PDA

View Full Version : Pen swap 2008 International photographs

Simomatra
13th January 2008, 09:09 AM
This is the place to put your completed pictures:2tsup:

Dangermouse
11th February 2008, 10:37 AM
Photo time! :photo2:

Mark recieved my package on saturday (the efficiency of Australia Post was a bit of a surprise!), and his parcel was in my letterbox this morning :cool:.
Opened up the box over breakfast - :omg:. Sweeettt!

Couldnt wait to post the pics - what a cool pen!!! :cool::2tsup:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67024&stc=1&d=1202686101

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67025&stc=1&d=1202686101

In the words of a famous Australian - that's goin' *straight* to the pool room!!! :)

Thanks Mark, great work! :2tsup:

glenn_mcculloug
11th February 2008, 02:11 PM
OOOOH! That is ... Stunning:o...lets hear more about it.

Matt88s
11th February 2008, 04:53 PM
Well thats starting things off with a bang. :oo:

Simomatra
11th February 2008, 05:15 PM
Very Nice start to the swap Dm you will be pleased, Well done Mark.:2tsup:

NewLondon88
14th February 2008, 01:51 AM
Stunning!

corbs
15th February 2008, 03:26 PM
Look what I got in the mail today:2tsup::2tsup:. My partner wasn't a member when the swap started but has since joined. I won't put a picture of the pen I sent until it has been received. I also got quite a few bits of wood that will make some fantastic pens:2tsup::2tsup:. Sam you have done a brilliant job getting this up and running... when's the next one?

Corbs

Forgot to add, the pen is Western Chokecherry burl:doh: (Prunus virginiana var. demissa)

Ligget
16th February 2008, 04:08 AM
Sorry, not been here for a few days, thanks Dave for posting a pic of the snakeskin Baron I sent you, I will get a pic of yours up soon as poss!:D

PenTurner
16th February 2008, 09:09 PM
Mark that is one quality pen, love it. Dave, hope you locked the door to the "pool" room!:rolleyes::)Amos

PenTurner
20th February 2008, 10:39 AM
I received my pen yesterday from Glenn,:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Thank you Glenn, it is a Jr Retro rhodium rollerball, he modified the post end making it a closed end model. The wood is stabilized yellow dyed box elder burl finished in lacquer, the black sections are acrylic. I am trying to figure out how the cap end is put together because of the shape. I love it and treasure it! Too scared to put in my work pocket lest it fall out.
Tonight, I will take some photos of my own and add them on this thread.
Meanwhile there is one happy pen turner here in Ferntree Gully!:)

Big Shed
20th February 2008, 01:52 PM
Amos, that is a very nice pen, very unusual design:2tsup:

glenn_mcculloug
20th February 2008, 02:31 PM
I received my pen yesterday from Glenn,:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Thank you Glenn, it is a Jr Retro rhodium rollerball, he modified the post end making it a closed end model. The wood is stabilized yellow dyed box elder burl finished in lacquer, the black sections are acrylic. I am trying to figure out how the cap end is put together because of the shape. I love it and treasure it! Too scared to put in my work pocket lest it fall out.
Tonight, I will take some photos of my own and add them on this thread.
Meanwhile there is one happy pen turner here in Ferntree Gully!:)

I am really glad that you like it Amos, it was fun to make. I told him that for a fleeting moment I had considered keeping it.
I, too received a pen from Amos. I was the lucky recipient of one of the fantastic instruments he posted last week. The best part was that I had a choice, he didnt. I got to choose from the plethera of Emperors that he made and I chose the cross cut Cocobolo fountain pen ( I prefer wood over acrylic). I must say it is one of the best fit and finishes I have seen, enticing me to return to the CA finish I had abandoned. The grain is superb and it writes like a dream, surely to make me the envy of others in my meetings each day. Attached are photos as a reminder of the quality work he does.

Big Shed
20th February 2008, 03:03 PM
You're a very lucky boy Glenn, that is a seriously nice looking pen.:2tsup:

If it writes as nice as the Churchill fountain pen that Amos gave me, it will be an absolute delight to use.

PenTurner
20th February 2008, 05:28 PM
These are the pitures I have taken , the other ones were taken by Glenn. I love it!:):):2tsup::2tsup:Amos,Thanks again Glenn.

ss_11000
20th February 2008, 05:48 PM
thats a very interesting pen you made glenn.

corbs
21st February 2008, 06:28 PM
After seeing some of the pens that have changed hands I think I will need to step it up a little next time:-... but George has received my pen so I can now post a couple of pics of it. I didn't take a photo of it by itself so the one I sent was the Red Mallee in Black Ti (the other two are Gidgee in Chrome & Yellow Mallee Burl in Gold). Finish on all three is Rustins plastic finish.

Corbs

PenTurner
21st February 2008, 09:22 PM
Corbs that is a great looking pen, I am having all sorts of trouble trying to use Rustin's, looks like you have got that finish down pat. Amos:2tsup:

glenn_mcculloug
21st February 2008, 11:19 PM
Corbs,
George is a lucky guy. They are very nicely done, the red mallee burl on the blk tn is stunning and more special as it is a gift. How does the Rustins hold up for you? It sure seems to be a fine finish.

corbs
22nd February 2008, 08:50 AM
Amos & Glen,
I had a good run with the Rustins but the last batch I made didn't cure properly. I think I know what I did wrong as the next batch worked fine. I was also using a cheap brush to apply but got a good small craft brush yesterday so will see if that helps the end product too. I do the tutorial exactly as Froggie details and have no problems, four coats & 48hrs to cure. I am thinking of doing more coats on curved barrels though as I have a tendency to sand through the finish:-.

Cheers,
Corbs

Simomatra
23rd February 2008, 08:14 AM
Very nice Corb's you and George have had a sucessful swap with all pens being very nice

I hope you both enjoyed the experience

mick61
23rd February 2008, 06:44 PM
G`day I have mine Celt 40 has sent me a very nice pen, a roller ball out of english elm burl which I am very happy with I will post pics of the pen I sent when Dermot lets me know Its arrived.
Mick:D

BernieP
26th February 2008, 07:04 PM
G'Day All

I received a nice surprise this morning from Plomanto. Boy what a pen have often envyed some of the pens on this forum, and now I own one yahoo! Have never owned a fountain pen so you will imagine how I will treasure it. Arrived in a very nice black bag in wooden case. Now I'm afraid I can go nowhere near this in return. Have posted a couple of pics of the pen he sent but will let him tell you all about it.

Cheers
Bernie

Touchwood
26th February 2008, 08:56 PM
The pen's in the mail!!!!

My pen is on it's way to the US of A to Louisbry - having never sent anything that far hope it gets there safely.

JD

plomanto
27th February 2008, 12:23 AM
I am glad it made it to you Bernie.
The wood is Black Palm the kit is a Black Classic from PSI the finish is Friction polish.
Unfortunately I made this pen before I started doing CA finishes..

PS. I sent it USPS and it took 7 days to get to Bernie . Thats pretty Sweet for under $6 postage

Penpal
27th February 2008, 06:08 PM
Pen arrived today sent a month ago.Everything is Ebony the top carved in a village in Africa,I carved the centre out by hand with a dremel,the centre of the top was fluted so I filled it with Ebony ground in a Coffee Grinder(hand operated) shaped the area with a rope pattern.The top is an exquisite Wart Hog with lots of detail you cant see in my pics,made the rest in Ebony,two days work,worth every minute.Kenya where the carved half comes from is locked in civil war right now.It is his official desk pen now.

Lots of fun Peter:2tsup:

Matt88s
27th February 2008, 08:26 PM
As Peter has reported, the pen has arrived. :2tsup: I was starting to get a little nervous, I was afraid the postmaster might have a new pen. :o :U

Now I'm just hoping it doesn't take my package as long, surely not, perhaps it was just tax season that slowed them down.

Peter posted a few pics but I'm going to post a few more of this brilliant pen it in its new home, because such a neat pen deserves more photos. :U

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/003-11.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/022-8.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/020-6.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/026-8.jpg

My pen I'm afraid is not as neat or as creative, nor as perfect as I would have liked it to have been, but as far as pens go, it turned out ok I think. The wood is pretty, and it matches the kit well, so that much was a success at least.

That's as much as I'm going to say until it arrives and pics are posted. :)

This has been fun, I hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

Cheers everyone!
Thanks again Peter!

Matthew

mick61
29th February 2008, 09:35 PM
G`day My pen has arrived in scotland here it is Red Mallee with Brown Mallee band.

nfld steve
6th March 2008, 02:04 AM
WOW Guys!!!I just finished my pen for BDar,and feeling alittle sheepish,lol.
It turned out nice,but I havn't turn a great lot of pens yet,this is only my second rollerball classic elite.
Anyway,,BEAUTIFUL pen!!!And the carved top stimulates my imagination.
There's no limit to what a person can do with a pen kit is there?lol.
Well,it's my day in the workshop,the wife is off today,and I've no distractions,lol,my 6 year old son likes to "help" in the shop,lol.He's a great sander though,lol.
Talk to you guys later,I'm going to pm BDar,have a great day,Steve

Matt88s
7th March 2008, 02:52 AM
I received word from Peter today that the pen has arrived so...Picture Attack!! :oo:

:U

The pen is an Oklahoma Oak Burl on a Gold Cigar kit. The oak is native oak, red I think, harvested about 30 miles south of me. It is all finished off with several coats of CA, sanded down to 1500, and polished out with 3M t-cut. :2tsup:

This pen for some reason was not particularly photogenic, but here's the better of the ones I took. The weather was kind of spotty and I wanted to get it in the mail that day, so I rushed a bit, hence the hand holder and Seal in pic #4 and Hank in pic #2. Actually now that I'm looking I see bits of doggie everywhere. :roll:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/006-6.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/007-12.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/009-10.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/005-5.jpg

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2008, 01:34 PM
WOW, Matt! That combo would look really good on my deak... :;.

Oklahoma Oak Burl, eh? As has been oft said: "You sure got nice woods over that side of the pond..."

munruben
7th March 2008, 03:02 PM
Beautiful work Matt. How I envy all you guys who can turn such great pens. Fantastic.:2tsup:

Matt88s
8th March 2008, 05:37 PM
WOW, Matt! That combo would look really good on my deak... :;.

Oklahoma Oak Burl, eh? As has been oft said: "You sure got nice woods over that side of the pond..."

I know, you guys do have some nice woods on that side of the pond. :D

lol, I think we all envy the strange and exotic woods we see members in other countries post. Although this was a nice piece of oak, oak in itself is very common around here, it's used for all manner of things from pallets to flooring, nothing special and in times past I've actual disliked working with oak, its painfully hard, it smells like cat wee wee when you work with it, did I mention its hard as all get out? Very resilient wood. Now that I've been playing with some of the more burly bits though, I'm growing to really like it, it can have some outstanding depth, color, and pattern to it.

Some of this can probably be blamed on Oklahoma's bizarre weather. Just as of late we've had weather in the 70's, the next day 6" of snow, ice, day or two later, weather is in the 60's, stays there for a few days, bam, ice storm, then back to the 70's, then down into the 20's for a couple weeks. :C Poor trees. :no:

Thanks munruben, but I envy all those guys who can turn great pens too, I'm not quite one of them yet. :rolleyes:

funkychicken
8th March 2008, 09:15 PM
oak, its painfully hard, it smells like cat wee wee when you work with it, did I mention its hard as all get out?

You haven't used Ironbark or gidgee:rolleyes:

Big Shed
8th March 2008, 09:32 PM
You haven't used Ironbark or gidgee:rolleyes:

Just finished a jarrah pen for the swap, does that count?

funkychicken
8th March 2008, 09:36 PM
Just finished a jarrah pen for the swap, does that count?

Shhh... it's supposed to be a suprise for your partner

glenn_mcculloug
9th March 2008, 11:02 AM
Matt,
great Idea to give a local wood on a pen. I really like oak burl, many dont. Theres a happy recipient, I can tell.

Big Shed
9th March 2008, 01:07 PM
Received my pen from austin on Saturday, and a great pen it is:2tsup:

It is a Chrome Americana in Claro Walnut, a timber I had neither seen before or heard of.

It makes beautiful combination:2tsup: and I reckon ausitn has done a great job, particularly as he is, like me, a rank beginner.

Very happy with the pen austin, thanks

Will put up some pictures of the pen I made for ausitn when he has received, it will be leaving on Tuesday.

Mrs Woodpecker
10th March 2008, 08:43 AM
Cigar Man's camera is on the sick list, so he asked me to post both pics when the pens were received. I made him the Cigar from Beefwood (no pun intended there - it was a kit I had that I had not tried) and the one he made me is a Baron from Camphor Burl. We are both pleased with our efforts, and I know I am looking forward to another swap.

corbs
10th March 2008, 09:08 AM
Couple of nice pens there Mrs W... nice swap:2tsup:

Simomatra
10th March 2008, 09:45 AM
Wow!
The standard is very good of all pens so far

cigarman
10th March 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks for posting the pics Mrs Woodpecker. I was very happy with the pen I received except that now I have to order some of those kits to work with :U. The pen had a great finish and fit. It will be displayed with my other pen swap pens in a very promanate place.

Touchwood
11th March 2008, 12:42 AM

OK, here are the pens I sent for Louisbry and Mrs Louisbry.

They are Jarrah Burl (WA) and Red River Gum burl (VIC) - one from where I was born and one from where I live now.

To make up for the fact that the kits used (although I like them a lot) are NOT as flash as those I have seen others using :sorry:, I also sent a dozen other bits of local timber.

I have heard today that they have all arrived safely.

JD

funkychicken
13th March 2008, 09:36 PM
Huzzah! The package arrived!

Among the little fluffy packing things I found 2 cigar pens(1 wood, 1 acrylic), Alot of pen blanks etc. (I was expecting only a few:2tsup:) and to my suprise; A Rockler 4-in-1 Screwdriver Turning Kit:2tsup:

Many Thanks to Newlondon88

A very happy,
Funky C

Big Shed
13th March 2008, 09:46 PM
Looking good Funky C, you should be happy with that:2tsup:

schaf
15th March 2008, 06:35 AM
have I got a story, good and bad.

First the good NeWS.
My pen arrived from ken in the States. Boy, what a pen. It is a Stirling silver Churchill dressed in American Smoketree, a absolutely beautiful pen. I believe that you can see right through the grain and as you turn the pen the grain seems to move. The finish is CA ,and as you can guess ,it is brilliant. I have used CA but cannot get a finish like ken has done.
Ken,also included a Smoketree blank for me to try along with other blanks.
ken stated that the Smoketree only grows in two places it America,Alabana and Arkansas.
have a look at this.

Will start another thread for the bad news.

terry

schaf
15th March 2008, 06:58 AM
In the other post,I had good news,with my pen from Ken.
Now for the bad news.

My pen to Ken was also a Stirling Silver Churchill dressed in rose Myrtle burl from Tassie. The pen broke in transit. It was well packaged,bubble wrapped inside a hard plastic pen case and surrounded by other pen blanks.
I have read on other forums that this is the weak link on the Churchill pen and that they often break. Can only put this down to a change in air pressure during the flight to the States. Brett , Addictive pens, came to the rescue with a replacement part for me ( thanks Brett) and the part is now on its way to complete a rebuild.
What a saga. ken supplied a photo of the broken pen.

Regards Terry

plomanto
15th March 2008, 11:18 AM
Hey all
I received my pen from BernieP today and it was a very nice surprise Two very nice pens and three blanks:2tsup:.
The one on the left is Black She-oak
The one on the right the top is Flooded gum and the lower part is cam_?_ laurel ( I cant quite read the writing sorry)
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/plomanto/Pens/HPIM1988.jpg
Bernie also sent three nice pre-drilled blanks
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/plomanto/Pens/HPIM1990.jpg

Here is the entire set
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/plomanto/Pens/HPIM1989.jpg

I would like to say a big thank you to Bernie ! ! ! !
My wife has already tried to claim one of them :o
Also thank you to the forum for putting on the swap and allowing a newbie like my self to participate

Thank you
Peter

PS. Already looking forward to the next one

NewLondon88
15th March 2008, 11:34 AM
My pen arrived from ken in the States. Boy, what a pen. It is a Stirling silver Churchill dressed in American Smoketree, a absolutely beautiful pen.

Wow! that is stunning. Beautiful figuring .. nice finish.
I WANT ONE! :D

DJ’s Timber
15th March 2008, 12:53 PM
cam_?_ laurel ( I cant quite read the writing sorry)

Camphor Laurel is what you would be reading :2tsup:

ken6991
15th March 2008, 01:37 PM
Glad you like the pen Terry. Actually Smoketree grows all over but the burl only grows in those two areas. I do hope you use the extra Smoketree burl blanks on a special. It certainly deserves it. Good to hear you were able to source the part.:2tsup:

Thanks
Ken

Toomm99
16th March 2008, 05:49 AM
Here is the pen I received from Sam (Simomatra). It’s made from Emu Apple and has a great finish. This pen will get a lot of use. Sam also sent me some Australian wood that will be perfect for some new pens.
Thanks Sam for a wonderful experience.
Tom
Burlington, Ct. USA

glenn_mcculloug
16th March 2008, 11:47 PM
Nice pen, very elegant! some times less is more.

glenn_mcculloug
16th March 2008, 11:51 PM
In the other post,I had good news,with my pen from Ken.
Now for the bad news.

My pen to Ken was also a Stirling Silver Churchill dressed in rose Myrtle burl from Tassie. The pen broke in transit. It was well packaged,bubble wrapped inside a hard plastic pen case and surrounded by other pen blanks.
I have read on other forums that this is the weak link on the Churchill pen and that they often break. Can only put this down to a change in air pressure during the flight to the States. Brett , Addictive pens, came to the rescue with a replacement part for me ( thanks Brett) and the part is now on its way to complete a rebuild.
What a saga. ken supplied a photo of the broken pen.

Regards Terry

Terry,
'tis true what you say about the weak link. I have experienced many a broken thread in the same spot on that style, as well as the El Grande, Ligero, etc. Certainly not a back pocket pen! It is stunning, cant wait to see it back together again.
Glenn

Simomatra
17th March 2008, 03:05 PM
Here is the fabulous pen and some fantastic blanks, including one of his famous segmented blanks that I received from Tom.

Tom has done an absolutely fantastic job on the pen as there were several first for him

First time for PR and the first time using CA with BLO. I have done a few CA / BLO finishes and if this is a first from Tom then he has jumped straight to the top in my books

I look forward, when feeling a little better, to making some fine pens out of Tom's blanks

The pen was made from oak root from his local stump dump, wish we had that here. He has also used PR resin and coloured it with red russet dye.

Tom a big thank you, it will get a lot of use. I have been flashing it around lots since it arrived. Very glad to have you aboard and look forward to seeing you in the next swap

I would like to thank all those who have taken part and it is my belief that it has been a huge success, thank you one and all. It has been a pleasure to make all these new friends and see such remarkable work

Rippa
18th March 2008, 10:56 PM
It's here, I received my fabulous pen in a spectacular laser engraved box today from Nancy as well as a number of exotic pen blanks ( they are to me) only ever read about some of them or seen pens on this forum made out of some of the timbers. The pen is an American Flat-top Double twist made out of American Walnut. (Sam I believe you have one in the same timber) and pen case is suitably laser engraved as per photo. I now have enough blanks to keep me busy for a while all I need is some nice pen Kits to go with them.
I would like to say I have enjoyed this pen swap even if it was a bit nerve racking for a newbie. Thanks Sam and all others who helped. :2tsup:

Thanks again
Rippa

Simomatra
19th March 2008, 08:14 AM
G'day Brian

Yes I actually have two of those pens made by Nancy with my name laser engraved and a suitable box to match. I am very happy with mine as I take it you are. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Nancy you have done a great job again your box design is very nice. :2tsup:

Enjoy that nice stash of American timber you will make some great pens with them.:D:D

Rippa
19th March 2008, 12:14 PM
My Pen to Nancy has a arrived and she has asked me to post the photos I have on the forum. The pen is a Fancy cigar made out of Curly Jarrah with one coat of CA two coats EEE then finished with two coats Shellawax cream. The photos are the best I can produce.

Hi Sam,
Yes the pen and the engraved box are very nice and I am also over the moon with all the blanks

Rippa

Simomatra
19th March 2008, 01:06 PM
Very nice I am sure Nancy will treasure it with all her other swap pens:2tsup:

glenn_mcculloug
19th March 2008, 10:38 PM
My Pen to Nancy has a arrived and she has asked me to post the photos I have on the forum. The pen is a Fancy cigar made out of Curly Jarrah with one coat of CA two coats EEE then finished with two coats Shellawax cream. The photos are the best I can produce.

Hi Sam,
Yes the pen and the engraved box are very nice and I am also over the moon with all the blanks

Rippa
Ok, send the pen to me and I will photograph it for you. I only hope it doesnt get lost in the return mail.
Both pens are beautiful, Have fun with those blanks. I sure enjoy using that Australian wood... Like Christmas morning, huh?

Simomatra
21st March 2008, 09:52 AM
I received this from Nancy this morning.

Since I'm not a member at the forum and can't post, will you please post this for me?:

I'm not a member here, so I can't post, but I can surely read, and I've read the thread about the pen swap and admired all of the gorgeous pens that were swapped. First, I want to say to Brian that the pen he sent to me has been added to my treasure store of swapped pens, and it is absolutely gorgeous. He made my pen of curly Jarrah, and also sent me a blank so I can try one of my own---now to find just the right kit to use with it. Thank you to Sam (and to the rest of you members) for letting me be a part of this swap, and a great big THANK YOU to Brian for my new pen. It is being used, but sparingly. One of these days I hope to make the flight to Australia and see the wonderful sights I've only read about and seen in pictures. G'day, all. Throw another shrimp on the barbie for me, OK????

Thank you Nancy for joining in I am sure everyone enjoyed the swap.:2tsup::2tsup:

bdar
21st March 2008, 10:58 PM
Well got a pm from Al, Ciscokid, that he has recieved my package and he will be posting photos of the pens that I sent him. Al sent me a Gold Churchill Rollerball made from Pink Ivory and a Black TI Sierra made out of Curly Maple. Both of these pens have been put through the riggers of paperwork at my work place. They are a joy to use both of them. Thank you Al for both of the pens I have received.

Big Shed
22nd March 2008, 08:32 AM
Beautiful pens both, that curly maple is something else.

Well done Ciscokid, I can understand you're happy with them Bdar.

Simomatra
22nd March 2008, 09:25 AM
Wow! Cisco nice work. They are both really nice.:clap:

You have to be happy with them Darren?

ciscokid
22nd March 2008, 09:48 PM
And, here are the two I received from Bdar (Darren). The sterling silver Churchill is Tiger Myrtle from Tasmania and the Sierra is from a lovely piece of Brown Mallee Burl. The finish on these two pens is exceptional. The grain on the Sierra is extremely complex and it has been finished so that it looks to have great depth. No matter how hard I try, I have yet to master this finishing technique.
Along with the pens, Darren was nice enough to provide me with a very generous pile of turning blanks of some nice exotic timbers. I will try some of them this very weekend.
Thank you so much Darren for the pens and the timbers. :) Receiving the package was like Christmas in March.

bdar
22nd March 2008, 11:22 PM
Sam, yes I am very happy with the pens I have received from Al. They are great to use and I have been doing so at my work place. Al, thank you again for the pens and timber in an earlier package. My first Sedona is from some of your Bocote that you sent me.

Al don't be too harsh on yourself about finishing, it takes time to learn. My finish took a couple of years to master to get me to where I am now. You should be proud of the work you have done Al, because I know I am proud to use these as my daily pens and show people how lucky I was not only to receive one but two pens from you.

Enjoy the timber that I sent you and keep up the good work. You are an exceptional craftsman.
Darren

Simomatra
23rd March 2008, 09:18 AM
Very nice Al. Two Christmases in three months what a bonus.

Both lovely pens Darren I am sure Al will put them to good use.

The big bonus here is all the new Friends everyone has made

Darren I need to come up and take some lessons on this CA finish bit get one good one out of ten. I am doing something wrong.

PenTurner
30th March 2008, 12:08 PM
Terry(Schaff) I was looking at the beautiful pens made in this swap and saw your "bad news", This happened to me when a Churchill fell out of my pocket, I used CA to put it together again and it held very well. Sam, I seem to have similiar problems with CA finishes, some are ok but others are only mediocre, guess need more practice!! Amos:)

DJ’s Timber
30th March 2008, 02:34 PM
Got the word today that my swap partner has received their pen so without further ado, here is the pen I received, a Baron clad in dyed Box Elder Burl

70251 70252 70253

And the the one I did, a Sterling Silver Churchill clad in Ringed Gidgee.

70254 70255 70256 70258 70257

Fireman sam
31st March 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi every one
just letting you know that my pens have arrived at Jeff's place but i can not post any pictures as i stuffed the pictures up i did not check the pictures before i sent the pens sorry about that
thanks Andrew:?:?:?

ss_11000
1st April 2008, 12:12 AM
lutefisk and I are sending ours off this week.

Simomatra
1st April 2008, 08:10 AM
Hi every one
just letting you know that my pens have arrived at Jeff's place but i can not post any pictures as i stuffed the pictures up i did not check the pictures before i sent the pens sorry about that

I am sure if you let Jeff know he will post some pictures for you. I forgot to take pictures of mine and Tom sent me some.:2tsup:

Jeff in Indiana
4th April 2008, 03:37 AM
Hi every one

Spectacular work! The curl in these blanks is amazing .. and the finish is top-notch!

Wood types and styles :
cigar : black titanium with black wood timber
sierra : black titanium & platinum with beef wood timber

Andrew, thanks very much! And thanks to Sam for organizing and co-ordinating the swaps.

Big Shed
5th April 2008, 10:11 PM
My swap partner, Austin, has just advised me that the pens I sent him (on 14/3/08, so they took a while!) have arrived.

As Austin is not a member here, I have posted some pics of the pens, and the blanks I included with the parcel.

The kits are Perfect Fit, one is a ball point (parker refill) the other a pencil (Schmidt pencil insert 0.7mm). The advantage of the Perfect Fit is that they take both a Parker refill and a pencil in the same pen.

The Jarrah blanks were kindly sent to me, together with quite a few others, by Simomatra.

Thank you Sam for organising this pen swap, for motivating me to take part (even though I am still very much a novice), it has been a really enjoyable experience.

Simomatra
6th April 2008, 08:44 AM
Nice work Fred the Jarrah has come up a treat, Austin will be happy.

David Mitchell
9th April 2008, 09:53 PM
Today I recieved the pen Handryn made for me:):2tsup:

handyrn
10th April 2008, 03:29 PM
Today I went to the Post Office and picked up the lovely pen and box that David Mitchell made for me. He also sent me lots of wood that I have never seen or even heard of some of them. The pen is made of Blackwood. I have tried to post pictures of the pen and box, but I am picture posting disabled.:( I will try again, but I won't promise that it will work.
I would like to thank Sam for making this possible. It has made the world seem smaller and my community so much larger. I am new to pen turning and after seeing the amazing pens made by all of you I know that I will have to learn lots and turn many more pens before I measure up.
I am attending a Woodturner's Symposium in May in Utah. I am hoping to learn a lot and be able to share with many.
Thanks a lot for this pen swap.:wink:
Cindy