PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathes

Manuka Jock
29th December 2007, 08:22 PM
Hallo Folks ,
A mate of mine is a professional bone carver , and he is thinking of incorporating small bone / antler /wood turning into his art .
I realise that among the many minis on the market , there are a few quality ones , but which ones .
I would appreciate it , if those of you who have experience with the wheat and chaff makes and models in this field to
give a rundown on them.

I did try to persuade him to get a big Nova XP , as a twin for mine , but to no avail :D , hes' a big bloke who likes doing wee fiddly work :p

cheers all ,
thanks ,

Jock

DavidG
29th December 2007, 08:39 PM
The little all electronic Vicmarc VL100 (http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=514)

Manuka Jock
29th December 2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks David ,
looks like a nice wee number .
cheers ,
Jock

artme
29th December 2007, 11:21 PM
As above. Also consider a Stubby or a small Leady, both are more vesatile than the Vicmarc.

robyn2839
30th December 2007, 10:39 AM
jet 1220 . bob

OGYT
30th December 2007, 03:54 PM
If his money's tight, I suggest a Vicmarc VL 100 Bench Model. It comes without a motor, but with a matching 5 step pulley for him to put on his own motor. It's about 1/2 the cost of the Electronic model. They sell for USD 350, here in the upover.
I wouldn't trade mine for any brand of twice the size.
I put a 1/2hp motor on mine and mounted it for travel, on a 2x10 plank. Speed change takes 10seconds on a slow day, the tailstock and toolrests lock down rock solid and move easy when you need to, the headstock and tailstock matchup is spot on, the fit and finish is as good as any I've seen, and it's blue. I mean, who couldn't like blue??? The beautiful blue sky... the beautiful blue of the sea... the beautiful blue of the knots that Her Majesty puts on my noggin' when she gets a little testy.... :D