PDA

View Full Version : Excel formula

macca2
3rd January 2008, 10:17 AM
I run an Excel spreadsheet for tracking my banking over the year. I run one month to the page and total the Deposits and Withdrawals down to line 30 on each page. Columns C and D.

I want to bring forward these figures to a separate page that will show the total Deposits and Withdrawals for the year.

I tried the formula =SUM(Jan:Dec!C30) but this did not work.

Can someone please tell me where I have it wrong.

Thanks
Macca:?

Arthur Dyason
3rd January 2008, 10:41 AM
you need to specify each C and D cell in the SUM().

ie SUM(page1Cnn,page2Cnn,page3Cnn,etc,etc)

this will SUM all the totals into a single total which you can then reference elsewhere.

Bazzmate
3rd January 2008, 12:38 PM
Sounds like you need to use 'Pastelink'? Once you have a cell that contains the Sum of a column of deposits or withdrawals and you would like that cell to appear elsewhere on another worksheet (page), highlight that cell and copy it (e.g. Ctrl + C). Then go to the page where you want your summary of deposits or withdrawals to appear. Highlight a destination cell and then right mouse click on it. Select 'Paste Special' and then 'Pastelink'. From then on, any time the copied cell changes in value, the destination cell will automatically be updated.:2tsup:

You will probably know about the 'Autosum' button that adds up a column or row of figures? It's the Greek looking 'E' symbol button on the toolbar.
Another way to acheive Autosum is to press 'Alt' + '=' + 'Enter'. It works out to be faster (in my opinion) by not having to find/aim/click on a little button with the mouse. Hope that helps. Cheers.

Calm
3rd January 2008, 01:31 PM
I want to bring forward these figures to a separate page that will show the total Deposits and Withdrawals for the year.

I tried the formula =SUM(Jan:Dec!C30) but this did not work.

The easy way is to go to the cell you want the final figure to appear in click on =

Change to the first page click on the total figure you want to show on the total page eg c 30 then press + then the next page c30 and so on. this will give you the sum of the cells on each page you clicked on. Even if the cell has no number it will not matter.

macca2
3rd January 2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks to you all.

It now works OK and the formula looks like this

=SUM(January!C30+February!C30+March!C30+April!C30+May!C30+June!C30+July!C30+August!C30+September!C30+October!C30+November!C30+December!C30)

Macca

ajw
7th January 2008, 01:08 PM
If the tabs are called January, February.... December, and are contiguous (no other tabs between them), you can use this formula:

=SUM(January : December!B3)

(remove the spaces before and after the colon in the formula)

Allan :2tsup: