PDA

View Full Version : GMC thicknesser

George
28th November 2003, 01:45 PM
Looked at a GMC thicknesser at Bunnings today. Specs (from memory) were 318 mm max planing width, 160 mm max thickness, 2000 W motor, 4 post design, 2 blades, no cutter head lock, all metal construction, 2 year replacement warranty. Price was $359.

Might be worth a look if anyone is in the market.

Cheers

George

wands
5th December 2003, 11:16 PM
George,
Have you a thicknesser already?
Or
Would you like a bunny like me to buy one, then tell you what I think?
I'd like a thicknesser as well, but don't know where to start. Have been considering a combo (thicknesser/jointer).
Who knows?
Cheers, Steve :)

DavidW
7th December 2003, 08:25 AM
Looking at the picture on the web it looks the same as the Ryobi AP13 (reviewed on Deans site). The only difference I see (visually) is its $40.00 cheaper and has a better warranty.

Barry_White
7th December 2003, 10:28 AM
According to my local Bunnings salesperson Ryobi are bringing out a new model of their thicknesser because they sold all their current stock out cheap (less than GMC's price). They are also bringing out a new SCMS with twin guide rods. These are probaly to compete with GMC. I have bought a couple of GMC power tools and am impressed with the finish. How long they will last I don't know but it's the old saying, how many of the cheap ones can you wear out before you reach the price of say a DeWalt.

Don't get me wrong because I believe DeWalt make beautifil equipment and I have some, but it depends on how often you will use a particular tool, how accurate it has to be and how much you can afford.

Regards