PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Beauty

BernieP
5th January 2008, 03:38 PM
G'Day All

Pruned the big old Lasiandra (now called Tibouchina) last year and kept a few pieces. It is a very bright yellow with ingrown bark sections. Thought you might like to see the colours to add to you info. Unfortunately the shape more or less dictated itself.

Cheers
Bernie

dai sensei
5th January 2008, 03:45 PM
Looks great Bernie.

I've turned a fair bit of Tibouchina (I assume Noelene - spelling?) since my neighbour cut his down. Main thing is to turn and seal it before it turns grey, to keep those nice creamy yellow colours.

BernieP
5th January 2008, 04:38 PM
G'Day Neil

Thanks for that info, now Know which way to go about it.

Cheers
Bernie

PenTurner
5th January 2008, 05:21 PM
Bernie, it looks good, does that wood warp easily? does it need turning and sealing asap? Amos

artme
5th January 2008, 06:21 PM
Often wondered. There are a few I have my eye on but the neighbours won't let me near them!:D:D:q

dai sensei
5th January 2008, 06:42 PM
Bernie, it looks good, does that wood warp easily? does it need turning and sealing asap? Amos

I have had no problems with warping, but it does collapse in areas of lower density as it dries. For pens I cut 20mm thick and there is usually plenty of meat left. It does react to oil from your hand to make it go grey quickly, so temporary wax finishes are no good. On pens use CA or equivalent hard coating. Bowls I use shellewax and shellewax cream, but plenty of layers.

cedar n silky
5th January 2008, 06:46 PM
Not unlike the mullberry I turned last year. Similar colour. Looks like it's going to be a beauty:2tsup:

BernieP
5th January 2008, 06:54 PM
G'Day Amos

Left in chunks, piece in background of photo, tends to crack on end but only used some old fence paint to seal as I didn't think it would be any good. Lid still seems to be tight fit all round, but after seeing Neil's comments has collapsed in spots (like spalt).

G'Day Artme,

Tell your neighbour you'll prune them, I've never seen such new growth and I took it down 6inches from ground:? Had hoped to kill it!

Cheers
Bernie