PDA

View Full Version : african mahogany

kimtree
31st December 2007, 04:58 PM
todays milling 1400 x 1000 x 3100 african mahogany

wheelinround
31st December 2007, 05:05 PM
Some beautifull wood there Kimtree and excellent features in the wood patterns if you look close a number of faces

BobL
31st December 2007, 11:28 PM
DEE-licious!!! :2tsup:

Looks like a LUCAS mill? Tell us about your bar and chain setup?

kimtree
1st January 2008, 02:24 PM
the bar's 5'1'' standard lucas,the chain is a tungsten carbide 28 cutters on it,the cut is very smooth ,here's the rest of the log just finished

BobL
1st January 2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks kimtree. I love seeing pics of neat piles of slabs.

Wow 28 cutters in ~120" of chain - thats about 3 cutter's per ft - is that like double skip chain? What gauge is it?

It's interesting to hear you say the cut is much smoother with carbide chain. I guess the question to ask is compared to what other sort of chain? The small amount of milling I saw being done with a carbide chain on some fresh red gum looked like it was leaving small splinters on the cut surface - like it was sort of tearing the wood more than cutting as one would see on a conventional chain but it could be the miller had let the chain go far too blunt? Does it get less smooth as it blunts?

The smoothest cut I get with 3/8" chain is with the low profile 3/8". Of the other 3/8" chains I have tried, conventional, semi and full chisel, and square ground chisel, the square ground is the smoothest. I have milled a couple of logs with .404" chain but that created so much sawdust and it was if anything slower than the 3/8" I won't be bothering again.

cossi
1st January 2008, 10:50 PM
very nice wood kimtree!:2tsup:
well santa didn't bring me a chainsaw so i have got to start saving now! :(( :D, only just over two weeks till the wedding is out of the way...... should be making my own sawdust with you in a couple of months bob! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
2nd January 2008, 01:09 AM
Nice going Kimtree :2tsup: I've got a couple of slabs of the same to convert to furniture one day . ... . . . . . .. ...... . . . . . one day!!!

kimtree
2nd January 2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks kimtree. I love seeing pics of neat piles of slabs.

Wow 28 cutters in ~120" of chain - thats about 3 cutter's per ft - is that like double skip chain? What gauge is it?

It's interesting to hear you say the cut is much smoother with carbide chain. I guess the question to ask is compared to what other sort of chain? The small amount of milling I saw being done with a carbide chain on some fresh red gum looked like it was leaving small splinters on the cut surface - like it was sort of tearing the wood more than cutting as one would see on a conventional chain but it could be the miller had let the chain go far too blunt? Does it get less smooth as it blunts?

The smoothest cut I get with 3/8" chain is with the low profile 3/8". Of the other 3/8" chains I have tried, conventional, semi and full chisel, and square ground chisel, the square ground is the smoothest. I have milled a couple of logs with .404" chain but that created so much sawdust and it was if anything slower than the 3/8" I won't be bothering again.

goodday bobl all the chains that i have are double skip.404"the cut gets better as it blunts but you have to push more!definatally cuts slower than normal semi chisel chain.just in my experience normal semi chisel .404" leaves wave marks but you can motor thru the slab twice as quick,unfortunatly theres 10mm kerf wastage so lots of sawdust to get rid of[and slabs lost to the cut].cutting speed. a slab say 1000mm wide with sharp carbide about 10mm per second.with normal chain about 25mm per second,this is with african mahogany,dont really cut much else

BobL
2nd January 2008, 10:27 PM
goodday bobl all the chains that i have are double skip.404"the cut gets better as it blunts but you have to push more!definatally cuts slower than normal semi chisel chain.just in my experience normal semi chisel .404" leaves wave marks but you can motor thru the slab twice as quick,unfortunatly theres 10mm kerf wastage so lots of sawdust to get rid of[and slabs lost to the cut].cutting speed. a slab say 1000mm wide with sharp carbide about 10mm per second.with normal chain about 25mm per second,this is with african mahogany,dont really cut much else

Thanks