PDA

View Full Version : shipping method from the U.S.

Evan Pavlidis
28th December 2007, 07:15 PM
Hello fellow woodies,

I am interested in purchasing some goods from the U.S. which are not available anywhere in Australia and was informed by the U.S. retailer that I can select either of the 2 shipping methods;

"Shipping by US Postal Service will be approximately $US16 :) but will not be insured :~ and can take 2-5 weeks to arrive.

UPS will be about $US81.78 :C :C but will be insured and will get to you in about 7 business days."

My question is, is the US Postal Service method reliable or should I go for the more expensive UPS; has anyone had a bad experience using US Postal Service?
The price difference is huge :o and my purchace only costs $US175.89.

Thanks in advance,
Evan

lubbing5cherubs
28th December 2007, 07:27 PM
Evan to be honest I have had more trouble with Australia post than USA. I know I sent a parcel to Gil here. I received his gorgeous wood but from me all he got was the label. (Gil I have not forgot you old mate) Poor bugger. USa at least tried to trace it for him. Australia said nothing they can do and left it that.
hth
Toni

Evan Pavlidis
28th December 2007, 07:39 PM
Evan to be honest I have had more trouble with Australia post than USA. I know I sent a parcel to Gil here. I received his gorgeous wood but from me all he got was the label. (Gil I have not forgot you old mate) Poor bugger. USa at least tried to trace it for him. Australia said nothing they can do and left it that.
hth
Toni

Hello Toni,

which method have you used from the US, US postal service or UPS. What I am most concerned about is purchasing uninsured merchandise, but using the UPS method is far too expensive for what I'm buying. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place which is why I'm enquiring about the reliability of the cheaper US Postal Service method.

Cheers, Evan

DJ’s Timber
28th December 2007, 07:45 PM
I have regularly used USPS for goods in excess of $500 and have never had a problem, also normally arrive within 2 weeks. When the retailer lodges the goods at the Postal Services, they will be given a tracking number, so that you can then keep track of it as well

Evan Pavlidis
28th December 2007, 07:53 PM
I have regularly used USPS for goods in excess of $500 and have never had a problem, also normally arrive within 2 weeks. When the retailer lodges the goods at the Postal Services, they will be given a tracking number, so that you can then keep track of it as well

Thanks DJ, is insurance an option using USPS or you can't have it at all?

Evan

WOODbTURNER
28th December 2007, 07:57 PM
Evan,
I use USPS often when I buy from suppliers like Craft Supplies USA. I find their service quick and reliable and like you said much cheaper. The parcels go through our Australia Post with no trouble at all. I used UPS twice and it took weeks to process. Don't believe that it takes longer by USPS than UPS as most of my stuff gets here in Darwin within 7 days. It usually takes 10 days to get a parcel from Melbourne to Darwin.
Cheers
Jeff

lubbing5cherubs
28th December 2007, 07:59 PM
When I have had wood sent they found a flat box through USPS the cheapest way. I know they talk in a flat box and I fill it up for the cheapest way I do hope that helps you some
Toni

Evan Pavlidis
28th December 2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys,

looks like the cheaper USPS method has won the draw. :2tsup:
UPS, bit of a joke at those prices :no:. Thanks again.

Evan

DJ’s Timber
28th December 2007, 08:14 PM
Evan, if you go to the USPS (http://ircalc.usps.gov/) website, you can use the online calculator to work out your cost and add insurance in after the 2nd or 3rd page. For $200 insurance I think you you'll be looking at about $2 to $5 on top off the normal shipping cost

malb
28th December 2007, 09:29 PM
Evan, You haven't mentioned size and weight, which have a big effect on things.

However, I had a Makita 451 battery hammer drill kit (drill, case, charger, 2x 3AH L/ion bats) come in just before Christmas, abt 18 in x 18 in x 6 in plus outer packaging, 17lb pound package weight USPS Global Priority US$82.00. Fully trackable from the time the supplier prints the docket til it clears AU customs in Sydney. Seven days door to door and sig required.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

Previously bought in the 140 impact driver full kit and 452 drill full kit from Woodcraft 11lb each package via FedEx for US$106. 7 days, fully trackable also.

Evan Pavlidis
28th December 2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys for your assistance. I have one last question; has anyone had any issues with Australian customs or quarantine service when purchasing timber pen blanks from the US be it stabilised or standard?

Malb, my goods will fit in a small package about 6in. x 6in. x 2in.

Thanks again people,
Evan

DJ’s Timber
28th December 2007, 10:29 PM
I've never had anything held back, had a parcel opened once to check the timber. As long as the custom declaration states that it's timber and it's free of bark, pinholes and spalting you shouldn't have any problems.

ss_11000
28th December 2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys for your assistance. I have one last question; has anyone had any issues with Australian customs or quarantine service when purchasing timber pen blanks from the US be it stabilised or standard?

Evan
nothing wrong with the exotic pen blanks i got imported from CSUSA.
and just today i got my radar gun from the states after it was posted on the 20th?? using usps priority mail. $30.50 for a 18 by 9 inch ( approx ) box.

bsrlee
29th December 2007, 01:40 AM
Your shipper is really not with it post-wise - maybe he is an agent for UPS.

For about $10US you can get a flat rate Express envelope that can have a few pounds (a couple of Kilo's) of goods stuffed in it - takes about a week to Australia, has tracking & insurance included in the price. I have had quite a few shipments now of sundry goods - books, RTV molds etc. sent without a problem.

I have also encountered some really odd US companies - they refuse to ship express or have the parcel insured at your expense, and/or charge your card immediately and only ship when you sic the Credit card company on them. I've had them charge for Air & then send the goods surface with just an address label stuck to the manufacturer's packaging, then abuse me for complaining about their poor service. Strangely, I no longer deal with anyone who stuffs me around - they get one chance, no more.

There are too many fine & reasonable companies out there to bother with tossers like that. Lee Valley, Highland Hardware, Rockler get my money.

That specially applies to UPS - a pack of gougers from way back.

NeilS
29th December 2007, 12:31 PM
My wife's three siblings moved to the US in the early 70's and they have been sending Xmas and birthday presents via US Post to her and their Mum here every year since ...that's at least 400 parcels over 35 years... and not one has ever gone missing. That's our experience.

Neil

PenTurner
30th December 2007, 08:43 AM
Evan, recently recived a large parcel of wood from the USA, Quarantine had opened it and then passed it on, the outsided desciption said" Hardwood-clean no bark" and it was just that. Amos

Evan Pavlidis
31st December 2007, 04:12 AM
Hello again fellow woodies and thanks again for your very insightful advice. I have been e-mailing a rep from craft supplies USA about this USPS shipping method and insurance and she is so adamant in saying you cannot get insurance with USPS but only with the more expensive UPS shipping method.

It clearly states on the USPS website that insurance is available for any amount and is an option. This mob is starting to pi^% me off totally because it seems to me they, like a previous poster stated are a UPS agent and prefer me to choose the more expensive UPS, although she clearly states I can choose either one. It is absolutely ridiculous to say you cannot insure your goods, through any shipping method.

What I wanted to purchase are the interchangeable pilot shafts of varying diameters for pen blank milling and the cutter/milling heads. I like the fact that they are made of high speed steel. I know Brett from addictive has them advertised but not for the sizes I'm looking for.
At this stage I'm just going to make adapters of varying diameters out of either scrap timber or some acrylic blanks to fit through the standard 7mm pen mill to do my job and maybe one day Brett may stock them.
Not a happy vegimite with them and I wanted to buy some jr emperors at a later stage.

Thats it from me guys; have a good and prosperous 2008 and may all your endeavours turn out well.

Evan

ciscokid
31st December 2007, 07:03 AM
Evan,

Over here, we call UPS "United Parcel Smashers". It is truly amazing what they can do to a box marked "Fragile". I try to use USPS. May take a bit longer, but the goods usually arrive intact.

triden
31st December 2007, 08:05 AM
Evan,try http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/faq.php they should have what you want:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
31st December 2007, 12:23 PM
I have been e-mailing a rep from craft supplies USA about this USPS shipping method and insurance and she is so adamant in saying you cannot get insurance with USPS but only with the more expensive UPS shipping method.

It clearly states on the USPS website that insurance is available for any amount and is an option.

I would suggest that you send them an email stating that USPS do offer insurance and will cost this much with a link in your email to the appropriate site on USPS showing the insurance rates. If after that she still refuses to listen, I would then demand to talk with her manager or take your business elsewhere.

Evan Pavlidis
31st December 2007, 03:15 PM
DJ and others,

I've just sent an e-mail to the craft supplies rep with a link to the USPS website page indicating shipping rates and insurance in clear table format;

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ab_012.htm#ep1572941

If this doesn't make them think twice I don't know what will. I'll you in the loop to see how things eventuate if I receive a response from them.

Cheers,
Evan

Eli
31st December 2007, 03:21 PM
My wife's three siblings moved to the US in the early 70's and they have been sending Xmas and birthday presents via US Post to her and their Mum here every year since ...that's at least 400 parcels over 35 years... and not one has ever gone missing. That's our experience.

Neil

We've been getting at least one a week from my Mom in Boston for the last six months and they get here pretty quick, and in good shape. The funny thing is UPS is actually quite good incountry (US). But I wouldn't use them here, the couriers they contract are not as good as the couriers AUS Post hires:U

DJ’s Timber
31st December 2007, 03:52 PM
Been doing a bit of investigating here Evan and need to you to confirm if the company you're talking to is Craft Supplies USA, because if it is. This is stated on the bottom of their Shipping Information (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/util/shipping?Args=) page, I have place the text in bold that is specific to this case.

Insurance is added to all orders over $100.00 in value. Cost of insurance is $.50 per each additional $100.00 and will be added to the invoice amount. USPS/UPS does not cover any packages over $100.00 without insurance; therefore, this charge covers any and all damages incurred during shipping.

schaf
31st December 2007, 04:34 PM
Evan,

I signed up with a company called vpost asia.
www,vpostasia.com/australia
This company assigns you a US postal address and then they redirect your parcel to your Australian address. Insurance is available.
I have used them once so far and found them very good and two weeks delivery. Will use them again.They are good for use with companies who do not ship outside of US.

Regards
Terry

Evan Pavlidis
31st December 2007, 07:55 PM
Been doing a bit of investigating here Evan and need to you to confirm if the company you're talking to is Craft Supplies USA, because if it is. This is stated on the bottom of their Shipping Information (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/util/shipping?Args=) page, I have place the text in bold that is specific to this case.

DJ, I have been talking to craft supplies USA. Below is an excerpt of my correspondence;

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Customer Service"
> <[email protected]>
>
> Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:25 AM
> Subject: Re: Your inquiry, interchangeable pilot shatfs
>
>
>> Evan,
>>
>> Unfortunately international packages mailed through USPS are not
>> able to be insured. They are only insured if UPS is chosen as the
>> shipping method. I am sorry about that. Also, if you do wish to
>> place your order online please email me also and let me know how
>> you would like it shipped. We do verify shipping methods for
>> international packages and that way there will be no delay in
>> getting it out to you.
>>
>> Thanks

>> Customer Service
>> Craft Supplies USA
>> 1-800-551-8876
>>
>> On Dec 28, 2007, at 1:50 AM, Evan Pavlidis wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> before I place my order, is it possible to insure my articles
>>> using the (USPS) US Postal Service method?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Evan

>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Customer Service"
>>> <[email protected]>

>>> Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 3:34 AM
>>> Subject: Your inquiry
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hello
>>>>
>>>> Thank you for your interest in placing an order with us. I do
>>>> have some estimates for those items for you. All the pilot
>>>> shafts and heads together come to $175.89. Shipping by US
>>>> Postal Service will be approximately $16 but will not be
>>>> insured and can take 2-5 weeks to arrive. UPS will be about
>>>> $81.78 but will be insured and will get to you in about 7
>>>> business days. If you would like to place your order please let
>>>> me know your name, full address, method of payment, and
>>>> preferred shipping method and we will be able to take care of
>>>> it for you. Alternately you can place the order online, email
>>>> me with your order number and shipping method, and we will be
>>>> able to take care of that for you. Let me know if there's
>>>> anything else I can do for you
>>>>
>>>> Thanks

>>>> Customer Service
>>>> Craft Supplies USA
>>>> 1-800-551-8876

DJ’s Timber
31st December 2007, 08:05 PM
Well hopefully the link you provided for the USPS will snap them out of their ignorance.

Some people just won't look or try to find out the extra bit for you, cause its just too hard.

Evan Pavlidis
31st December 2007, 08:53 PM
Well hopefully the link you provided for the USPS will snap them out of their ignorance.

Some people just won't look or try to find out the extra bit for you, cause its just too hard.

Maybe DJ, I'll wait for their response to all this but I have a feeling I won't receive one.

Schaf, good site and very good idea with vpostasia in setting up a US address and then forwarding to the designated Australian address. I looked it up but at this stage I am unable to register because a mobile number is compulsory on the rego form and I'm not a mobile phone user. The rego will not proceed; I sent them an e-mail how to get around this. Can you also buy from any US retailer or only ones nominated by vpost?

Thanks guys, :)
Evan

ss_11000
31st December 2007, 10:13 PM
evan, i think if you provide the right links you will get the insurance.

when i dealt with them, i got a quote of $10 shipping. the quote was wrong but still they quoted me and after several emails, i got the shipping for $10 and saved $81. keep pushing, you will win.

cheers

joe greiner
1st January 2008, 01:44 AM
Sounds like a "fine-print" problem. Perhaps USPS insurance is provided only to the US airport or boat dock, then absent. As an international carrier, UPS could provide for the entire trip. I've had most pleasant dealings with CSUSA, and wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. (See above). DJ, what was your experience, insurance-wise, with the chucks from Gil? (Bloody compu-duh-r isn't cooperating on message formats. MUST stop procrastinating on the upgrade.) Joe

Evan Pavlidis
1st January 2008, 02:44 AM
Sounds like a "fine-print" problem. Perhaps USPS insurance is provided only to the US airport or boat dock, then absent. As an international carrier, UPS could provide for the entire trip. I've had most pleasant dealings with CSUSA, and wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. (See above). DJ, what was your experience, insurance-wise, with the chucks from Gil? (Bloody compu-duh-r isn't cooperating on message formats. MUST stop procrastinating on the upgrade.) Joe

Joe, I've browsed the USPS website and it clearly states that insurance is available for international shipping to Australia. The web page below is evidence;

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ab_012.htm#ep1572941

schaf
1st January 2008, 07:11 AM
Evan,

With vpost asia you can purchase from which ever retailer you choose.

Terry

ravlord13
1st January 2008, 07:52 AM
I ave just purchased 2 longcase movements,pendulums etc from a supplier in the States, and have given up trying to get insurance, One of the suppliers I deal with over there (and have done for some time) told me to save my money.
UPS can only track parcels in the US and once in the air they will not cover thier insurance.
A waste of money as I was told.
I have not lost any YET and touch wood it will stay that way.
Catchya AJ

PenTurner
1st January 2008, 10:13 AM
AJ, you have plenty of wood to touch!:rolleyes: hope all comes through ok. I am patiently waiting for a parcel of pen blanks, well, I am starting to get a little edgy!:rolleyes:, Amos:) Happy New Year.

DJ’s Timber
17th January 2008, 11:29 AM
Evan did you end up anywhere with this? Have they come to their senses or do they still have their heads in the sand.

Reason I ask is because I have been wanting to get some of these extra sizes for my Barrel Trimmers as well.

bobsreturn2003
17th January 2008, 11:46 AM
i import a lot of things from the states as locals cant or wont stock things . and i can get them delivered to town ,rather than chasing around after them, to be told it aint in yet etc . found insured post works good ,several parcels , have been returned at no charge . and every thing has a tracking number. they have stopped surface mail from usa, wich took up to a 100days for one thing to surface . but was really cheap . there are flat rate envelopes and boxes , try their website . some charge for handling??/what is this ???,try and get it specified before you place the order . cheers bob

Evan Pavlidis
19th January 2008, 03:26 AM
Evan did you end up anywhere with this? Have they come to their senses or do they still have their heads in the sand.

Reason I ask is because I have been wanting to get some of these extra sizes for my Barrel Trimmers as well.

G'day DJ, the last e-mail sent to me is as follows:

Evan,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. Unfortunately even
though USPS allows it, our business policies prohibit us from
insuring packages through the mail. It is impossible to successfully
complete a claim with them. Through UPS we can track and insure the
package much more easily so that is the only way we will insure
orders over $150. I did speak with the general manager about this
matter and he confirmed that for me. If you have any other questions
about the policy you may email him at
xxxxxxxxxxx or when you are ready to order I can
help you with that. Thanks and let me know if I can do anything else
for you.

Thanks
Customer Service
Craft Supplies USA
1-800-551-8876

So I stand corrected in that insurance for international shipping is available for all shipping methods; their e-mail is a contradiction standing out like a sore thumb. They came to their senses after I sent them an excerpt from the USPS website detailing shipping methods and insurance costs.

In late 2005 I ordered my first baron kits and others from Arizona Sillhouete before they stopped accepting international orders and they used USPS with insurance as an option for any amount and a tracking number was e-mailed to me also and I knew at all times where my parcel was. In fact Bill Baumbeck recommended I should insure for peace of mind; it only cost about $US3 from memory. My parcel arrived in 8 days, no problems.
These guys are an absolute pain; they don't want to get off their backsides and take the parcel to the post office themselves because I presume they have a courier that does the rounds for them and their computerised system is linked to their shipping company of choice, UPS, which is much more expensive. That's why they've been telling me you cannot use USPS with the insurance option. I reckon they're a UPS agent.

No way in the world I'm buying from them unless they change their ways; I am the customer and will never yield to their way. I'll do without until I find another retailer. Beartoothwoods.com use both shipping methods with insurance options and they ask you which shipping method you prefer.
My correspondence with them (CSUSA) has ceased.:U :U :2tsup:

Cheers,
Evan

Toolin Around
19th January 2008, 12:05 PM
G'day DJ, the last e-mail sent to me is as follows:

Evan,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. Unfortunately even
though USPS allows it, our business policies prohibit us from
insuring packages through the mail. It is impossible to successfully
complete a claim with them. Through UPS we can track and insure the
package much more easily so that is the only way we will insure
orders over $150. I did speak with the general manager about this
matter and he confirmed that for me. If you have any other questions
about the policy you may email him at
xxxxxx or when you are ready to order I can
help you with that. Thanks and let me know if I can do anything else
for you.

Thanks
Customer Service
Craft Supplies USA
1-800-551-8876

So I stand corrected in that insurance for international shipping is available for all shipping methods; their e-mail is a contradiction standing out like a sore thumb. They came to their senses after I sent them an excerpt from the USPS website detailing shipping methods and insurance costs.

In late 2005 I ordered my first baron kits and others from Arizona Sillhouete before they stopped accepting international orders and they used USPS with insurance as an option for any amount and a tracking number was e-mailed to me also and I knew at all times where my parcel was. In fact Bill Baumbeck recommended I should insure for peace of mind; it only cost about from memory. My parcel arrived in 8 days, no problems.
These guys are an absolute pain; they don't want to get off their backsides and take the parcel to the post office themselves because I presume they have a courier that does the rounds for them and their computerised system is linked to their shipping company of choice, UPS, which is much more expensive. That's why they've been telling me you cannot use USPS with the insurance option. I reckon they're a UPS agent.

No way in the world I'm buying from them unless they change their ways; I am the customer and will never yield to their way. I'll do without until I find another retailer. Beartoothwoods.com use both shipping methods with insurance options and they ask you which shipping method you prefer.
My correspondence with them (CSUSA) has ceased.:U :U :2tsup:

Cheers,
Evan

By reading your post it sounds like you might understand that they would most likely take a loss if they catered to your demands. Having to use up man power to take the parcel(s) to the USPS depot, purchase the insurance, tracking parcels all over the world instead of letting the shipping company burn up the time doing it... Explain why they should do that.

By the way. Posting his email address to a public forum open to the www from what was a private correspondence - not cool.

Evan Pavlidis
21st January 2008, 03:17 AM
By reading your post it sounds like you might understand that they would most likely take a loss if they catered to your demands. Having to use up man power to take the parcel(s) to the USPS depot, purchase the insurance, tracking parcels all over the world instead of letting the shipping company burn up the time doing it... Explain why they should do that.

By the way. Posting his email address to a public forum open to the www from what was a private correspondence - not cool.

Toolin Around,

By using the USPS shipping method they don't keep track of parcels; the customer is given a tracking number and then enters this in the USPS website tracking facility to see where the parcel is. I'm not making any demands as you say; only asking to insure my parcel in the event of loss or theft at my expense. There are retailers in the US that charge a handling fee for filling out customs forms, packaging and for taking the parcel to the USPS depot. I have used this method and never questioned it. This way they do not take a loss and I do have the right as a custmer to ask for insurance and preferred shipping method. If this cannot be catered for, then I'll go elsewhere. I mean no harm or malice toward CSUSA by pasting my correspondence in a public forum; only informing others of how things eventuated. There is no defamation or defamatory remarks involved.
In my previous correspondence I was informed by CSUSA that insurance was not available for USPS shipping and I ended up directing their staff to the website to see that it is. Their preferred shipping method is with UPS which is much more expensive which obviously I do not prefer.

rsser
22nd January 2008, 03:03 PM
FWIW I've bought a good deal of woodwork and lightweight camping stuff from the US and found rates, times and policies vary a lot. I've never insured btw and never had a loss.

I suspect that some retailers prefer UPS or Fedex because they pick up and a counter jumper doesn't have to trek down to a PO.

Some it seems to me bump up their postage costs to pad their margins.