PDA

View Full Version : Woodworkers in Singapore?

timwilk
13th January 2008, 01:45 AM
I recently joined the forum and see that there is quite a strong international contingent to the members listing. Unfortunately I do not see how you can sort the members list by "Location" to know who else in in your area or country. Any members in Singapore? I have been resident here for many years but never come across anyone with the same interest in woordworking or woodturning. I am a complete novice and still putting together my workshop but just the difficulty of finding good quality tools here suggests that it is not a popular pass-time.
I'd be interest to meet anyone with the same interest here.

Simomatra
13th January 2008, 09:39 AM
Welcome Tim to the mad house

I have been in an out of Singapore for years and have looked for people there before with no luck.

Will give you a buzz next time I pass through there

Ron Dunn
13th January 2008, 09:53 AM
Tim, it is four years since I lived in Singapore, so this information may be totally useless by now.

There used to be a reasonable quality tool shop in Centrelink arcade. I think it was on the second floor, but my memory may be wrong. They had a selection of hand tools that suggested they may have woodworking customers. I'd go there and ask.

My next avenue of enquiry would be the Residents' Association in the area you live, or perhaps the Library. They would be able to tell you about clubs and associations in their area.

There used to be a few furniture maker shop-houses near Gayworld, in Geylang. I think they got bulldozed a couple of years ago :(

There was also a small furniture trade across the causeway in JB. I remember seeing a workshop in Jln. Harimau, near Holiday Plaza. I've also seen them in outlying suburbs like Permas Jaya and Johor Jaya, but they'd be impossible to find without local knowledge. There was a tool sales place in Tmn. Sentosa, just off Jln. Songkit, possibly Lorong 2 or 3, but he concentrated on power tools and seemed to serve local trades, not hobbies.

That said, I think woodworking is not going to be popular. Too hot, too anti-social with noise, etc.

What type of woodworking are you proposing? Where will you work?

PenTurner
13th January 2008, 01:00 PM
Hello Tim, welcome along, I think one reason for lack of wood turners in Singapore is space, most residents are in high rise apatrments(flats), a mini lathe might be acceptable though. Good luck, Amos:)

khigia
6th March 2008, 03:49 PM
Hello!

I'm so happy to hear about woodworking in Singapore!
Thanks for all the advice in this thread.

I'm living in Singapore, and would love to meet woodworking fellow and/or share advice and knowledge ;)

Btw, I would be also interested in knowing about furniture makers in Singapore; anybody know about a kind of workshop directory?

powderpost
7th March 2008, 09:43 PM
In February/March 1999, I was demonstrating woodturning in the Atrium, Suntec centre. I had to take my lathe and tools with me. A local man made me an offer to buy the machine. I accepted the offer to avoid bringing it home, so there is at least one lathe in Singapore. I discovered that wood is not a very popular medium in Singapore.
Jim

Wongo
7th March 2008, 11:05 PM
I must say woodwork as a hobby isn’t really an Asian thing. People in Places like Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and China are way too busy working 10 hours a day 6 days a week. The live in small and crowded units. Not many people have disposable income to fund such expensive hobby.

I grew up in Hong Kong and I cannot think of a place in Hong Kong where you can go and buy a lump of wood.

ytwood
4th August 2009, 03:17 AM
Oh, that's most cool!

There are woodturners in Singapore?? I just came back from Masters studies in the US, and had picked up woodturning there. I really like it, but as most of you say.. it's not so easy to start it here. (We Singaporeans aren't really DIY folks).

So I'm really pleased that there are people here keen enough to set up their own studio. I'd love to meet up with others, and hear about any progress -- like have any you managed to find other people in Singapore who are keen (I tried La Salle and Nanyang Fine Arts Academy, as well as the Community Club websites, but couldn't find any clubs); if not, where did you set up your workshop, and how did you get the tools, etc?

Pls lemme know if you're interested in meeting up. Thanks!

chiupee
4th December 2009, 05:12 PM
hi guys! just joined the forum after stumbling upon it while searching for woodworking/powertools, and I'm glad to see there are some people that are also interested in woodworking, makes me feel less lonely haha :P

Unfortunately I don't have much to offer in terms of experience and advice, as I don't have many powertools, only a drill and electric router, mostly handtools and lots of elbow grease. I only ever made an electric guitar, and it was done in a common area outside of my apartment. Been looking for a shop to make my second one but can't seem to find anyone/place willing to have me.

If you guys are lookin for maple or ash, maybe you can try Kenwood Industries (62695433 look for Wendy) , I got mine from them for a lot cheaper than if I bought online. If anyone has cheaper sources of tonewoods please let me know!!

Tools wise I'm still searching for a place with good products with good prices, so far I've only come across one or the other, so if any of you have any good contacts/deals do let me know please! :) I just received my wood for my next guitar, so I'm out looking for a rotary tool and probably a jigsaw, I'll keep you guys posted if I find anything.

Meanwhile have fun and work safe! :)

rsser
4th December 2009, 06:06 PM
Welcome chiupee.

Have a wander around other parts of this forum: there's musical instrument making, timber, and power and hand tools. Lots of collective wisdom there to suck up.

artme
5th December 2009, 12:05 AM
G'day Chiupee and welcome to the workshop. Good to see you here!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Exsence
31st December 2009, 10:14 AM
Hi Guys,

Am I glad to find that I am not the only one living in Singapore interested in woodworking. I have been 6 years living here and have just bought a house. My darling wife has allowed me to convert one of the ground floor rooms to a workshop so I have my woodworking and other tools being shipped in from Australia. oh and some timber (exotic Australian species).

I had no idea it was so hard to find timber for joinery here - will follow up on Kenwood Industries today.

I agree with the members here - finding supplies and equipment is pretty difficult. There is a half decent tool and hardware store in the mall immediately behind Shaw CInemas on cnr Scotts and Orchard. A funny old place but at least some decent range of tools! (Not just cheap Chinese stuff).

So, where is there other sources of timber (other than going over to JB??) and tools?

Regards

Simon

Ed Reiss
31st December 2009, 12:36 PM
Well, just in one post we have 5 guys from Singapore...ain't this forum great or what? :2tsup: ...have a get-together and start a charter woodworking/turning club, get the word out and chances are that there will be others out there with the same interests.

Welcome to you all :U

hughie
31st December 2009, 03:15 PM
Hmm. timber in Singers, maybe your better off having a look across the causeway in Johore. I know they are cutting many if not all the old rubber trees down, synthetic rubber has killed the market.

Things have changed much since I lived there. The market in the old part of Chinatown, use to have several woodworking shops and you used to be able to get timber from them.

Christos
31st December 2009, 04:05 PM
It has been a long time from the start of the post to the end of the post but all the same wood workers.

I asked my sister to look for some tools in Singapore and she was not very good at locating anything as yet.

Anyhow Welcome to the forum.

Exsence
31st December 2009, 08:15 PM
Hi Guys and thanks for the welcomes.

I have just driven out to check out Kenwood. Wendy is very helpful. THey have a wide range of American and some Australian and European timbers. Even some ebony. And they will mould or mill it to whatever shape or section you require.

Remember however, the local timbers are NOT kiln dried and the timber does not require fumigation to get into Singers, so beware borers in the local timbers. Anyhow, prices seem not bad so wil ldefinitely use them and probably source fencing and other outdoor timber neds for my new home from them.

Take care and hapy hunting for tools. .

Regards

Simon

richardlbt
3rd January 2010, 04:36 AM
Welcome. Nice to find another woodworker in SGP

SingaporeWoody
23rd March 2010, 11:09 AM
I realize that this is an Australian site which to people like me in Singapore, a great blessing as Australia (and NZ) is closer to us than the US, UK, Canada or Europe where the concept of DIY and in particular woodworking thrives and from where hobbyists like me tend to get our supplies (spelt: EXPENSIVE due to shipping distance). Nevertheless in the absence of a local forum here, I think this forum is a great place for us to share notes and tips including local shopping tips. But I wish there were more followers in Singapore and perhaps we could grow into a local community here on the sideline of the Australian one.

I share the same frustrations as a number of S'pore members here. More than a decade (or was it 2?) ago there was HANDS at Upp. Bt. Timah where I remember you could saw purchased raw timber to your required dimension. HANDS is now history. All the existing "DIY" shops in S'pore, in my opinion, makes great mockery of the term "DIY", as compared to the fine stores in Australia. I very much drool over online webcatalogs of such Australian stores. At most, these "DIY" shops in S'pore should be called "spare parts and hardware stores" and that is already according them great dignity. They are all crap.

I embarked on wood working not long ago. Actually this had to do with my passion for building Tube Amps - I like using timber chassis and I have spent quite a lot getting material from Rocklers and eBay but this can't go on forever. I have also embarked on making electric guitars and the urgency of sourcing locally became even more evident. With due respect to the great stores in Australia where you can always be assured to get stuff you need, I would like to share a couple of local discoveries I made here in Singapore. Not much but it was a great start for me, and I hope S'pore members here could use these tips.

I have had Kenwood on my list for some time but have not tried them. I found another great raw timber supplier where you can get Ash, Beech, Chengal, Cherry, Maple, Merbau, Nyatoh, Oak, Teak and even Walnut! This is Yee Heng Teak Products - take a look at thier simple page: Yee Heng Teak Products (http://yhteak.blogspot.com/) For my guitar, I got Maple and Teak from them, all sawn and thicknessed to the main dimensions I required. The service is EXTREMELY good. Look for Amy who is co-owner (tell her that Eugene sent you!). Yee Heng Teak actually caters to DIYers! There are also others such as Hong Wen Hardware Timber and Kai Lim Builders Merchants: Kai Lim Builders Merchants (http://www.hardwareshop.com.sg/)

I was elated to have finally found the timer I needed. Then onto tools and machinery which was another nightmare for DIYers in S'pore. Yes I remember the shop at Scotts with extremely respectable range. But you really need somewhere more affordable. One place where ALL contractors go is: HOMELY Hardware Pte Ltd The Home of Hardware : Homely Trade - Homely Supply - Homely Wholesale (http://www.homely.com.sg/) They carry a HUGE selection of equipment for small and large needs. However do not expect too much for service, they don't even read their emails. But go down to their flagship store at Ubi, you won't regret it. Do note that they do not have ALL equipment but mainly what contractors would use - which is extremely good enough. I couldn't get a bandsaw from them but I found another haven for machinery at: ...:::World of Machinery:::... (http://www.huphong.com.sg/) which is located at Jalan Besar Plaza. Go pay them a visit and get their catalog book. Service is satisfactory for me. Take note that they do not open on weekends.

I provided their respective weblinks above in order that you may know their exact whereabouts and opening hours (except for Hup Hong which was not indicated online and I found out the hard way!) I have just bought a new house and I am so looking forward to using one of the bedrooms as my workshop! In the meantime I am gradually building up my database of such local retailers. My next mission would be making Hi-End speakers and I do need MDF - which is another great pain in S'pore - try getting some from Sg. Kadut and you will know what I mean.

Anyway, to all woodworking enthusiats here in Singapore, appreciate if you could keep in touch with me and let's try to build this community. You can mail me at [email protected]

Sincerely...n Cheers!!:wink:

richardlbt
24th March 2010, 01:05 AM
Hi, welcome.

If you need ply or MDF go down to Ban Heng Long Trading at Townshend Road very near Jalan besar plaza. They are able to provide ply of most thickness and MDF. They cut to your requirements. I get my toys.. oops tools mostly from that area. A couple of speciality shops like bolts/nuts, also a Stanley distributer there. Unfortunately still have not found anyone that carries Lie Nielsen. Put me on your list to get together email at [email protected]. There is another member on this forum Yin also into guiter making.

SingaporeWoody
24th March 2010, 01:10 AM
Hi and thanks for the tip Richard! One less problem for me with the MDF!
Sure, will keep in tight touch! Cheers!

WOODbTURNER
24th March 2010, 04:36 PM
Little Festo, who is a forum senior member told me he he going to Singapore mid year to show case woodturning for the Queensland Gov. PM him and he might tell you more about it. If he does go, make sure you see him as he is a v/g woodturner. Check out his previous posts to see his work.

Cheers

PS Peter I hope you don't mind. You can bash me tomorrow!

SingaporeWoody
25th March 2010, 05:11 PM
After deliberating with myself for quite some time, finally went down again to Hup Hong but this time came back with a bandsaw and a belt+disc sander. Take note that any lunch time purchases will be without service!! Had to hand-carry them to my car myself but they were not heavy though, just what I wanted - sturdy table top machines. Also do note that prices quoted are before 7% GST. Had a surprise there but the prices were still acceptable to me. And do remember to negotiate.Cheers!:2tsup:

turnerted
25th March 2010, 05:12 PM
I am sure you could pick up free green timber in Singapore if you keep your eyes open . You have huge street trees which must come down in storms occasionaly and I immagine your council workers must be just as happy as ours to have someone take some away for them . I travel to Singapore every so often as my wife comes from there and her sister still lives there . I remember drooling over a big log being cut up in Bt. Timar last time I was there.
Ted

SingaporeWoody
25th March 2010, 05:25 PM
Yes Ted, I drool the same too. Contemplated speaking with NParks workers to carry these logs into my car but never happened. Idea is not dead though, but I do not have any kild drying facility but I have seen a video made in the UK on how to do one with pieces of plywood, poly sheets and heaters. Thanks.

SingaporeWoody
25th March 2010, 05:46 PM
I meant "KILN" drying facility....:doh:

richardlbt
25th March 2010, 07:37 PM
I have some pine 'branches' :D. Dont think can call them logs haha. From christmas past, abt 7 or 8 since 1999. Should be very dry and stable? If any local woodie wants it let me know. Was thinking of using it years down the road for my walking stick hahh:p.

SingaporeWoody
12th April 2010, 04:46 PM
Guess everyone knows this already but what the heck - DO wear gloves when working. Guess I got complacent with my sander - especially one that has 2 rotating parts - horizontal belt sander with a vertical rotating disc sander (why on earth can't they put in place a switch to deactivate one or the other??). Was darn careless paying attention only to the belt and forgot the rotating one existed - AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!:((:((:((:((

By the way, can someone in Singapore tell me where to buy sanding belts from? I am looking for a 4" x 36" one......:?

richardlbt
17th April 2010, 01:09 PM
Hello Singapore Woodies,

I am planning to get some stuff from AUZ from CARBA-TEC - Woodworking Tools and Woodworking Machines (http://www.carbatec.com.au/). Router spiral upcut bits, dimond sharpening plate etc. Would any one like to join in to purchase from carbatec so we can share the shipping? I plan to order them by mid of May.

Cheers
Richard

Little Festo
17th April 2010, 07:03 PM
I recently joined the forum and see that there is quite a strong international contingent to the members listing. Unfortunately I do not see how you can sort the members list by "Location" to know who else in in your area or country. Any members in Singapore? I have been resident here for many years but never come across anyone with the same interest in woordworking or woodturning. I am a complete novice and still putting together my workshop but just the difficulty of finding good quality tools here suggests that it is not a popular pass-time.

I'll be in Singapore as part of a Tourisum Queensland Expo. I'll be there from the 1st to the 9th June. I'll have some turned and carved vessels and vases and some sculpted pieces as well. The expo is at Vivo City. Come a say hello to me and my mate Jeff. PM me if you like.

Peter

richardlbt
19th April 2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Peter.

Not a woodturner but keen to see you in action. See you at Vivo. Cheers.

Richard

SingaporeWoody
19th April 2010, 04:20 PM
Hello Singapore Woodies,

I am planning to get some stuff from AUZ from CARBA-TEC - Woodworking Tools and Woodworking Machines (http://www.carbatec.com.au/). Router spiral upcut bits, dimond sharpening plate etc. Would any one like to join in to purchase from carbatec so we can share the shipping? I plan to order them by mid of May.

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard, I wonder if you were referring to my nick of woodies in general !! LOL :D
Anyway I realized that the suff from Carba-Tec is pretty steep in price. Was looking for some spokeshaves, rasps and bench vise but OMG....thanks a million ofr the offer but will pass. Out of curiosity, I suppose that the way to share shipping in pooled orders is by proportionment to weight? Cheers...

rsser
19th April 2010, 05:10 PM
Parcels in Aus, and I'd expect outbound too, are calculated by a combo of weight and volume.

Little Festo
19th April 2010, 06:55 PM
Hi Peter.

Not a woodturner but keen to see you in action. See you at Vivo. Cheers.

Richard

Hello Richard,

Be glad to see you and have a chat. Unfortunatly I won't be turning, cannot take a lathe over but will have lots of turnings to show you. Will shout you a coffee!!

Peter

richardlbt
19th April 2010, 09:31 PM
Hi Richard, I wonder if you were referring to my nick of woodies in general !! LOL :D
Anyway I realized that the suff from Carba-Tec is pretty steep in price. Was looking for some spokeshaves, rasps and bench vise but OMG....thanks a million ofr the offer but will pass. Out of curiosity, I suppose that the way to share shipping in pooled orders is by proportionment to weight? Cheers...

Haha.. forgot that you had that nick. Was refering to any one in SGP. Yup but somethings i just cannot find in Singapore. I can point you to some bench vice,spookshave and rasp. Anyone know where i can pick up some Diamond lapping plate and upcut router bits 1/2 in??
Did not really think abt how. Prob by weight.

richardlbt
19th April 2010, 09:32 PM
Hello Richard,

Be glad to see you and have a chat. Unfortunatly I won't be turning, cannot take a lathe over but will have lots of turnings to show you. Will shout you a coffee!!

Peter

Sure thing.

Cheers

STAR
19th April 2010, 09:57 PM
Great to see some Singapore Woodies on here. About 12 to 18 months ago I asked on this forum about what DIY was like in Singapore as my daughter flys their regularly.

Unfortunately my research turned up a pretty poor response as it appears DIY etc are not big there, infact they are less then small. Their was one particular woodworker from there that gave me a little bit of information but he confirmed that it was a nightmare trying to do his hobby there as tools of even a fair quality were non existent not like the electronic industery which is huge.

I will have to check back through the archives to see if I can find those posts and hopefully I can pass his name on to you as another enthusiast.

The information you guys have put on here is a lot more then I got but fortunately my daughter had a few trips to the USA and I was able to get quite a bit of small items from Woodcraft. However those trips have dried up now so its back to Singapore and India with a few Hong Kong trips as well.

I will do a research and hopefully post tomorrow the person's name fropm Singapore.

Peter

Little Festo
25th April 2010, 09:39 PM
A few piccies on some of the stuff I'm still working on, I'll have at the expo.

The first piece is very thin and this was after the first oiling, will get several more.

The second has had 3-4 oilings, will get a few more. Both of these pieces are Norfolk island pine.

The third piece is a large Golden Chain natural edge bowl, approx 400mm in diameter. Was a bit challenging at times.

Peter

richardlbt
28th April 2010, 01:47 PM
A few piccies on some of the stuff I'm still working on, I'll have at the expo.

The first piece is very thin and this was after the first oiling, will get several more.

The second has had 3-4 oilings, will get a few more. Both of these pieces are Norfolk island pine.

The third piece is a large Golden Chain natural edge bowl, approx 400mm in diameter. Was a bit challenging at times.

Peter

Very nice. Do you plan to sell them or are they only for the show?

Cheers

Richard

richardlbt
28th April 2010, 02:03 PM
Hi, There is this place that sells tools and stuff. Mostly you will find contractors there buying supplies.The co is called Viborg trading. They have 2 locations. One at Northlink Building along Admiralty St and the other at 277 Kranji Road. At both these locations, there are other shops selling tools and stuff. At Northlink you can get Ply wood, acrylic sheets, veneers. Unfortunatelly its the whole sheet of 8ft by 4 ft. At Kranji there is also a shop selling paints and finishes like lacquor and waxes. They have water based varnish.
Singapore woodie you should be able to get your rasps and vices there. BTW wood bench vice or engineers vice.. anyway think i saw both. If not the handyman store at scotts has. think its around $150.

Cheers

Richard

Little Festo
28th April 2010, 07:14 PM
Very nice. Do you plan to sell them or are they only for the show?

Cheers

Richard

Hello Richard,

They will be on sale. Have packed 40+ pieces. Have been madly turning the last few weeks, watching tele at night polishing and oiling.

Peter

richardlbt
28th April 2010, 08:11 PM
Hello Richard,

They will be on sale. Have packed 40+ pieces. Have been madly turning the last few weeks, watching tele at night polishing and oiling.

Peter
Hi Peter,

Do you mind if i used the pictures u posted earlier of the two translucent bowls. Would like to put it on my facebook to let some friends know.

Cheers

Little Festo
28th April 2010, 11:31 PM
Hi Peter,

Do you mind if i used the pictures u posted earlier of the two translucent bowls. Would like to put it on my facebook to let some friends know.

Cheers

No problems. Have a look at my album here. I'll be taking some fluted and carved bowls/forms too.

Peter

Ozkaban
29th April 2010, 10:28 AM
Hi,

Well, we can add one more to the list of Singapore woodworkers... at least until next weekend. Work has shipped me over here to do some consulting gig. First time outside of Auz/NZ too :cool:

I'll have a weekend to poke around, and I think there's plenty to do. Gotta get this work stuff out of the way first :D

Hotel is rather nice, but no shed :whatonearth:
Cheers,
Dave

richardlbt
29th April 2010, 01:28 PM
Welcome to SGP :)

RETIRED
29th April 2010, 06:55 PM
Hi,

Well, we can add one more to the list of Singapore woodworkers... at least until next weekend. Work has shipped me over here to do some consulting gig. First time outside of Auz/NZ too :cool:

I'll have a weekend to poke around, and I think there's plenty to do. Gotta get this work stuff out of the way first :D

Hotel is rather nice, but no shed :whatonearth:
Cheers,
DaveCheck out the zoo (particularly the aquatic section at feed time) and (I think) Ming Dynasty.

Ozkaban
29th April 2010, 07:54 PM
Welcome to SGP :)

thanks! Just had the scariest taxi ride of my life (have learnt to wait for the Hyundai cabs, not the old Toyota Crown ones :no: ), and had the yummiest and cheapest lunch :2tsup: I also now know what Kickapoo Joy Juice is :o

Check out the zoo (particularly the aquatic section at feed time) and (I think) Ming Dynasty.

Thanks - heading to the night zoo on Monday night I think. Have to work out the weekend - lots of things to get through. The density of retail malls in this place is second to none :cool:

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
6th May 2010, 08:58 PM
My Singapore adventure is now all but over. Sitting in the airport departure lounge surfing on FREE wireless. Are you listening, Sydney Airport and Mac Bank??? (sorry for mini-rant) Anyway, all SGD spent, bag seriously over stuffed with trinkets for others (including a Canon EOS 550D DLSR for me :;). The other cool thing about the airport is that I caught the metro system from Buona Vista - a 45 minute run. It cost me $1.67 SGD. That's about $1.33 AUS. Compared to the cost to get to Syd airport on the train (or anyway for that matter)...

Anyway, looking forward to getting home and seeing the family. Also looking forward to the temperature dropping below 27 deg at night and 35 during the day :D

Maybe I'll turn a pen tomorrow just to get back into the shed. Then again, since I'm landing at 5am and I can't sleep on planes, maybe I'd better stay away from the lathe all together:o

Oh, the highlight for me here was the botanic gardens. Went for a 7km run at 6:30am (still hot then, btw!) through the gardens and the bird sounds were so nice I turned off the ipod and just listened to nature. Truly a wonderful experience. I went back the next day at a more leisurely pace and went through the Orchid garden which was also beautiful.

Cheers,
Dave

Little Festo
25th May 2010, 07:19 PM
I will be in Singapore next week - at Vivo City. I hope all of you local woodturners drop in for a coffee and a chat. I will be t the "Best Of Queensland" expo from Monday (setting up -mid morning) 1st of June till the 6th. Come and critique my work - be pleased to see you.

Peter - The Woodturner

Ozkaban
26th May 2010, 03:48 PM
Vivo City is a fair sized shopping mall :o

The subway runs right into it and it costs next to nothing to get to other areas. A cab ride up to the Singapore Flyer costs about $8 each way. If you do that, check out the new casino (actually, just the building - it's amazing!)

cheers,
Dave

SingaporeWoody
13th July 2010, 11:15 PM
Hi, There is this place that sells tools and stuff. Mostly you will find contractors there buying supplies.The co is called Viborg trading. They have 2 locations. One at Northlink Building along Admiralty St and the other at 277 Kranji Road. At both these locations, there are other shops selling tools and stuff. At Northlink you can get Ply wood, acrylic sheets, veneers. Unfortunatelly its the whole sheet of 8ft by 4 ft. At Kranji there is also a shop selling paints and finishes like lacquor and waxes. They have water based varnish.
Singapore woodie you should be able to get your rasps and vices there. BTW wood bench vice or engineers vice.. anyway think i saw both. If not the handyman store at scotts has. think its around $150.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard, sorry for this extremely late reply. Had been away for a while, I mean away from this forum but work on the guitar continues, very slowly, at my leisure. Heck, had a very minor heart attack this morning and just discharged. Need to take life r e a l s l o w l y.......and the guitar helps to distress a lot! I managed to get a lot of stuff I need from Homely who carries more and more items every month. Checkout their series of bandsaws and drills....

SingaporeWoody
13th July 2010, 11:20 PM

Cheers

Richard

And thanks for the tip Richard, will check Viborg out ! Btw, I managed to find that shop near Jln Besar that to my amazement supplies MDF boards of ALL thicknesses including the elusive 3mm ones! Next speaker project coming up !!! Cheers!

hughie
13th July 2010, 11:37 PM
thanks! Just had the scariest taxi ride of my life (have learnt to wait for the Hyundai cabs, not the old Toyota Crown ones :no: ), and had the yummiest and cheapest lunch :2tsup: I also now know what Kickapoo Joy Juice is :o

Dave Singapore taxis are rather sedate compared with most other parts of South East Asia.. Have a go at Manila some time :U .
The benefits are they have some very nice timber for turning in the Phils. :2tsup: Will over that way in the New year plan to have a good look around for some.

richardlbt
15th July 2010, 04:00 AM
Glad to her that you are out. Take it easy. Been to homely am looking for a bandsaw. Still looking may settle for a basato 3. Yup the shop does a lot of ply, not the cheapest but they cut to your requirements. If u want full sheets 4X8 ft then its better to get them elsewhere. Been looking for compressor, nailer, spray gun and bench drill.... sigh so many tools so little time.

Cheers and take it easy

Richard

Hi Richard, sorry for this extremely late reply. Had been away for a while, I mean away from this forum but work on the guitar continues, very slowly, at my leisure. Heck, had a very minor heart attack this morning and just discharged. Need to take life r e a l s l o w l y.......and the guitar helps to distress a lot! I managed to get a lot of stuff I need from Homely who carries more and more items every month. Checkout their series of bandsaws and drills....

shycho
28th July 2010, 01:34 AM
Hello woodworkers this is Sophia here.
It's not that I'm lookging for other woodworkers in Singapore, since I myself am not a woodworker,
but I'm replying to this thread since I need help with several things.

Does anyone here know any furniture makers in Singapore, or a kind of workshop directory?
I'm not really knowledged in these things, and am looking for some help here (:
Since I'm trying to re-design my bedroom, I'm looking for someone or people that could build me a bed divan.
I also need some help with painting several stuff in my room white.

If any of you guys here are interested, you could first mail me to [email protected],
and we could talk about the price and all that after I know your availabilities.

I'd really appreciate some help. I've been looking for a workshop for so long, but can't seem to find any on my own.
I just somehow got lucky and found this forum with people here in Singapore, and was so excited heheh.

lsvop
29th August 2010, 03:32 AM
At last...great minds think alike. I'm new to wood working. Trying to renovate my belcony to turn it into a workshop next month. would love to meet up with fellow woodworkers.

richardlbt
29th August 2010, 04:59 AM
Hi Isvop

Welcome to the forum.

Great bunch of people here. Lots to learn.

Cheers

richardlbt
14th October 2010, 03:28 PM
Hi all woodworkers in Singapore.

Anyone know where i can rent a floor sander? Just completed a 16sq m of floor with a ROS and it nearly killed me.

Thanks

Richard

Xenophon
26th October 2010, 03:14 AM
Hi all woodworkers in Singapore.

Anyone know where i can rent a floor sander? Just completed a 16sq m of floor with a ROS and it nearly killed me.

Thanks

Richard

Hi richard,

couldnt you get one from homefix or something? i know they're a little small but i mean better than nothing yeah?

To all,

I've finally found a website where singaporeans are interested in woodworking!!! I must say, it's been a long time searching!
I am very interested in getting my own scroller for a start. looking at the DeWelt DW788. Called the distributor of DeWelt and they told me that they do not ship the model into sg. :( Asked if they could do a personal indentment for me and got a big thumbs down from them citing reasons that they are unable to service it or give out a warranty. Horrible Service.

Any shops to recommend so i could get a DW788 or other reliable brands of scroll saws?

Cheers,
Freddie

richardlbt
26th October 2010, 02:09 PM
Hi Xenophon,

Been to homefix as well. They don't have floor sanders. Any way their stuff are way too expensive. I get my stuff elsewhere. I got my ROS (random orbital sander) from a shop in Jalan Bersar dealing only in Bosch stuff for about $50 below what the homefix is selling.

You are right about the stuff that the distributor don't carry. I've once asked about a biscuit jointer from Dewalt and got a similar reply. If the distributor dosent have it none of the shops would have them. You could buy it from Auz or UK and ship it here. Freight cost a bomb.

You can try Hup Hong at kitchener rd. They would have scroll saws. They do carry the Scheppach brand. If not give this guy a call. Names Raymond Seow 93893580 shop at rowell road block 642. Very helpful. Though you may need to bargain the price down a little.

Cheers

Xenophon
26th October 2010, 11:57 PM
Hi Xenophon,

Been to homefix as well. They don't have floor sanders. Any way their stuff are way too expensive. I get my stuff elsewhere. I got my ROS (random orbital sander) from a shop in Jalan Bersar dealing only in Bosch stuff for about $50 below what the homefix is selling.

You are right about the stuff that the distributor don't carry. I've once asked about a biscuit jointer from Dewalt and got a similar reply. If the distributor dosent have it none of the shops would have them. You could buy it from Auz or UK and ship it here. Freight cost a bomb.

You can try Hup Hong at kitchener rd. They would have scroll saws. They do carry the Scheppach brand. If not give this guy a call. Names Raymond Seow 93893580 shop at rowell road block 642. Very helpful. Though you may need to bargain the price down a little.

Cheers

Wow hey hey thanks! I've finally got a lead. Know any good brands that Hup Hong carries that are good and worth checking out? wouldn't want a scrollsaw that breaks down often and changes blades easily.

Should have gotten my jigsaw from other places other than homefix. :doh:

NTUC charged $40 more on the Black andDecker jigsaw that homefix was selling! Rip off.

richardlbt
27th October 2010, 12:11 AM
Hi,

Dont know about scrollsaw but Scheppach brand which they do carry is from Germany. I believe their bandsaw got good reviews.
You can look at their web page ...:::World of Machinery:::... (http://www.huphong.com.sg). Also try homely hardware. They do also carry machinery. If u dont mind the distance Viborg trading sell tools and other stuff. They are located at kranji and admiralty.

Cheers

Xenophon
17th November 2010, 11:13 PM
Hi all,

recently made a few purchases, proxxon scroll saw, buffer and grinding machine and a cheap miter saw (Really miniature).

However i ordered a Jet Mini Lathe JML 1014 from woodcraft.com.

Is there anything to look out for when buying a voltage converter?

Voltage of Lathe : 115v
Current : 5A

so im guessing wattage is 115 * 5 = 575W.

Recently got a 800w voltage converter from HomeFix. Think it'll work fine?

Cheers,
Freddie

WOODbTURNER
18th November 2010, 12:15 PM
Freddie,

Did you price a JML 1014 Jet from Australia? Just curious as the Woodcraft and Australian prices are pretty much the same. I don't know what the postage diff would be though. The reasoning is that Singapore and Australia use the same power (220-240v) and you wouldn't have to use a transformer for it and other power tools bought from Australia.

Jeff

pound
22nd September 2011, 05:49 PM
hi glad i found this forum and this thread. hope to start work on a new project soon. As many had said, woodworking is not much of a hobby here. I last did basic woodwork 20 yrs ago in secondary school :)

not much tools yet. basically my project is to make a box so i will slowly figure out what are the essential tools that I need.

lsvop
25th December 2012, 11:31 PM
Hello everybody! Merry Christmas! Are the Singapore woodworkers still around? We should meet up or we'll forever be lonely.

My blog is Greene and Greene Quality Furniture (http://lsvop.wordpress.com/) Do check it out and give me your comments.

Happy Holidays!!

Jonzjob
26th December 2012, 10:39 PM
A slightly late Merry Christmas from me too all you guys, and galls, in S/pore!! I was stationed there with the R.A.F. for 2 1/2 years back in the late 60s and from what I have seen and heard it's changed slightly since then:o The newest hotel then was The Malasia at the top end of Orchard Road!!!

I lived, most of the time, in Sembawang Hills Estate with 6 months at Changi and 2 years at Tengah and had a wonderful time. I have to admit that I wasn't toooo interested in wood turning then. Far too much other stuff going on. I've had a look on google Earth and actually managed to recognise a couple of places..

lsvop
27th December 2012, 12:33 PM
See that you've reloacated to France. I hoped you enjoyed your tour in Singapore. You were here even before I was born....

Jonzjob
27th December 2012, 06:47 PM
I had a fantastic time there and one of the things we did was to watch the sunrise from Booge Street a couple of times a year. I don't think it's there now, at least not as it used to be. All the best loking females were blokes, cow-tows the Chinese used to call them, transvestites. The food was fantastic and it was the biggest outdoor restaurant on the island!! I had a 1946 MGTC at the time..

Now, as you point out, a nice 'quiet' retirement here in a beautiful part of France and a similar problem as you S/pore guys. Bloody difficult to get hopld of any decient wood. I haven't even found anywhere that sells it. There are a couple of sawmills about 25 miles south and I have to get down there to see what they have? It really is difficult living in the biggest vineyard in the world too. All this wine and so little time :D

lsvop
27th December 2012, 09:56 PM
I had a fantastic time there and one of the things we did was to watch the sunrise from Booge Street a couple of times a year. I don't think it's there now, at least not as it used to be. All the best loking females were blokes, cow-tows the Chinese used to call them, transvestites. The food was fantastic and it was the biggest outdoor restaurant on the island!! I had a 1946 MGTC at the time..

Now, as you point out, a nice 'quiet' retirement here in a beautiful part of France and a similar problem as you S/pore guys. Bloody difficult to get hopld of any decient wood. I haven't even found anywhere that sells it. There are a couple of sawmills about 25 miles south and I have to get down there to see what they have? It really is difficult living in the biggest vineyard in the world too. All this wine and so little time :D

I think you meant Bugis street. The transvestities are long gone. Now there's malls, lots of students hanging out, and in a near by Rochor Centre, there's a shop selling Bosch tools at a fairly good price. Patronised it once only, not because its not good, but its just out of the way for me, and the traffic and parking here is terrible.

I just got a few 6" x1" x 10' Burmese teak for $225 each. Good wood is bloody expensive. Wonder if anyone here knows where I can get Indonesian teak. Heard that it's cheaper.

I'm thinking of retiring in Australia. Enjoying the nice weather, great people and lots of woodworking. Maybe grow my own fruits and vegetables as well. But for now, its about putting food on the table and bring up kids. And if luck allows, maybe set up a business doing Greene and Greene furniture.

Sonic69
6th June 2013, 04:00 PM
Hi all,

recently made a few purchases, proxxon scroll saw, buffer and grinding machine and a cheap miter saw (Really miniature).

However i ordered a Jet Mini Lathe JML 1014 from woodcraft.com.

Is there anything to look out for when buying a voltage converter?

Voltage of Lathe : 115v
Current : 5A

so im guessing wattage is 115 * 5 = 575W.

Recently got a 800w voltage converter from HomeFix. Think it'll work fine?

Cheers,
Freddie

Hello! I was just researching about buying a lathe in Singapore and stumbled across this forum.
I am thinking about doing some pen turning and other small projects on a lathe and also researched this lathe among others. Are you still using it?

A g'day to you all!

Sonic69

qq4746
22nd January 2014, 06:27 PM
hi All:

nice to know still got woodworking friends here. anyone who is still doing some woodwork now, can email me [email protected]

happy new year all.

Eric

Portageek
10th February 2014, 01:18 AM
Good day everyone,

Im new here in the forum and I'm also from Singapore. Been a fan of woodworking for many years now but never got really active till a couple of years back. Came across this thread when I tried searching for "wood workshops for rent in singapore".

I am hoping to get to know more woodworking lovers in Sg and gain more experience as well... :)

Cheers

Portageek ( Nigel)

Christos
10th February 2014, 07:57 PM
Portageek; Welcome to the forum. It is an old thread but you are now part of the internet wood working community. So continue to come back and feel free to post your thoughts or questions.

kodaline
28th September 2014, 02:28 PM
Hi guys,

New to this forum. I am looking for a jet lathe and was wondering if there is anyone here who knows where I can source one locally. I have a wood workshop in Kaki Bukit and it is a relatively well equipped shop. Recently I've been interested in woodturning and I was thinking of getting a lathe and some turning tools to start some turning projects I have in mind.

If there are any woodworkers in Singapore who needs access to a workshop to work on some projects please feel free to contact me by email, planeandbevel(at)gmail(dot)com. I would love to have like minded people to talk to. I have a tablesaw, bandsaw, router table, a 12" thicknesser and hand tools of course.

Koda

qq4746
17th June 2015, 01:52 PM

You posted in 2008, It has been so many years. Are you still in Singapore? or already move out?

send me a reply if you still remember this post. thanks.