PDA

View Full Version : A Optic Fibre Lamp I made over the Xmas break

CREST
8th January 2008, 06:32 PM
Greetings and a Happy New Year to all,

Over the Xmas break I made this spiral lamp out of Camphour Laurel.
At first I was going to make it a simple round glass light, but my wife wanted it to be an Opic Fibre.

Jim Carroll
8th January 2008, 08:02 PM
Now thats thinking outside the square.

Good work.

DJ’s Timber
8th January 2008, 08:16 PM
Very nice :2tsup:, what are the dimensions of it and what sort of shade will you be using if any.

Jim Carroll
8th January 2008, 08:56 PM
You dont usually use a shade with fibre optics.:rolleyes:

hughie
8th January 2008, 10:17 PM
Camphor Laurel, did not know it grew in the Alice.

As Jim says that outside the square.

well done

TTIT
10th January 2008, 11:21 AM
Interesting idea Crest, and well executed :2tsup: Always on the lookout for something different - did you rat an existing lamp for the fibre-setup or can you buy them somewhere???

woodwork wally
10th January 2008, 11:50 AM
Hi a lovely unit I am also intrested to do fibre optics so please can you buy the fibres or were they ratted from another unit Regards Wally

nfld steve
14th January 2008, 09:13 PM
That's wicked Crest!!I have to ask though,as I've been thinking about this "twist" thing for awhile.
Is it difficult to learn how to do this.
I've seen special chisels in magazines with a person standing there holding it to the wood,and the person looks relaxed as if it's easy as eating pie,lol.But I have my suspicions he's looking that way to sell the chisels,like,it's so easy,it can be done standing back on to the lathe with your eyes closed,and whistling a tune,while peeling an orange with your other hand.:D
I don't think this is actually the case,and then again,,maybe I'm reading too much into that picture,lol,I do have a real imagination,lol.
Seriously though,I was wondering if it's difficult to learn it.
Thanks,Steve

Jigsaw
9th March 2008, 08:37 PM
Do you know what type of optical fibre you are using.
I have some Belden 12 or 24 core Single Mode fibre cable offcuts that are destined for the skip. They are in odd lengths but greater than 10 metre.
The fibre cable is still contained within the sheath and it is Gel filled.
You will need to remove the sheath and the gel.
It then consists of individual fibres surrounded by plastic insulation similar to standard metal wire insulation.
Each fibre is 6.25 micron wide, about as thick as a hair on your head but this depends on if you have any hair :) and how thick it is.