PDA

View Full Version : Green Burls

worzi
28th December 2007, 02:02 AM
Over the last couple of years I have watched a burl grow in my back yard. Its a maple burl that measures right at 27 inches across at its widest point. I often figured that I would let it continue to grow until either 1) I figured out what to do with it, 2) I moved (take it with me). Though I never figured on option 3) Mother nature knocks the tree down.

So after some pretty severe storms this week, my maple is now lying across my yard. And to my surprise, near the top of the tree, a second smaller burl exist (about 6" x 6").

I will be cutting the tree this evening. I planned on sealing the cut ends. But was wondering if theres anything special I need to do for the burls? I'v never dealt with green burls and only limited experience with preserving / drying green blanks.

OGYT
28th December 2007, 03:18 AM
Burls ain't no good for turnin', Worzi, send 'em to me, and I'll take care of 'em for ya. :D
Truthfully, I know nothing about them except that I'd like to be in your shoes... what a problem! Knowing nothing else, I'd cut them off, and dip them in wax or Anchor Seal, and store them in a cool dry place out of air currents, and pray over them every night 'til they were dry. :)
There'll be some sensible answers for you, I'm sure, on this forum. :U