PDA

View Full Version : Salt & pepper Shakers.

STAR
20th December 2007, 09:27 PM
First time posting in the wood turning section, only in the woodwork section.

My daughter who has lived in the states for about ten years is now back in OZ. She is a great cook and one of the things she has been looking for is a large salt & pepper shaker.

Unfortunately, the only ones we can find a the small ones with the glass mills or the large ones which are fully wood.

What she is looking for is the ones which comprise the two. The large size, of good quality wood plus the glass see through mill. Is this a possibility or is it too much to hope for.

dai sensei
21st December 2007, 10:25 AM
How big are your after? The largest wood and glass ones I've seen are only 200mm or so. I haven't seen any hand made glass/timber ones here, but perhaps someone makes them. Out of timber only, the sky is the limit, here's a big one I was making for someone else on the forum, but I never got round to finishing it as the couple broke up.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=18785

STAR
21st December 2007, 01:38 PM
Neil,

It is a small world. I live in Mudgeeraba,, just five minutes down the road.

You are right, I have not seen a glass and wood grinder in Australia. I have seen them in the States a few years back , but only in restaurants.

I will ask my daughter what size, but I have to be careful as I would like to give it to her as a surprise for her birthday.

ps. I will send you a personal message with my phone number.

Like to meet up with you, especially if we could get the Meet & Greet Bar B Que on the Gold Coast going with fellow forum users and others interested in wood.

It would be great to network and exchange ideas.

DJ’s Timber
21st December 2007, 01:46 PM
Do you have a link or a picture of one of these Glass and Wood Grinders, can't say that I have ever seen one combining the 2 materials, seen plenty in their individual components.

STAR
21st December 2007, 01:51 PM
DJ.

I will follow through with the information you requested and see if I can get a photo for you.
My daughter has a lot of friends in the States, and one of her best friends is staying with us in January, so i will get her to bring over a photograph .

Camera phones are great, you see something you like and take a discreet photo and it is around the world before you can say sorry.

Simomatra
21st December 2007, 03:07 PM
That will take some beating Neil!!

Welcome here Star

killerbeast
21st December 2007, 06:24 PM
how about using parts from one with glass and then just extending the part above with the wooden section.. something with cutting a nice deep grove into the top and gluing the glas section in with something like epoxy......

just a thought...62946

BernieP
21st December 2007, 07:04 PM
G'Day Star

Welcome aboard, interested to see pic when you get it. is it anything like the attached?

Cheers
Bernie

STAR
21st December 2007, 10:24 PM
Bernie.

It has a similar glass or plastic but it also is about 300 or so mm.

My daughter and I have been looking for one for about eight years. I have given up in the shops and have always thought that somebody with turning skills could make one.

I know they would not be cheap, with quality wood and ceramic mechanism, I do not have the skill to justify the quality raw materials that I would want used,so that is why I have posted here.

dai sensei
21st December 2007, 10:30 PM
There used to be a glass cutting set-up you could buy for cutting the tops off bottles to make glasses back in the 70's. The bottle would rotate on a set of wheels similar to a center steady and the cutter held on the side giving perfect round cuts, sand the edge with good sand paper and you are done. A few shattering problems from novices and it was taken off the market.

Haven't seen one for years, but using that principle, you could cut both ends off and end up with a glass cylinder. From there you could turn the timber to suit the glass in a similar manner to the sketch shown by Killerbeast. You would have to allow for the timber movement though, so I'm thinking silicon rather then epoxy.

Got your PM STAR, I'll give you a call on the weekend.

STAR
21st December 2007, 10:38 PM
Killer beast.

That is what or similar I was hoping for, I will have to get a photo.

Harry72
22nd December 2007, 02:21 AM
Glass bottles or jars can be cut, I remember my father doing it years ago, soak some string/shoe lace etc etc in a flammable liquid tie it around where you want it cut then light it up and let it heat for a few seconds... drop it in some water. http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Glass-Bottle

How To Cut A Glass Bottle... Video

Woodlee
22nd December 2007, 11:16 AM
There used to be a glass cutting set-up you could buy for cutting the tops off bottles to make glasses back in the 70's. The bottle would rotate on a set of wheels similar to a center steady and the cutter held on the side giving perfect round cuts, sand the edge with good sand paper and you are done. A few shattering problems from novices and it was taken off the market.

Haven't seen one for years, but using that principle, you could cut both ends off and end up with a glass cylinder. From there you could turn the timber to suit the glass in a similar manner to the sketch shown by Killerbeast. You would have to allow for the timber movement though, so I'm thinking silicon rather then epoxy.

Got your PM STAR, I'll give you a call on the weekend.

Acrylic tube can be purchased from a good plastics supplier like Cadillac Plastics.In fact I think they will draw acrylic tube to your requirements.Maybe they would have some off cuts .

Kev.

Harry72
22nd December 2007, 11:45 AM
IMHO Acrylic scratches to easily, especially considering how much time and effort we take creating our hand crafted wares!
Going for the glass would separate us from the $2 shop bargins, even though the recycled glass cost's less then buying in the plastic:)

robyn2839
23rd December 2007, 08:33 AM
there are some for sale on e-bay, the brand is nando,s which apparently all the restaurants use you could take the top off, and turn a new one from timber.like most it is made of hardened acrylic, but it must be hard.bob

robyn2839
23rd December 2007, 08:39 AM
these are the ones i saw on ebay.bob

dai sensei
23rd December 2007, 07:12 PM
I was out at the Cararra markets today and the "Kitchen Discounts" stall had 250mm timber base and top with a curved glass center matched pair of mills for only $19. Quite nice really, the timber was light coloured, I certainly couldn't match the price.