PDA

View Full Version : February Pen Swap expression of interest

Pages : [1] 2

Simomatra
6th January 2008, 09:43 AM
I am willing to put my hand up as the donor of the blanks if anyone wants the pen swap again or do we want to do a pen swap where you actually make a pen for a partner and then swap the pen?

Just post here if interested

DJ’s Timber
6th January 2008, 11:02 AM
I'd put my hand up for making and swapping a pen with a partner

mick61
6th January 2008, 11:30 PM
G`day I am interested in pen swap still.
Mick:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th January 2008, 01:35 AM
:think:

I'd like to be in, but it's silly season here and I don't know what I'm doing from one moment to the next. Turning time is very scarce at the mo. :sigh:

Perhaps in a few weeks things'll settle down to normal and I can put my hand up again... [fingers Xed]

lubbing5cherubs
7th January 2008, 08:53 AM
to swap a pen I am in but I don't know about the rest but I have some nice blanks here I can use. save you on the first lot of postage. I think we would all have plenty of blanks in stash taht we could use. Just another thought for you Amos
all the best
Toni

Skew I am pretty sure if you want to be part of this. I know I would be happy to wait even if you were a bit late. I think we can trust you

Simomatra
7th January 2008, 10:26 AM
I enjoyed the pen swap over at the TPS so I think it is the way too go

We will wait a while and get the numbers and then do the pairing up.

This is open to all our overseas friends so if you are interested in swapping OS make a tag OS beside your name. If you want to just stay domestic put DOM beside your name

I will keep the list here

Simomatra OS DOM Aussie
DJ's Timber OS DOM Aussie
Corb's OS DOM Aussie
lubbing5cherubs OS DOM Aussie
Mick61 OS DOM Aussie
ss_11000 OS DOM Aussie
David Mitchell OS DOM Aussie
Funkychicken OS DOM Aussie
Bdar OS DOM Aussie
Celt40 OS DOM Scotland
New London 88 OS DOM USA
Matt88s OS DOM USA
ciscokid OS DOM USA
schaf OS DOM Aussie
Woodenink OS DOM Aussie
nfld steve OS DOM Canadia
Nancy Laird OS DOM (Outsider)* USA
lutefisk OS DOM USA
Glenn Mcculloug OS DOM USA
Austin OS DOM USA
Jeff in Indiana OS DOM USA
Old Wrangler OS USA
Big shed OS DOM Aussie
cigarman OS DOM USA
Ozmandus OS DOM (Outsider)*USA
Touchwood OS DOM Aussie
BernieP OS Aussie
Mrs Woodpecker OS DOM Aussie
Fireman sam OS DOM Aussie
ken6991 OS DOM USA
plomanto OS DOM USA
louisbry OS DOM USA
Rippa OS DOM Aussie
handyrn OS DOM USA
Penpal OS DOM Aussie
Toomm99 OS DOM USA
Dangermouse OS DOM Aussie
Kruger OS DOM France
Ligget OS DOM Scotland

*is for people not registered as a member on these forums

corbs
7th January 2008, 11:17 AM
Bugger it... why the hell not. Please put me down for either DOM or OS. Please post the rules when it happens so I know what is required. Have plenty of slimline kits and a few others and some pretty cool woods floating around that I need an excuse to use. (Have a nice 5' length of 3x3 forest oak, but the red mallee has caught my eye recently:D)

Cheers,
Corbs

DJ’s Timber
7th January 2008, 11:54 AM
DJ's Timber DOM or OS

David Mitchell
7th January 2008, 10:02 PM
I am in, DOM , OS
Thanks D M:)

funkychicken
7th January 2008, 10:31 PM
I'd be interested but first:

What is it exactly?
OS?
DOM?

DJ’s Timber
7th January 2008, 10:52 PM
I'd be interested but first:

What is it exactly?
OS?
DOM?

Read Simomatra's post at #6

funkychicken
7th January 2008, 11:05 PM
Ooooh, gotcha!

I'll just be DOM then

...I get confused around acronyms.....stop laughing....

bdar
7th January 2008, 11:35 PM
Sam will do DOM or OS if we get an odd number i will do a DOM and an OS to even it out.
Darren

ss_11000
8th January 2008, 12:14 AM
yeah, i'll be in. hopefully i'll get enough time to make something.

dom or os, doesnt really worry me.

swapping pens sounds good. also, i think we should stick to say one of 3 kits to make sure every one gets a nice pen. eg, a sierra, cigar or whatever...or even a nice slimline kit ( not a cheapo one ).
i know i would most likey use the pen i get from someone so i wouldnt want a 'crappy' plating on a well made slimline ( not saying i wouldnt use a slimline, i would just like the plating to last ). but whatever i get will be looked after none the less.

good onya for getting the swaps back up and runnning sam:2tsup:

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
8th January 2008, 07:41 AM
DOM or OS does not worry me
Toni

Simomatra
8th January 2008, 08:41 AM
Bump

Thanks all that have submitted so far. I think the rule should be that when you receive your partner you discuss with them what style you would like and if you want timber or acrylic or any other material. I agree with Stirlo that you need to make a nice pen in a quality kit.

The last one I did for OS was a black Ti baron in brown mallee and I actually received two nice Americans back all laser engraved including a wooden box

Spread the word we need more players

karlkuehn
8th January 2008, 09:20 AM
Hi guys!

I wish I could participate, but I'm really behind in orders, and things are getting really busy again at work. Seems like every free moment I get I'm either catching up on pens, cleaning the shop, or prepping wood to sell.

Frankly, I'm kind of knackered, but I guess that's part of the joy of an expanding business. Gah.

I look forward to seeing all the photos, though! :U

Simomatra
8th January 2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks Karl
Great too hear that you are so busy I wondered why you had been quite

celt40
8th January 2008, 09:40 AM
I will have a go. Pity my partner.

HappyHammer
8th January 2008, 09:46 AM
I'd be interested in a general pen blank swap. I'll have a heap of English Oak blanks soon due to off-cuts from some small slabs. Maybe I should put this in another thread.:B

HH.

NewLondon88
8th January 2008, 10:12 AM
I'd be in for OS or DOM .. but the poor fool who gets me for a swap partner should understand that I'm still fairly new at all of this. I'm not sure I would know a good kit from a bad one, but I've got some 'other' kits, too. I wouldn't shortchange anyone on anything but the primitive workmanship .. :o

Matt88s
8th January 2008, 01:40 PM
Count me in, OS or DOM. :2tsup:

Cheers!
Matthew

Simomatra
8th January 2008, 02:50 PM
I'd be interested in a general pen blank swap. I'll have a heap of English Oak blanks soon due to off-cuts from some small slabs. Maybe I should put this in another thread.:B

HH.

HH

I think you should start a new thread for blank swaps but please consider being in the pen swap a lot of fun and we now have some OS onboard could be the start of something good

Simomatra
8th January 2008, 02:51 PM
Welcome to all the overseas pen swappers glad to have you aboard if you know others you might be interested spread the word its fully open

ciscokid
8th January 2008, 09:51 PM
I would be happy to participate in this pen swap. Overseas or domestic, makes no never mind to me. Thank you for the invitation! :) I've got Churchills, Flat Top Americanas, and Titanium Sierras in stock. Plenty of timber also.

Simomatra
9th January 2008, 08:17 AM
I have a candidate from the US forum TPS who would like to participate but as she belongs to 6 forums and a moderator on one does not really want to register

What's your thoughts I say she can join the swap what say you

David Mitchell
9th January 2008, 08:56 AM
Yes, I aggree all the more the wider experiences:2tsup:
Regards D M

schaf
9th January 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi sam,
I'm in. OS or DOM

Thanks
Terry

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2008, 09:15 AM
What's your thoughts I say she can join the swap what say you

The more the merrier :U :2tsup:

NewLondon88
9th January 2008, 09:57 AM
I might need some help here. In the spirit of the pen swap and the possibility of pens going overseas, I jumped in the car and headed down to some places that has some decent (I think) 'exotic woods'. (ie. Rockler, Woodcraft etc)

One place had a sale on 'Australian burls' at a pretty decent price per board foot, but when I went to pay, it rang up as one board foot instead of 2.6bf, 3.1bf etc.. so I bought more.

The problem is, they're not identified except for initials. One says JZ, one says AM and one says MA.

Can anyone identify them from these pics?

The one that says JZ has some beautiful figuring in parts of it, but checked and cracked, so I'll need to work this one like a gem cutter, I think.

ciscokid
9th January 2008, 11:31 AM
Dang, they sure got some nice timbers down under! I've got some of that MA in my shed also. Never knew what it was.

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2008, 11:37 AM
Shooting in the dark here, the initials you have supplied have no meaning for me.

Anyway, the first one looks like Blackwood, 2nd maybe Yellowbox or Yellow Mallee with the last Bulloak

Simomatra
9th January 2008, 05:06 PM
I can't help with those initials but someone else may be able to . DJ works in the wood industry so he is probably well on to it

You have some beautiful pieces there and at a bargain

Well done

NewLondon88
9th January 2008, 11:29 PM
Anyway, the first one looks like Blackwood, 2nd maybe Yellowbox or Yellow Mallee with the last Bulloak

Fair enough .. the sign did say there was some Mallee in there, but I don't
know what kind or which one was which.

Some nice figuring, so I'm excited either way!
Thanks for the help.. and I'll keep looking for pics to see if I can nail it down,
too. I'd hate to send a pen and identify it as "Umm .. it's WOOD!":D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th January 2008, 12:22 AM
Are those initials supplied in order of pix?

'Cos the last one could be African Mahogany... MA may be Mountain Ash but none look like it to me. :no:

NewLondon88
10th January 2008, 09:52 AM
Are those initials supplied in order of pix?

'Cos the last one could be African Mahogany... MA may be Mountain Ash but none look like it to me. :no:

Hmm.. I don't remember at all. I brought the wood to the shop today to
try it on the bandsaw, so I don't have it here to check. But I'll do that in the
morning and let you know. I'm pretty sure the last one (most square, it was
about 6x6x2?) said JZ on it, but I won't swear to it till I check.

mick61
10th January 2008, 10:09 PM
G`day I don`t mind Dom or Os is ok with me.
Mick:D

NewLondon88
11th January 2008, 05:13 AM
I took some more pix, but I'll put it in a new thread.

PenTurner
11th January 2008, 08:41 AM
Hello Sam, if there is room, Amos wouldn't mind making a pen for someone either DOM or OS. Amos:)
P.S. Cisco the wood is always better over the seas.!:rolleyes::)Amos

Simomatra
11th January 2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks Amos

There is still plenty of room for more players

This is exciting

Simomatra
12th January 2008, 07:09 AM
A big welcome to our fellow pen turners from the TPS site who are now participating in this pen swap

Welcome aboard:2tsup::2tsup::aussie5::usa3:

rowie
12th January 2008, 02:53 PM
I might need some help here. In the spirit of the pen swap and the possibility of pens going overseas, I jumped in the car and headed down to some places that has some decent (I think) 'exotic woods'. (ie. Rockler, Woodcraft etc)

One place had a sale on 'Australian burls' at a pretty decent price per board foot, but when I went to pay, it rang up as one board foot instead of 2.6bf, 3.1bf etc.. so I bought more.

The problem is, they're not identified except for initials. One says JZ, one says AM and one says MA.

Can anyone identify them from these pics?

The one that says JZ has some beautiful figuring in parts of it, but checked and cracked, so I'll need to work this one like a gem cutter, I think.
The first photo looks like AMboyna, The 2nd, MA? prob M4 as in Myrtle 4kgs, and 3rd, JZ ? about 6x6x2 ? I reckon J2 as in jarrah 2kgs. I had a good pick up about 12 years ago, I spotted and promptly bought a heap of "pine" 4x2s going cheap which was actually all KD HUON:o:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
12th January 2008, 10:02 PM
HI Sam when do you plan on getting this going for??

Toni

Simomatra
12th January 2008, 10:22 PM
HI Sam when do you plan on getting this going for??

Toni
HI Tony I understand your question. Starts February 1 and should be completed by end of March

How does that fit in with the new cherub:p:p

funkychicken
12th January 2008, 10:27 PM
Fine, I'll do OS if I have to...just to fit in...

But first I'll have to get my new lathe, a mandrel, and some pre-drilled blanks.

Or are the blanks sent to us? Please explain the whole deal, I'm new to this.

Big Shed
12th January 2008, 10:34 PM
Like funkychicken I'm new to this, as I am to pen turning.

I'm not sure that I should impose my inexperienced pen turning on someone else at this stage.

However, would love to take part, as long as people realise my limitations.

OS or local, all the same to me.

Have some nice timbers to use though, ironbark, yellow gum, yellow box, grey box, red gum, stringy bark, blackwood and a few others.

lubbing5cherubs
12th January 2008, 10:46 PM
Bigshed I am sure everyone agree with me. You are welcome to join. Each of us started at the beginning once. Do not let your thoughts of inability hold you back. Just do you best and the recipient will be thrilled to bits with your effort. Hope you do decide to join. Love to have you onboard and this goes for all beginners
bye Toni

David Mitchell
12th January 2008, 11:06 PM
Hi Big shed It would be great for you to join in this acivity ,
I started afew months ago and remember I met you at the Avoca market the other month we were both talking to Noel Watson, maybe he may join in this acivity also :):2tsup:
Regards D M

OldWrangler
13th January 2008, 02:57 AM
Since you are accepting "foreigners", I'd like to toss my sombrero in the ring from Texas. I've got some typical Texas materials that would love to become a pen and go to live on the other side of the world. We got Whitetail deer Antler, Alligator jaw bone, Texas ebony, King Ranch Mesquite, Pecos ironwood, Bois D'Arc, and other stuff. Count me in for a swap with an Ozzie. When will the swap be so I can start plotting.

OldWrangler

Jeff in Indiana
13th January 2008, 03:13 AM
Greetings,
I would be happy to be involved in the pen swap, and can offer a variety of colored resins, and a varied sample of woods. I would be happy to trade US<-->AU ..

Thanks for allowing us in from across the pond. :2tsup:

--jeff

NewLondon88
13th January 2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks for allowing us in from across the pond. :2tsup:
--jeff

:whs:

ss_11000
13th January 2008, 07:23 AM
Since you are accepting "foreigners", I'd like to toss my sombrero in the ring from Texas. I've got some typical Texas materials that would love to become a pen and go to live on the other side of the world. We got Whitetail deer Antler, Alligator jaw bone, Texas ebony, King Ranch Mesquite, Pecos ironwood, Bois D'Arc, and other stuff. Count me in for a swap with an Ozzie. When will the swap be so I can start plotting.

OldWrangler
alligator bone... can you post a link or picture of one of your pens made of this:)

Big Shed
13th January 2008, 08:32 AM
Bigshed I am sure everyone agree with me. You are welcome to join. Each of us started at the beginning once. Do not let your thoughts of inability hold you back. Just do you best and the recipient will be thrilled to bits with your effort. Hope you do decide to join. Love to have you onboard and this goes for all beginners
bye Toni

Thank you Toni

Hi Big shed It would be great for you to join in this acivity ,
I started afew months ago and remember I met you at the Avoca market the other month we were both talking to Noel Watson, maybe he may join in this acivity also :):2tsup:
Regards D M

Thanks David, I remember you talking about all the different timbers you have.

Simomatra
13th January 2008, 08:32 AM
Great stuff good to see that a few outsiders are now on the inside Welcome.

I will start a new post marked Pen Swap 2008 update the list there and establish some guide lines

Norbert alias Kruger sent me a PM and I have explained how it works so maybe France will join in as well

BS you are well and truly welcome you will not be the only new pen turner in the swap. As has been said we were all beginners at one stage and have learnt by the experience

Look for the new post this one is getting long

OldWrangler
13th January 2008, 01:00 PM
Hey Stirlo,

Don't have any pictures of the pens I made from Alligator and I am waiting for a fellow in Louisiana to send more jaws. It is made from the lower jaw bone next to where it hinges. It takes a good size gator to have bone thick enough(about 8' gator). When carefully sawed, I can get a straight piece about 3/4" x 5". It looks very similar to camel bone or antler and it polishes up nice like an ivory. It has a little graininess that is sometimes a green/brown. The jaws cost me $8 each plus a little shipping and I usually get 2 pens. I made 3 before Christmas and all 3 sold quickly. Now I have to get more jaws. It turns, drills and sands nicely but I shattered one piece that I tried to turn too small. Y'all are overrun with crocs so you should be able to get something that would be similar.

Touchwood
13th January 2008, 04:44 PM
Hello to one and all, it's been a while!! :B

Thanks Simomatra for the lovely email :2tsup: - I was touched that someone missed me!! Things have been so busy that I just never seem to get onto the forum anymore, even now I'm on school holidays I'm still actually doing school work most days getting ready for the new year :o:o Once back I'll be flat out as I am also coordinating $12 mill of additions to the school. Keeping everyone happy takes time.

However, I would love to be either OS or DOM as then I'll be committed to 'get thee to the shed'.

We have now also gone to broadband so computing does take a little less time - dial up was sooooo slow.

JD

DJ’s Timber
13th January 2008, 04:49 PM
Nice to hear from you JD, have been wondering where you were.

Will add you to the list :2tsup:

Simomatra
13th January 2008, 05:20 PM
Hello to one and all, it's been a while!! :B

Thanks Simomatra for the lovely email :2tsup: - I was touched that someone missed me!! Things have been so busy that I just never seem to get onto the forum anymore, even now I'm on school holidays I'm still actually doing school work most days getting ready for the new year :o:o Once back I'll be flat out as I am also coordinating $12 mill of additions to the school. Keeping everyone happy takes time.

However, I would love to be either OS or DOM as then I'll be committed to 'get thee to the shed'.

We have now also gone to broadband so computing does take a little less time - dial up was sooooo slow.

JD

Jenny glad to see you are alive and well good to have you back

BernieP
13th January 2008, 05:40 PM
G'Day Sam

Thanks for PM, best put me down for OS, just hope I can live up to expectations:oo:

cheers
Bernie

Mrs Woodpecker
13th January 2008, 06:37 PM
Count me in - DOM or OS.
Shirley

Simomatra
13th January 2008, 06:53 PM
Welcome Shirley

I have a pen going to Yeppoon tomorrow

lubbing5cherubs
13th January 2008, 08:59 PM
One word of warning on crocodile and antler pens. I know this may be a problem with customs. They do not like animal product coming into the country so it is something we are going to have to be all aware because we do not want our pens having to pay them to get them fumigated which can cost up to $50 well that is what they wanted to charge me to get it fumigated for 1 pen blank.
so just some food for thought. Like snake skins that are wrapped in resin it does not seem to be a problem
just a thought for our international freinds sending into Australia
bye Toni

ss_11000
13th January 2008, 09:05 PM
Hey Stirlo,

Don't have any pictures of the pens I made from Alligator and I am waiting for a fellow in Louisiana to send more jaws. It is made from the lower jaw bone next to where it hinges. It takes a good size gator to have bone thick enough(about 8' gator). When carefully sawed, I can get a straight piece about 3/4" x 5". It looks very similar to camel bone or antler and it polishes up nice like an ivory. It has a little graininess that is sometimes a green/brown. The jaws cost me $8 each plus a little shipping and I usually get 2 pens. I made 3 before Christmas and all 3 sold quickly. Now I have to get more jaws. It turns, drills and sands nicely but I shattered one piece that I tried to turn too small. Y'all are overrun with crocs so you should be able to get something that would be similar.

thanx for the info:)

One word of warning on crocodile and antler pens. I know this may be a problem with customs. They do not like animal product coming into the country so it is something we are going to have to be all aware because we do not want our pens having to pay them to get them fumigated which can cost up to $50 well that is what they wanted to charge me to get it fumigated for 1 pen blank.
so just some food for thought. Like snake skins that are wrapped in resin it does not seem to be a problem
just a thought for our international freinds sending into Australia
bye Toni
i dont think it would be a problem foir a finished pen. can any one confirm this?

Fireman sam
13th January 2008, 09:49 PM
Hi Sam
I am in OS or DOM :2tsup:
thanks Andrew

ken6991
14th January 2008, 11:37 AM
Hey Sam. Is it to late to join in on the pen swap? It would be great to join in on this.

Ken Mayes

Simomatra
14th January 2008, 11:49 AM
Hey Sam. Is it to late to join in on the pen swap? It would be great to join in on this.

Ken Mayes

No problems Ken your in:2tsup:

Welcome aboard

plomanto
14th January 2008, 01:29 PM
I am a beginner but I would like to participate.

Peter

Simomatra
14th January 2008, 02:01 PM
I am a beginner but I would like to participate.

Peter

Your more than welcome Peter, enjoy

louisbry
14th January 2008, 04:42 PM
Hi Sam,

I would like to participate OS. Thanks for including us from across the pond.

Louis

Rippa
14th January 2008, 05:49 PM
I'M in if you will have me OS DOM
I need the practice.
Rippa

nfld steve
14th January 2008, 08:58 PM
Hi guys,I make a nice moose antler slimline,as I heard you talking about antler,but just in case of some "customs rule",lol,(I've been through customs a few times,and they can be sticky), I think I probably will make a nice pen with wood.
Do my best anyway.I have a nice lot of choices in my little workshop.:2tsup:
This is a great idea!!I'm really looking forward to it.
Steve

ss_11000
14th January 2008, 09:05 PM
this is getting huge.:2tsup:

NewLondon88
15th January 2008, 09:38 AM
this is getting huge.:2tsup:

Ain't it great?? :D

Simomatra
15th January 2008, 03:06 PM
Great stuff alright, I think we should make this an annual event to celebrate Australia Day.:2tsup::2tsup:

How say you all?

Big Shed
15th January 2008, 03:38 PM
Great stuff alright, I think we should make this an annual event to celebrate Australia Day.:2tsup::2tsup:

How say you all?

You got it Sam, The Great Australia Day Pen Swap!!!!!:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
15th January 2008, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a goer Sam :2tsup:, could even do one for July 4th seeing that a few of the swapees are from the States :U. Make it a twice yearly thing, what do reckon :shrug:

ss_11000
15th January 2008, 05:08 PM
and to make it a twice a year thing... why not do one around july for yanky independence day?

EDIT: wow good idea Dj.:2tsup: great minds think alike.

Big Shed
15th January 2008, 05:44 PM
Then we can all make pens like this:U

Simomatra
15th January 2008, 06:59 PM
I think that's a good idea, what say you guys over the pond?

Maybe be can also do a pen blank swap sometime and get some new some new blanks circulating

nfld steve
16th January 2008, 05:41 AM
Excellant!!Canada Day??lol...Alot of "days",lol.
To me though ,there's something about Australia,even though I live in Newfoundland.But our family background comes from Ireland,hence Lundrigan as my last name,and on my mothers side,from Sctotland/England/Wales,,,,you know,all them places,,so,somehow I may have some very distant relatives in Oz.
I know you guys down there have the exact same sense of hunour as us here in Nfld.
Anyway,really looking forward to the pen swap.Gotta finish an intarsia now though,funds to support my turning habit,lol.
I've also made a few shackles from turning too,so I must be learning.
Anyway guys,talk to you soon,Steve

Matt88s
16th January 2008, 03:35 PM
I think that's a good idea, what say you guys over the pond?

Maybe be can also do a pen blank swap sometime and get some new some new blanks circulating

I actually thought suggesting a 4th of July swap, it would space them pretty well apart, but it looks like I didn't get around to it in time. :U

I was wondering too, if perhaps it would work well to do a bank swap at the same time, just maybe a couple three few or something, tucked in with the pen, surely it wouldn't cost much more than sending the pen itself, needn't be anything fancy, just some local native timbers.

I've never mailed anything to AU so I don't know how it works though, perhaps I should stop by the post office and find out what international postage is before I put my foot in my mouth. :-

NewLondon88
16th January 2008, 10:57 PM
I was wondering too, if perhaps it would work well to do a blank swap at the same time, just maybe a couple three few or something, tucked in with the pen, surely it wouldn't cost much more than sending the pen itself, needn't be anything fancy, just some local native timbers.

I was thinking of tucking in a few, anyway. But once I saw it mentioned that
customs might have a problem with it, I figured I'd better not.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th January 2008, 11:04 PM
Sounds like a goer Sam :2tsup:, could even do one for July 4th seeing that a few of the swapees are from the States :U. Make it a twice yearly thing, what do reckon :shrug:

How many July 4ths per year do our friends over the pond have? :p

DJ’s Timber
16th January 2008, 11:05 PM
I was wondering too, if perhaps it would work well to do a bank swap at the same time, just maybe a couple three few or something, tucked in with the pen, surely it wouldn't cost much more than sending the pen itself, needn't be anything fancy, just some local native timbers.

I've never mailed anything to AU so I don't know how it works though, perhaps I should stop by the post office and find out what international postage is before I put my foot in my mouth. :-

I was thinking of tucking in a few, anyway. But once I saw it mentioned that
customs might have a problem with it, I figured I'd better not.

There is no problems with posting wood into Australia, as long as it's clean, with no spalting, borer holes and no bark on it they'll let it in. You must label it as timber for craft or pen making and, they may open it to check it but will let it through as long as its clean like I said above.

NewLondon88
16th January 2008, 11:07 PM
There is no problems with posting wood into Australia, as long as it's clean, with no spalting, borer holes and no bark on it they'll let it in. You must label it as timber for craft or pen making and, they may open it to check it but will let it through as long as its clean like I said above.

Good deal! I've got a few pieces I could throw in there.. Thanks!

Matt88s
17th January 2008, 01:32 AM

Hmm, no spalting you say? Something like this, even sealed? :C http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/003-10.jpg

handyrn
17th January 2008, 08:27 AM
I would be interested in joining this pen swap. I would do OS or DOM. I am new to turning, but having a grand time doing it. let me know the details when they are settled.
Cindy

Simomatra
17th January 2008, 08:42 AM
I would be interested in joining this pen swap. I would do OS or DOM. I am new to turning, but having a grand time doing it. let me know the details when they are settled.
Cindy

Welcome Cindy keep you eye on the sticky at the top your name will appear there. Will advise when we make the draw

lubbing5cherubs
17th January 2008, 08:52 AM

Dj, I have got both spalted oak and spalted maple into Australia with no difficulties. The Antler got confiscated, Bark was confiscated but never spalting.
hope that helps not causing an argument but I wanted to let you know
bye Toni

PenTurner
17th January 2008, 09:20 AM
What about National or Global Pen Day!!! for the addicts of course:rolleyes::)Amos

DJ’s Timber
17th January 2008, 10:00 AM
Dj, I have got both spalted oak and spalted maple into Australia with no difficulties. The Antler got confiscated, Bark was confiscated but never spalting.
hope that helps not causing an argument but I wanted to let you know
bye Toni

Thats fair enough Toni, but I supposed it comes done to who does the inspection if any at the time :shrug:. Spalting is mainly caused by fungus growing in the wood and Customs would never allow Fungus in to the country in an uncontrolled environment.

Toomm99
17th January 2008, 01:45 PM
I would like to join the pen swap if there is still room. I had a lot of fun on the pen shop swap. I would like to do OS.
Thanks
Tom
Burlington, Ct.

glenn_mcculloug
18th January 2008, 10:55 AM
Had an rookie issue logging on, finally got here. Looks like a fine showing for a pen swap. Looking forward to participating.
Been watching the "OPEN" and it is a good one. You guys down under are great hosts in a number of ways.
Thanks for the invite, Sam.

Glenn McCullough
Chesterfield, MI
goldmountainwoodworks.blogspot.com/

Simomatra
18th January 2008, 11:02 AM
Had an rookie issue logging on, finally got here. Looks like a fine showing for a pen swap. Looking forward to participating.
Been watching the "OPEN" and it is a good one. You guys down under are great hosts in a number of ways.
Thanks for the invite, Sam.

Glenn McCullough
Chesterfield, MI
goldmountainwoodworks.blogspot.com/

Good to see you finally made it here Glenn:2tsup::2tsup:

Welcome to the mad house as you can see there is a lot mote than pens going on here

Welcome mate:p:p

PenTurner
18th January 2008, 01:35 PM
hello Glen underscore Mcculloug, welcome along, hope to see some of your work posted. Amos:)

Simomatra
18th January 2008, 01:42 PM
Johnson has also joined he is called lutefisk on here johnson on TPS, welcome to the madhouse dale, enjoy:2tsup:

Dangermouse
18th January 2008, 02:30 PM
Ok guys, you've twisted my arm - I'm in! :wink:

OS or DOM...

Lutefisk
18th January 2008, 02:57 PM
you can put me in more than once if you need. arm still don't work but i have a bunch done on hand. lots to look at here.
dale

Ligget
19th January 2008, 08:05 PM
Hi

Not been here for a while, I am interested in joining the swap if it`s not too late.

Thanks Sam for the heads up!

Cheers
Mark

Simomatra
21st January 2008, 11:05 AM
:bump2:

Getting near the draw so if anyone else wants in post here soon:D:D