PDA

View Full Version : Look out chisels.

munruben
20th December 2007, 07:59 PM
Did a quick trip into Carba-Tec today and bought this. Also bought the camber roller assembly too. I am going to practice sharpening some chisels and a plane iron over the Christmas hols.:) Gonna try W & D see how I go. Have read most stuff in the forums about sharpening, Time to stop talking and start walking. Well I am going to try anyway.:D

hutch
20th December 2007, 08:26 PM
bought one about a month ago john also use wd very pleased with result :2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
20th December 2007, 08:55 PM
:o very nice can I send my stuff up to have pro sharpened :D

Woodlee
20th December 2007, 10:08 PM
Did a quick trip into Carba-Tec today and bought this. Also bought the camber roller assembly too. I am going to practice sharpening some chisels and a plane iron over the Christmas hols.:) Gonna try W & D see how I go. Have read most stuff in the forums about sharpening, Time to stop talking and start walking. Well I am going to try anyway.:D

Good choice John ,they are the ducks nuts of sharpening jigs .
I'm very happy with mine .

munruben
20th December 2007, 10:33 PM
:o very nice can I send my stuff up to have pro sharpened :DI don't think you would be game enough Ray:)

Pops
20th December 2007, 11:11 PM
Hi John,

Nice purchase, like Hutch and Woodlee said.

We will be expecting 'before and after shots' of your chisels you know.:) Just so we know you have been busy in the shed over Christams of course. :)

Cueers
Pops

kman-oz
21st December 2007, 08:26 AM
Oh, you won't regret it! This really should be standard kit for any woodworker, it's that good.

On a side note, I've done a fair bit of work with mine and I've found that the roller really must be maintained. If you don't clean and oil it, it will wear out! When I purchased mine it only came with half of the instructions sheet and I didn't realise it required maintenance until the roller started vibrating during sharpening. D'oh! When I took it back to Carbatec to have it looked at the first thing they asked was; "Have you been maintaining the roller?", to which my response was a long blank stare....

Maybe the Mk.III should have sealed ball bearing races? At the least I should come apart easily so you can replace worn parts I think.

munruben
21st December 2007, 08:42 AM
Hi John,

Nice purchase, like Hutch and Woodlee said.

We will be expecting 'before and after shots' of your chisels you know.:) Just so we know you have been busy in the shed over Christams of course. :)Cueers
PopsI'll do my best Pops:)

I didn't realise it required maintenance until the roller started vibrating during sharpening. D'oh! When I took it back to Carbatec to have it looked at the first thing they asked was; "Have you been maintaining the roller?", Thanks for the tip kman I did see that mentioned in the instructions but now you have brought it up, I will make sure I look after it with a bit of oil and cleaning.

kman-oz
21st December 2007, 08:59 AM
Because the roller can be exposed to water and abrasive particles I decided that WD-40 was good for cleaning (good water dispersant) and light machine oil (3 in 1 oil works well) as lubricant. After oiling, run it over your bench quickly for about a minute to force out any excess oil, you don't want this on your water stones if you use them.

You learn more from your mistakes than from your successes!

munruben
21st December 2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks Kman, I will do that. Better to keep it well looked after from the beginning rather than trying to fix things after they are stuffed up. I have been there done that.:)

neilb
21st December 2007, 09:43 AM
G'day John. When you decide you're gonna give those chisels a new edge , ( I've seen them ,and they will all think it really is christmas ) can I come over and be witness to this historic session ? Sorry I haven't rang ,but SHMBO has had me doing everything and anything except being in the shed since we came home. :~
Neil.

munruben
24th December 2007, 04:05 PM
G'day John. When you decide you're gonna give those chisels a new edge , ( I've seen them ,and they will all think it really is christmas ) can I come over and be witness to this historic session ? Sorry I haven't rang ,but SHMBO has had me doing everything and anything except being in the shed since we came home. :~
Neil.Hi Neil, sorry didn't answer before now I just noticed your post. Sure might be an idea to come over and show me how its done. I am practicing with my Veritas but still got a long way to go.
Hope to catch up with you soon.