PDA

View Full Version : Recent turnings(dial up warning)

Harry72
26th December 2007, 04:04 AM
Some of my recent work on the rounding machine(DVRXP) I've only been turning for a few months so please "crits are welcome", just for fun I added some close up's of the grain.

Please excuse the photo's as they are shot under fluro lights, the ones with the richer colour have been taken with the camera in full auto using the flash, all others are timed exposures. All close ups are timed exposure as my camera's flash dont work up that close...

A xmas gift for the MIL, a lazy susan in jarrah about 500mm/19.5" in dia. Check the colour difference with the background... its the same wood!
Its my 1st go at outboard turning.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/lazysusan.jpg

A small pot thingy, H205mm/8" x D150mm/6", dont know what the wood is looks like pine but its heavy plus its super hard and brittle... it was making mince meat of my woodcut gouges. I managed to get the walls down too 2mm/.07"thick but it cracked in 2 places, you can see them in the photo's.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/pot.jpg

A bowl, H65mm/2.5" x D230mm/9", wood is Broughton willow(acacia salicina), I'd call this my 1st successful bowl
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/bowlbw.jpg

This is the goblet I made after having no luck with the blank in the recent competition here... just to see if I could do it, once again its broughton willow, it is from a different tree to the bowl. H85mm/3.3"x D45mm/1.7"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/goblet1.jpg

A jar(lollies!)made from a fence post, wood unknown, H150mm/6"x D100mm/4".
The 2nd go at a goblet, totally different style this time, its the same wood as the pot thingy been attacked with some Ubeauts water dyes dark green(for patina)then with a mix of yellow and red and cedar. I didnt finish it to the same standard as my other turnings as you can see in the close up!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/goblet2jar.jpg

Finally a group shot!
All are finished with Ubeaut products, sanded to 1500, EEE'd, shellawaxed then trad wax.(except goblet#2)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/groupshot.jpg

Calm
26th December 2007, 09:22 AM
A group of very good turnings. :2tsup::2tsup:

i would be proud to do as well as them. :2tsup::2tsup:

Merry christmas and a Happy new year Harry72

I will let the experts be the critics, but for me they are a good range of different lathe work to test you out. Well done..

Hardenfast
26th December 2007, 09:28 AM
Nice diverse lot of items Harry. Good range of timbers and techniques there. I like the big Jarrah lazy susan. How did you chuck that on each side? Also, what's the little plaque on the bottom?

Good work to get the walls down to 2mm on the pot thingy - shame about the cracks. If it was super hard it probably wasn't pine - looks a little like Yellow Box?

My favourite is the Willow bowl. Very nice grain and excellent form/shape. Nice crisp lines on the base and rim. Again, how did you chuck this? I know I've read plenty of posts on the subject, but I'm still a little fuzzy on the different chucking disciplines.

Wayne

Caveman
26th December 2007, 04:44 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Fine looking turnings there Harry.

Enjoyed the photo format too - really nice layout.

Thank's for sharing.

Crom
26th December 2007, 05:07 PM
Wow! Nice turning. Just started?? Your a natural. I have been turning (the lathe on :) ) since October and so far I have a lot of splinters, sawdust and a hell itchy throat.

Those goblets - are they safe to use? Very nice either way, and inspiring me to get out of the aircon (its 43ºC atm) and into the shed (probably about 73ºC)...

Stu in Tokyo
26th December 2007, 08:32 PM
Harry, they look good, the goblet is really nice.

I think you will only improve with more time on the lathe.

how are you liking the DVR XP?

Cheers! :2tsup:

Harry72
27th December 2007, 07:34 AM
I like the big Jarrah lazy susan. How did you chuck that on each side? Also, what's the little plaque on the bottom?
The susan still has the recesses for the chuck in expanding mode on the inside, I left them there so I can repolish it if needed.
The little plaque is my makers mark "Samuels Creek Furniture", it covers the access hole for the screws on the susan bearing(12" bearing).

Willow bowl Again, how did you chuck this?
Just the standard tennon for the main part and finished off the foot (removed the tennon)with a nova cole jaw set.

Those goblets - are they safe to use? Very nice either way, and inspiring me to get out of the aircon (its 43ºC atm) and into the shed (probably about 73ºC)...
No not food safe... just for show!
Do what I did... Aircon the shed, I have a swampy aircon that blows right where I stand at my lathe:) I dont like the heat I get enough of it at work(a metal refinery).

Harry, they look good, the goblet is really nice.

I think you will only improve with more time on the lathe.

how are you liking the DVR XP?
Thanks Stu, I think my work is improving slowly as Im just going by trail and error... no expiranced turners that I know to learn from here and definitely cant get any lessons, havent got the time currently to travel to the big smoke for lessons:(
Yep the DVRXP is good enough for what I need. May need to refine my stand tho, get some more chisels and another chuck for the nova cole's:rolleyes:

orraloon
27th December 2007, 01:57 PM
Harry,
Nice work there. You have got off to a good start with turning. The learn by mistake method is working for you. It may take more time than lessons but what you learn in the process stays in the head for ever. Good pics too.

Regards
John

OGYT
27th December 2007, 03:22 PM
Yessir! What they all said! Good job on these pieces. New turner? Ha! Okay, you've succeeded in making us all jealous! :D
I like the photo layout too. You did well, Harry! :)
Speakin' of useable... to make goblets useable, put on a couple of coats of DO, and let it cure for about a week, or two to be sure... the DO will make the grain pop, and it will polymerize and seal the wood, and then you can use them for anything you want to drink. Just don't let the drink stand in them for hours on end... they'll still stain. You can wash them with hot soapy water, dry them with a towel, and then set out to air dry the rest of the way, and they'll be ready to use again.
If the moisture causes the grain to raise a little (it might happen once, depending on the type of wood), just "sand" em smooth with a teaspoon of salt and a paper towel. The salt will break down and smooth 'em out better than you might think, and purify the wood to boot.
The more you use them, the better they'll look.

Harry72
29th December 2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks John and Al.

So the old danish oil does the trick Al, must try it might have a go at making some up, polyU/BLO/pure turps thats the ingredients isn't it?

OGYT
2nd January 2008, 12:46 PM
Don't know about the ingredients... I just buy it and use it. :U Let us know how it works... and the amounts of each u use... I might give that a try.

rsser
2nd January 2008, 01:26 PM
No. 2 looks like English Ash.

Harry72
2nd January 2008, 07:53 PM
Could be that Ern, I got the log from a workmate he can remember the log pile when he was a little tacker he use to play on it, he is 62yrs old now... so I guess its dry eh!
White ants bypassed it, so it must have some natural chemicals in it... or just to bloody hard, it bluntened the chain saw in two cross grain cuts.
I can get more but its hard to work with.

JDarvall
2nd January 2008, 08:11 PM
They look lovely mate. Especially like the grain and colour of the small pot thingy.

Big Shed
2nd January 2008, 08:19 PM
Nice work Harry, you are obviously a natural!:2tsup:

m2c1Iw
2nd January 2008, 08:52 PM
Harry,
Great results and I agree you must be a natural:2tsup:, keep this up and you'll get me interested in turning:rolleyes:.

Slightly off topic how do you get your pic overlays don't think my program has that feature, really helps in showing the piece .

Cheers Mike

Harry72
2nd January 2008, 10:35 PM
Photoshop... the one and only:)