PDA

View Full Version : Help looking for some Saffronheart, Red Condoo and Burdekin Plum

shadowformz
1st January 2008, 03:39 PM
G'Day everyone, i was wondering whether any body might know where i would be able to find some Saffronheart (Halfordia scleroxyla) Red Condoo (Mimusops elengi) and Burdekin Plum (Pleigynium timorense) timber from. I am after turning blanks with minimum measurements of 21mm x 21mm x 310mm for making custom Pennywhistles out of, and have some exotic timbers that i would be willing to swap should any one happen to have something suitable available (eg Cocobolo, Morado, Ceylon Satinwood, Bubinga and Bois de rose etc). So far as i'm aware these timbers are native to North East Queensland so if anyone Knows of any wood buffs from this area i would greatly appreciate being put in touch with them. Regards Brad.

artme
1st January 2008, 03:52 PM
Try aPM to Toni - aka Lubbing5cherubs. She lives in Cairns and may be able to help.:?

TTIT
2nd January 2008, 12:46 AM
Welcome to the forum Brad. :U If you don't need it really straight-grained, I might be able to help with the Burdekin Plum. Have you got a piece of Cocobolo big enough to turn an egg from???

shadowformz
2nd January 2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your help and i'll get in contact with her, and just in case your wondering what a Pennywhistle is i've posted a couple of pics of a whistle i have recently made out of Boonaree and Arizona Ironwood, hope you enjoy them and all the best for the new year:).

shadowformz
2nd January 2008, 02:56 PM
G'Day Tree Terrorist and thanks for your interest. Most of my Cocobolo is in 25mm max square spindles, however i do have one 50mmx50mmx465mm blank of all deep red solid heartwood. If you think this piece would be suitable i would be interested in swapping it for four 21mmx21mmx310mm Burdekin Plum blanks provided they are all heartwood and crack and knot free. I could send you a pic of the piece if you like, regards Brad.

Manuka Jock
2nd January 2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Brad ,
nice whistles there mate :2tsup: , and the case is a beaut as well .
How do you make them , do you have a photo series of the process ?

cheers ,
Jock

PS Grand tartan you have too :)

shadowformz
2nd January 2008, 05:23 PM
G'Day Jock,
Glad you like the whistles:D and the tartan :wink:. I don't have any photos of the manufacturing process yet, but i use a precision geared metal lathe for turning both the timber and stainless steel fittings, and have a custom made tool holder mounted to the machines controled cross feed bed that holds gun drills for drilling the bores :C (phew what a mouth full that was). I produce them in batches of five and it takes about three weeks to finish a batch. Cheers Brad.:)

robyn2839
2nd January 2008, 06:40 PM
have one piece40x40x320 and 1 piece 40x40x150 safron also have soapwood in 40x40x320, plus other timber blanks that would suit, if thats any help .bob

robyn2839
2nd January 2008, 06:52 PM
SAFFRON HEART (Halfordia Kendack)

900mm x 125mm x 32mm

Hard, heavy and quite dense backsawn board (dark brown colour)

A couple of very minor surface checks

This board has not been moistened to highlight the grain

Dry, thickness-sanded (120 grit) & ready to use (10 - 12% MC)

Certainly not a common species
there is a buy it now of $16 i think, i buy all the time from these guys excellent mob to deal with.bob

Simomatra
2nd January 2008, 07:09 PM
Nice one I am also interested in how they are made dimension wise etc.

They look very interesting

Manuka Jock
2nd January 2008, 07:30 PM
G'Day Jock,
Glad you like the whistles:D and the tartan :wink:. I don't have any photos of the manufacturing process yet, but i use a precision geared metal lathe for turning both the timber and stainless steel fittings, and have a custom made tool holder mounted to the machines controled cross feed bed that holds gun drills for drilling the bores :C (phew what a mouth full that was). I produce them in batches of five and it takes about three weeks to finish a batch. Cheers Brad.:)

Go on Brad , be a devil , turn one by hand , just for us :D

show us that ya still have it in ya :p

TTIT
3rd January 2008, 12:16 AM
G'Day Tree Terrorist and thanks for your interest. Most of my Cocobolo is in 25mm max square spindles, however i do have one 50mmx50mmx465mm blank of all deep red solid heartwood. If you think this piece would be suitable i would be interested in swapping it for four 21mmx21mmx310mm Burdekin Plum blanks provided they are all heartwood and crack and knot free. I could send you a pic of the piece if you like, regards Brad.I'll check out my stock tomorrow and if it's not up to scratch I'll go chase up my mate that milled the tree - he's sure to have some straight stuff. Will PM you once I get sorted. :2tsup:

shadowformz
3rd January 2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Sam, the whistles are 292 mm long and have an outside diametre of just under 16mm with a bore of just under 12mm. the brass tube is to allow for telescopic extension of the instrument to bring it into tune as it is played in different temperatures and enviroments. Pennywhistle making is a precise art with very little margin for error, and i'm still in the process of perfecting my designs manufacturing process as at the moment only 40% of the instuments that have been made i consider satisfactory. Thanks again for your interest mate and all the best with your pens:2tsup: checked your website out and it looks beaut.:)

shadowformz
3rd January 2008, 11:51 AM
I'll check out my stock tomorrow and if it's not up to scratch I'll go chase up my mate that milled the tree - he's sure to have some straight stuff. Will PM you once I get sorted. :2tsup:
You beauty :D, look forward to doing business with you soon.