PDA

View Full Version : Metric Jig, Imperial Bits?

M-R
25th December 2007, 02:54 PM
Hi Folks,

If this has been asked before my apologies...

My wife gave me a xmas present of the CMT incra router bit set. Of course these are in imperial, and I have a metric Original Incra Jig which I only recently bought.

Is there any way I can make these play nicely? Thinking about it I can only imagine on a 1/2" (12.7mm) dovetail bit there would be .2mm difference between the bit and the 0.5mm sawtooth racks in the incra jig.

Would I be best off just trying to find a replacement set of sawtooth racks in imperial measurements? Any idea where to find them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pusser
25th December 2007, 10:15 PM
The imperial ones should not be hard to fine. I bought the incra mitre guage. Ordered in metric, came with imperial and the conversion kit. I presume others have the same experience so you shoul be able to get an imperial set. Not sure if the ones on the mitre guage are the same as on the jig though. I suspect they are supplied in imperial anyway and changed by the stockists as required. My supplier just sent me the changover kit so I have both.

If they are the same I might be able to find mine and you can have them as it makes no difference on the mitre guage.

Gwhat
27th December 2007, 06:11 PM
Hi Folks,

My wife gave me a xmas present of the CMT incra router bit set. Of course these are in imperial, and I have a metric Original Incra Jig which I only recently bought.

Is there any way I can make these play nicely? Thinking about it I can only imagine on a 1/2" (12.7mm) dovetail bit there would be .2mm difference between the bit and the 0.5mm sawtooth racks in the incra jig.

Would I be best off just trying to find a replacement set of sawtooth racks in imperial measurements? Any idea where to find them?

it's a common problem it's only the 3/8" (10mm) that are close to compatible. The racks are $3 each + however you want to acquire the imperial templates.

Regards

The Woodworker

Stuart
30th December 2007, 08:16 PM
As much as I know that there are metric racks available through Gwhat, my opinion is if you use Incra, stick with working in imperial.

The vast majority of templates are imperial, pretty much all router bits are imperial (certainly dovetail bits, and they need to match the templates)

Changing the racks over is a small price compared to the range of templates that open up (and for those who are lucky to have a set of dovetail bits for the Incra, it is the only way to actually get to use them.)

Oh, and now you have a set of Incra dovetail bits, you'll definitely want the full template book (and/or the Incra project book) They do work with the Original Incra Jig, despite being a lot longer than needed!