Acc. to our esteemed Mod a bit of rust on the bed helps the banjo to grip.

Well that's my rationalisation and I'm sticking to it ;-}

HappyHammer
14th December 2007, 03:15 PM
I used steel wool and Lanox on my bed 'cause the banjo and tail stock were sticking and it runs real smooth now. I used the Lanox on the bed of my Jointer too seems to be keeping the sea salt rust away.:2tsup:

Lanox is Inox with Lanoline added.

HH.

wheelinround
14th December 2007, 03:55 PM
Just remember steel wool is an abrasive and over time will wear down the bed leaving the machining of the bed & tailstock and headstock misalligned :p might be 25 yrs or so dependig on how hard you rub. :D

HappyHammer
14th December 2007, 04:12 PM
I did it just hard enough to remove the slight film of surface rust that had appeared. But I'm hoping the Lanox will keep that at bay and prevent any further need for the steel wool.:;

HH.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th December 2007, 05:54 PM
Anyone expecting to get 25 years from an MC-xxx without needing to re-shim the head-/tail-stock at some stage is... "extremely optimistic." :innocent:

robyn2839
14th December 2007, 06:56 PM
i clean mine after every use ,vacuam, feather duster,clean shavings from floor,then silicon spray then wipe over, all shiny new again, its great using a new lathe every time i turn, only two problems are the shellawax on the bed ,and up the wall , nothing gets that stuff off.and half rusty bloody nova chucks .going to try the new gpw chuck .bob

hughie
14th December 2007, 08:41 PM
Well that's my rationalisation and I'm sticking to it ;-}

:U:2tsup::U

Pat
14th December 2007, 09:56 PM
On the new Beastie TL1000 . . . Silverglide on the bed, Bike Lube on the spindle thread

lubbing5cherubs
14th December 2007, 10:12 PM
When I first got my lathe I asked the same question and this was the answer I got on another board. I think it cool.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smText vAlign=top background="" bgColor=#f8f8fc>
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 999 </TD><TD class=text vAlign=top background="" bgColor=#f8f8fc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smText width="80%">Posted: 06/May/2006 at 3:44am | IP Logged </TD><TD noWrap align=right width="20%">http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/forum_images/report_icon.gif (http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/report_post.asp?PID=17978&FID=13&TID=1926&TPN=1) </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- Message body -->Toni, this is a very private matter but since you asked I will let you in on it. first off when I enter the shop I anounce my arrival and then procede to rub the headstock and tell it I missed it. Then after making sure that all the separation anxioties have subsided I very quitely insert my mandrel and install my blanks. I turn the mandrel nut just so gingerly so as not to cause any pain. Then I sneek up to the switch and turn it on. Once it is up to speed, I take care of business then I shut er down and remove my work. Once the newborn is taken from it I procede to comfort it and once again rub it down. I tell it a bedtime story cover it with a blanket and put it to sleep. I leave the night light on for it because I think its scared of the dark Give it a kiss goodnight and tell it i'll see it tommorrow.

Now on the serious side. I just wipe it down with a brush and use the blow gun to blow out the motor and the pulley areas. If I get any surface rust on the lathebed I use some fine steel wool to clean it up. I then apply some topcoat to it. If you don't have topcoat available to you I have friends that just coat all thier machinery with furniture polish such as pledge and wipe it down. as long as you keep it lubed and clean it will last you a long time.
<!-- Signature -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

HappyHammer
14th December 2007, 10:22 PM
SWMBO is already conviced I'm having an affair with the Lathe.:o

However it seems as long as I continue to produce stuff she's happy to turn a blind eye.:;

HH.

ss_11000
14th December 2007, 10:38 PM
Check condition of belt (Now I say this but I have never removed the cover so I have no idea what it looks like under there.took me 2 yrs (23 months ) for me to see whats under there:-

what wax Bees?

HH.

i use trad wax...anyone else use it? (on the lathe bed dipstick:p)

Pat
14th December 2007, 10:38 PM
HH, MBGitW, just broke the fruit bowl, next thing was " I need afruit bowl, why don't you make it?" I respond I need to goto Brad's!!!!! I have a bit of pine that can do the job, but I have permission to get a bowl blank 8" or so . . .

powderpost
14th December 2007, 10:43 PM
Maintenance........ what maintenance? If it ain't broke, don't fix it..... The belt on my 25 year old Woodfast, is still in excellent condition, even after 10 years of semi-professional turning. And that's only one machine.
Jim

Pat
14th December 2007, 10:54 PM
I got a meter of Link belt for the new lathe, it don't fit . . . bugger!

wheelinround
15th December 2007, 08:49 AM
Anyone expecting to get 25 years from an MC-xxx without needing to re-shim the head-/tail-stock at some stage is... "extremely optimistic." :innocent:

In 25 years it will be someone else's problem :2tsup:

Manuka Jock
15th December 2007, 11:45 AM
In 25 years , we might be using something akin to laser or plasma cutters on our lathes . :)
Who knows what they will look like :p

rsser
15th December 2007, 11:59 AM
Hmm.

Should go through the side of a hollow form quicker than ever ;-}

Then I guess we'll be using CNC anyway and all the fun and cursing will go out of it.

TTIT
15th December 2007, 12:13 PM

Well that's my rationalisation and I'm sticking to it ;-}My bed was gettin' a little too grippy so I slapped on some 'Wattyl wax' I found in dad's gear - banjo ended up floating through the air twice - a little too slippy:B