PDA

View Full Version : TurnFest At DJ's Report

PenTurner
16th December 2007, 05:53 PM
As reported in the past, it is great to meet up with fellow woodturners and today was no exception, from 10 AM onwards we started "turning up". Looks like was there first and made chief instructor of the day, also his job was to talk the leg off a chair and scare away any females that turned up! he did fine in all areas, except one lady was brave enough to stay, only to run for her car when Skew arrived! some of these turners are built ugly!:rolleyes:, kind but U--Y!:D
A tall fellow from Emerald Qld, took us for our word, he thought it was down hill all the way, nice to meet up with Vern, his job is Turning wood into Toothpicks. he failed with some of the wood and brought it to us in the form of Pen Blanks-----whoosh, Skew's hand reached out smartly, but was knocked over in the rush for Gooramurra, thanks Vern, and Thumbsucker, if you are not going to turn a pen you had better send that blank you took to me.
Talk about eager, while all and sundry were talking wood, Helmut was constantly busy preparing for his big show, he was no.1 student of the day, a mullett in the making, and not just any old mullett, it had to be to his liking, very particular, he will produce good items in the future, he knows what he wants and is not preturbed by old gruffy teachers like , very humurous indeed to see teach him; Helmut wore earmuffs and couldn't hear instructions like "switch Off!" or "move the Skew this way!".
Meanwhile a group of lads were down the back of the shed looking at a demonstration of a Fesstool, pricy but worth it!. Another group were discussing the vissitudes of life and two "professinal" chefs went to the BBQ to cook. Now the cooks took a liking to the two dogs, and some sausages and hamburgers went over the edge "accidentally", not that any body would know, the dogs demolished any fall off and even licked the veranda boards clean:rolleyes:. Now the cooks were evenly balanced, Sean burnt the sausages on the left side of the barbie while yours truly burnt the hamburgers on the right side, but one thing was done perfectly together-the steaks were well done:oo::oo:and both too blame.
Mr. and Mrs. Big Shed were there, Fred and wife(because I have forgotten her name):-,
Then again, by the time I went around twice asking the same questions, I started getting sympathetic looks.
The Pavlova was great, half was eaten, the other half DJ whisked away to his fridge to "rescue" it from the flies!!:) and from any Rodent that was nearby. that made Grumpy John Grumpier, and what's the name of that other tall fella, it will come back to me I hope. Allan of Wallan may not have been there, but the story of his "trip", triggered a whole lot of talk about 's "trip" in the Northern Territory. Then, late in the afternoon, a few of us tried our hand at the Skew, as my knuckles turned white, I heard a voice say "Relax", yeah , sure mate, but I don't want a skew for afternoon tea!. :) Thoroughly enjoyed myself, forgive fellas if I have not mentioned you (Scooter came late), I try and post pictures and you can say, "hey , that is me!" and then add your name. Amos
photos 1. TTIT 2. David ( CALM) 3. DJ 4. and Grumpy John 5. Sean and Bruce (Kiwibrucee)

PenTurner
16th December 2007, 05:59 PM
Here are a few more, Amos
Left to right,1. Skew. 2. Rodent, 3.WoodenInk 4. Helmut(Thumbsucker)and Greg. 5.Greg (Groogy)
6. demonstrating 7. and student 8. Egg Cup and Egg made in 5 mins by

DJ’s Timber
16th December 2007, 07:07 PM
A good day was had by all, Thumbsucker got a nice mallet with giving some very good advice on what to do and what not to do with a skew chisel. Might have been a few brown pants moments from some of the spectators when showed not what to do :o, a few jumped I noticed :doh:.

Everyone got a good feed and there was plenty to go around and I don't think I will need to buy any more food this week :roll: :U.

Some caught up with some of the regulars and some also met some new faces as well. Hints and tips were passed around, with a bit off chinwagging going on as well.

Thumbsucker and Groggy also ground one of the blades from the Plane blade order as well and we have worked out which is the best way to do it as well.

RETIRED
16th December 2007, 07:23 PM
Great day. Amos I have added the names for you.

DJ’s Timber
16th December 2007, 07:36 PM
Would also like to thank Neil from Ubeaut (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/) for his kind donation of products from which everyone got to take something home and for Tim from Bowerbird Timber (http://www.bowerbirdtimber.com/) for his kind donation of Constantia oil, which quite a few got to take home as well.

Calm
16th December 2007, 08:30 PM
Thank you's come first so hear goes.

Dj as host for a very enjoyable day - and the great barbeque food and drinks supplied. - to the dogs for the chance to give thema good pat.

Neil for the great gifts - i scored a jar of shellawax that i didnt have any of

Tim - Bowerbird timber - for the great polish. - the mill on the way home wouldnt be yours would it? Good sample of timbers in there for a keen turner.

From Ballarat to DJ's is 206.7 km and about 2.5 hours.

To everyone a Merry Christmas as i probably wont see any of the group again in the next 9 days.

It was good to meet Vern and others i hadnt met before. So thanks again to the cooks and food providers and everyone for the enjoyable day that it was.

Big Shed
16th December 2007, 09:13 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed myself at the turnfest today.

Some thank yous are in order:

DJ, for a great day, fixing up my Nova insert that was a little too long and knocking up a 150mm tool rest for my MC900 while I was there. Also a big thank you for all the work and organisation on the Compac chcuks from the US, I picked up my 2 1"x8tpi today.

Ubeaut, for providing some freebies to heighten the festive spirit, look forward to trying out the Shellawax and the water based wood dyes.

Tim (Bowerbird), for providing some Constantia Furniture Polishes goodies, I scored some China Wood Oil and look forward to trying that out.

Amos (Woodenink) for giving me a beautiful Churchill fountain pen and particularly a big thank you from Johanna (SWMBO) for her very spiff pink slimline pen, she is rapped!:2tsup:

, for giving me some one on one tuition on the skew chisel, I will put this in practise tomorrow (like the prize fighter analogy! ) won't forget that in a hurry.

It was good to put faces to quite a number of forumites and to talk about woodworking in general and turning in particular with so many woodies.

Interesting to observe an exercise in patience by Thumbsucker (grinding a bevel on a hunk of steel:o)

Thumbsucker also turned a "general purpose" mallet for himself ably guided by , I would swear that I saw 's hands move more than TSs!:D

It was certainly worth the long drive from Bendigo (250km plus one unscheduled "detour").

Johanna and I wish you all a very merry Christmas.

Groggy
16th December 2007, 09:27 PM
DJ, thanks for a great day mate :2tsup: . I think you have the best venue for these events and especially the 'clean' sheds :p you went to so much trouble to achieve. Concrete floors huh? Who woulda thunk it! :D

Always great to meet up with the guys and meet new faces. A special effort from Vern and I was lucky enough to chat to him for a bit.

My thanks also to Ubeaut and Tim for the generous donations, these always add a bit of interest and something new to try. And , as usual, for helping the rest of us learn more about turning, thanks mate.

TS, we've got to find a simpler way to grind those blades. A travelling rest of some kind is needed I think. I know a guy in the states who had a diamond platter made for a Makita wetstone grinder. That would have been perfect I think.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th December 2007, 09:49 PM
I'll throw in my thanks to DJ, Neil and Tim... and also to all the donors of wood. Which is basically a thank you to almost everyone there 'cept me! :roll: (Someone had to settle for being the donee, after all.) 'Twas a good day. :U

Vern brought down some verrrry interesting pieces of wood, (mainly in pen blank sizes, so penophobes beware! :q) The Gooramurra (Dogwood, I think?) still has me drooling. Lovely colours! The pic is as is, ie. no photoshopping. Amazing stuff...

scooter
16th December 2007, 09:57 PM
Twas a good day indeed. :)

Big thanks to DJ for being the graceful host, good to see some familiar faces & meet Helmut, Amos, Vern, Tim, and Fred & Johanna.

Thanks to Neil (ubeaut) for donating the finishing gear, to Tim as mentioned above, to David & Greg (I think) for the timber donations, and to Grumpy John for the lift.

Looking forward to getting back on the lathe, these days inspire me every time. :)

Cheers....................Sean

TTIT
16th December 2007, 10:57 PM
Bloody beaut day for sure :U. Fantastic to get to chat to everyone (not that I talk a lot!!) and put faces to names - beats the hell out of typing to an avatar :o. Thanks to DJ for the venue (which has way to many standing trees in the yard) and the work he put into organizing things. And thanks to Neil for the donated goodies - much appreciated. Can't forget the chef's either and also to my navigator, Helmut, cos' I'd have had enough trouble just finding my way out of Melbourne let alone finding DJ's hideaway without him :;. Hope I can make it to another one someday - well worth the effort :2tsup:

PenTurner
17th December 2007, 10:11 AM
Yes, a big thank you to DJ for opening up his place to us, and to the those who provided us with gifts, I think someone is trying to hint at my finishing, a jar of EEE, a jar of Special finishing Oil, videos on how to finish!!! Thanks for filling in the names I forgot.! it is a day later and i wish i were back there.:) Amos

OGYT
17th December 2007, 11:03 AM
My thanks to all, also... for posting all this for us to read that couldn't make the trip. This has truly been an enjoyable thread!

Kiwibrucee
17th December 2007, 06:32 PM
Hi, Just to add my voice to the corus of thanks , unfortunately I only have internet connection at work at the moment so its a bit late.
Thanks to DJ for providing the venue , to Neil and Tim for the freebies:2tsup::2tsup: and to all those that turned up with food and/or wood and made it an enjoyable day.:D

Thanks

Bruce T.

dai sensei
17th December 2007, 07:32 PM
Damm work:~, I would have loved to be there, sounds like everyone had a good time :2tsup:. Maybe next year,assuming there is another :rolleyes:

Grumpy John
17th December 2007, 08:13 PM
Let me also offer my sincere thanks to DJ for opening his property for this event. Thank you also to Groggy and Calm for the timber, DJ for the replacement redgum for the one that cracked and Neil for the EEE. was, as usual very informitave and entertaining. He is definately one of the best instructors I have ever seen. Thank you Scooter for helping to keep me awake on the drive home as I had had a very heavy night previously.

Merry Xmas to one and all
GJ

rsser
18th December 2007, 10:28 AM
Sounds like a great day. Sorry I couldn't make it ... (I hope at least I now have some brownie points for submitting to Xmas obligations).

Give us a call Vern if you're still good for Thursday night. I can pick you up.

rodent
18th December 2007, 09:02 PM
As usual I'm late getting to this thread , sorry about that . But all I can do is add my thanks to Dj for hosting this great day Neil and Tim for some wonderful products to try and every one else who donated wood . All I donated was a super sized chocolate ripple cake .And yes i had a top day ,oh by the way Big shed what's the recipe for the bread you brought along .We just got a bread making mashie we would like to have a go at making some .