PDA

View Full Version : My own build lathe

Ad de Crom
5th January 2008, 01:24 AM
I designed in 2004 my new lathe, and used hardwood compact constructions for the housings for the head- and tailstock, as well as for the substructures. Also I build a frequency controle unit together with my son-in-low.
This lathe is now for almost four years in use, and runs very quiet and without any vibration. I made the headstock 90 degrees turnable for bowlturning.
A couple of pictures shows the different stages of the building procedure, as well as the design drawing, and the completed lathe.
Had before a lathe with a metal sheet housing, and was not happy with this lathe, always a lot of vibrations.
Well I missed on this new lathe a chuck, so all the time faceplate turning, but after building a clamping chuck, everything works fine.

les88
5th January 2008, 07:38 AM
very good build looks professional btw what does the jig do on the sander?:2tsup::2tsup:
les

artme
5th January 2008, 08:49 AM
Great Lathe Ad!!:2tsup::2tsup:
You say you built your own frequncy control unit?
I'd like to do that so I can have evs on my lathe but don't have a clue where to start.

Ad de Crom
5th January 2008, 09:14 AM
very good build looks professional btw what does the jig do on the sander?:2tsup::2tsup:
les

Thanks for looking Les, I use that sander (disc grinder) for shapening my tools, I build that too, an old washing machine motor, a wooden disc with an abrasive disc, and what you called a jig, very simple and also very safe. works great. But I think to replace it in the future by a beltgrinder.

Ad de Crom
5th January 2008, 09:18 AM
Great Lathe Ad!!:2tsup::2tsup:
You say you built your own frequncy control unit?
I'd like to do that so I can have evs on my lathe but don't have a clue where to start.

Well I had the luck with the help of my son-in-low, he taked care of all the needed components, else I'm eather had not the clue where to start.
Thanks for looking

echnidna
5th January 2008, 11:04 AM
Could you post a circuit for the frequency controller?

funkychicken
5th January 2008, 06:56 PM
Good work! It looks very professional.

rsser
10th January 2008, 05:51 PM
What, no windmill? :D

fred.n
10th January 2008, 06:27 PM
Nice work Ad :2tsup:

Pusser
11th January 2008, 12:33 AM
Could you post a circuit for the frequency controller?

Any of these a help?
http://www.discovercircuits.com/M/motor-cont.htm

woodwork wally
27th April 2008, 08:28 PM
Hi I would like to second that motion of echidna for a copy of the frequency controller Please Please A great job on the lathe Regards WW Wally

Zarguld
28th April 2008, 12:32 AM
That looks fantastic, And well does it turn your wood ?