PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail

Rocker
6th December 2003, 08:01 AM
Has anyone else been having trouble with Hotmail, since they changed the format a few days ago? I find that, if I want to compose or reply to an e-mail, there is html code in the message box. This used to happen previously, but it used to clear itself after a few seconds and leave a clear box. Now it just stays there and my e-mails don't work if I delete the html. have been having to use Outlook Express for outgoing mail these last few days. My operating system is Windows ME.

Rocker
6th December 2003, 10:36 AM
Hmmm, looks as though I have a virus that Norton doesn't know about. When I send a test message from Hotmail to my other e-mail account, I find, when I open the e-mail in Outlook Express that the message I sent is replaced by a presumably bogus message inviting the recipient to download a free virus scanning program. I have run Norton and it has found nothing untoward.

Dean
6th December 2003, 03:38 PM
Have the latest virus definitions loaded from the Norton website or through the Norton Auto-Update feature?

Rocker
6th December 2003, 08:29 PM
Dean,
Yes ; I updated my virus definitions a couple of days ago. But I have now come to the conclusion that the problem is a bug in the recently revamped Hotmail that is specific to my operating system (Windows ME). I have discovered that Hotmail is working OK for me on my wife's computer, which has Windows 98. I think they are working overtime at Microsoft, since, when I contacted MSN support, I got a message that, due to heavy demand, I would not get a reply for 5 days. Seems a bit slack to put up a new version of Hotmail without thoroughly testing it on all operating systems.

Dean
6th December 2003, 08:32 PM
Ahh I see :)
Maybe a can of bug spray might be more useful then!

Barry_White
7th December 2003, 11:30 AM
I suppose you heard about what Microsoft have done.

They produced their operating system CE

And then they brought out ME

Then connected them all to NT

So now what have they got CEMENT, so that is what you have clogging up your system.

Regards:confused: :confused: :confused:

Predator
15th December 2003, 11:06 AM
Do not know about the problem with Microsoft , but a good virus down load is AVG , it is free and can be updated when you want--I would suggest doing it once a week.
If you are concerned about getting a virus ( and who isn`t? ) Try this

This is something to consider----------------

I learned a computer trick today that's really ingenious in its
simplicity.

As you may know, when or if a worm virus gets into your computer it
usually heads straight for your email address book, and sends itself to
everyone in there, thus infecting all your friends and associates.

This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but
it will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it
will alert you to the fact, that the worm has gotten into your system.

Here's what you do:

First, open your address book and click on "new contact," just as you
would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of email
addresses. In the window where you would type your friend's first name,
type in AAAAAAA. Same in space labeled screen name. For the address
> type [email protected]

Now, here's what you've done and why it works:

The "name" AAAAAAA will be placed at the top of your address book as entry

#1. This will be where the worm will start in an effort to
send itself to all your friends. But, when it tries to send itself to
AAAAAAA, it will be undeliverable because of the phony email address you
entered. If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony
address), the worm goes no further and your friends will not be
infected.
Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an email cannot
be delivered, you will be notified of this in your Inbox almost
immediately. Hence, if you ever get an email telling you that an
email addressed to AAA could not be delivered, you know right away that
you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps to get
rid of it!
Pretty slick huh?

If everybody you know does this then you need not ever worry about
opening mail from friends.

Pass this on to all your friends.

Pred

Wood Borer
15th December 2003, 02:51 PM
Predator,

I ran this past our IT people and I was told it is unfortunately a hoax known as the !0000 hoax.

I looked it up on Google and found heaps of listings one of which is http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99213.htm

Unfortunate because people like Predator are trying to do the right thing but are victims of the hoaxer. Doesn't seem fair.

I might stick to the woodwork and keep away from the crazy world of viruses and hoaxes.

- Wood Borer

Predator
15th December 2003, 03:21 PM
Wood Borer
Thank you for this info--I had looked to see if it was a hoax--and didn`t find anything--I apologize to the board--Thought I was doing a good thing--even several Techs I know said it would work--again--I apologize.

Wood Borer
15th December 2003, 03:35 PM
Predator,

No need to apologise, everyone who tries to do the right thing about these issues has been caught at one time or another. When I have been caught out many times in similar circumstances it makes me feel like not spreading the good word but I still do.

Thanks for your good intentions, I am sorry it turned out to be a hoax but don't let that dissuade you from being a good samaritan.

- Wood Borer

Rocker
15th December 2003, 06:32 PM
I have to say that I was a bit sceptical of predator's anti-worm strategy. Surely a geek/hacker would not make his virus give up just because the first attempt to send to the people in the addressee's address list had failed. I was also a bit concerned by the mild threat that seemed to be implied by predator's nickname. But maybe I am paranoid.

Anyway my Hotmail seems to be restored to health now:)

DonN
15th December 2003, 08:15 PM
Rocker

Go to Google and type in Stinger. when it comes up download the file (it's free).
Run the program and it should fined you virus. Also download ad-aware 6. What both of these programs find may supprise you.

DonN

Predator
16th December 2003, 06:57 AM
Wood Borer and Rocker.
I guess we all get caught at some time--I`ll definitly will be a lot more careful-- it does seem to make one gun shy when they have been hoaxed--Thanks for the understanding.
Rocker--My nickname is one I have picked up--due to where I live , there are few predators that we do not have--I am constantly out hunting them--possums ,skunks.coyotes.bobcats weasels,occasional mountain lions,bear ( black ),ferrel dogs and fox to name some. I don`t sleep but 4 hours a night--for I`m in the mountains and fields--hunting these varments most every night--and in the day--if they come around--well--I grab the gun and eliminate them.I don`t do this for pleasure only, but to protect my chickens--that are very expensive.For some reason where I live --they never seem to diminish in population.If the coyotes disappear--wait about 8 months and they are back --twice as many. Whenever a friend has a predator problem--I`m called .
So do not be paranoid of my name--It is only a handle that I was given because of my handling of predators.