PDA

View Full Version : English Ash Grinders and Chopping board

DJ’s Timber
18th December 2007, 12:30 AM
I got my brothers g/friend for kris kringle pressies this year and was told by her that she didn't want me to buy anything, she would rather get something made for her, so I decided to do a S & P grinder set and a chopping board for her.

Did one half of the grinder set this evening, timber turns well and has a little spalting and some nice streaks through it. Stands at 325mm high and 70mm dia. Have finished this with the Organoil Danish Oil, first time I have used it, still need to put another coat on it and then will buff it later in the week once the oil has had a chance to harden off a bit.

Jim Carroll
18th December 2007, 07:45 AM
Nice work.

I have seen that design somewhere.:rolleyes:

I am sure she will appreciate the gifts, there is something about recieving a gift that has been made instead of bought.

BernieP
18th December 2007, 04:47 PM
G'Day DJ

Very nice like the design as it looks like it would mould into your hand and give you an ease of use.

Cheers
Bernie

killerbeast
18th December 2007, 05:21 PM
Nice work.

I am sure she will appreciate the gifts, there is something about recieving a gift that has been made instead of bought.

Yep exactly this year i have told my family that they only get turned or otherwise home made stuff, and that we only want homemade stuff in return. not that all of them can make things with their hands, but then i could be an experience with cooking a new table cloth sewn for our very large table a painting pictures or burls hehe... i think they have gone throug with it all of them and i cant wait to give away round stuff...

And very nice grinders where do you buy the grinding set ??

Calm
18th December 2007, 05:44 PM
Dj

Did someone say something about these S&P grinders at the weekend. I went out to the shed last night and looking at the wood i brought back from your place thought "what can i make" so i grabed a bit and stuck it in the lathe to make of all things the same as you S&P grinders for my sister in a kris kringle.

I must be physco or something. (dont ask the kids they would probably agree)

I wont post any pics i'm not up to your standard.

Jim the style looks very similar to the instruction sheet you gave me with the workings when i bought them.

killerbeast - Jim Carroll is the man for the bits

DJ’s Timber
18th December 2007, 06:03 PM

Yeah I wonder where :roll:

And very nice grinders where do you buy the grinding set ??

From the man above, Jim from CWS (http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144815&product_id=1107383875)

Dj
I wont post any pics i'm not up to your standard.

Come on Dave, don't be shy :B

Jim the style looks very similar to the instruction sheet you gave me with the workings when i bought them.

Yes you're right, the form is one of the best out there I reckon, easy to hold, use and suits most table settings :2tsup:

killerbeast
18th December 2007, 06:14 PM
but where is the chopping board ??

DJ’s Timber
18th December 2007, 06:18 PM
but where is the chopping board ??

Still to come as is the other mate for the grinder, the one above is for the salt. Will start the pepper grinder when I get home later tonight and the chopping board tomorrow.

killerbeast
18th December 2007, 06:44 PM
ok :-) what type of insert is it you use for the grinder ?

DJ’s Timber
18th December 2007, 08:03 PM
ok :-) what type of insert is it you use for the grinder ?

The link CWS in post 6 above will take you straight to the mechanism that I use, which is the Crushgrind 260 Ceramic Mill.

DJ’s Timber
24th December 2007, 12:03 PM
Just finished sanding and putting a coat of Paraffin oil on the chopping board :2tsup:

Quite happy with the way it has came up :U. It's made from Redgum and Yellowbox and can say it's quite heavy, a wee bit over 5kg :o. Decided to leave it all square with no handles rebated into it so that it can be used on both sides and it looks better left that way IMHO.

Finished size is approximately 460mm x 320mm x 40mm with the squares about 38mm x 39mm average

Calm
24th December 2007, 12:30 PM
Very Nice Dj :2tsup::2tsup:

rsser
24th December 2007, 12:36 PM
Looks good DJ.

Must've tested your joinery skills.

wheelinround
24th December 2007, 03:28 PM
Nice gifts DJ like them all:2tsup:

joe greiner
24th December 2007, 10:33 PM
Decided to leave it all square with no handles rebated into it so that it can be used on both sides and it looks better left that way IMHO.

Probably too late, unless temporarily loaned back for modifications, but "handles" could be made with a 19mm core box router bit centred on the short edges, less than full width. Still usable on both sides, and not entirely ugly IMHO.

Joe