PDA

View Full Version : magnetic switch

robyn2839
15th January 2008, 11:56 PM
would it be possible to add a magnet-or remote switch to my lathe (nova 3000) i had a remote on the last two lathes both on the right, now with this one being in an awkward spot and on the left its hard to use ,so every time i want to turn the lathe off i turn the lights off instead because they are on the right also,any idea of cost also (approx) ..........bob

robyn2839
16th January 2008, 12:08 AM
this works -----------------------------this dont, well the other way round .........bob

robyn2839
16th January 2008, 12:14 AM
the switch on the nova is round the back of the motor, bloody awkward ,let alone in an emergency......bob

robutacion
16th January 2008, 03:50 AM
G'day Robyn2839,

Can you please take a clear picture of where the control switch on the Nova is located, and show us a pic from the control box open to view whats in it? please.
All lathe controls can be moved to where ever you want. On the ones with a single on/off switch, this process is easier. On the ones with other controls (dials, directional switches, on and off controls and possible others) are just a little more complicated. I believe if the controls on your nova 3000, are the same as the 1624-44, I can help to advise what to do.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

La truciolara
16th January 2008, 04:18 AM
That is a good idea, and so convenient, I have the magnetic box on all my Vicmarc lathes.
I think it is not that difficult to do, you just have to dismount the knobs and buy some wire as the connections will have to be longer. You put your magnet under a box and you plug in knobs and connections.

bsrlee
18th January 2008, 08:45 PM
One of this board's sponors - PWS - sell a DIY, prewired magnetic (no-volt) switch for router tables that should do what you want. Just plug your existing power cord into the box, bolt the box where ever you want it - left hand side, ceiling etc. As long as the switch on the lathe is not a no-volt type you can switch on from the left hand switch box. If it is a no-volt type then the left hand switch will only turn it off, and you have to turn it on with both switches in the right order.

robyn2839
18th January 2008, 10:10 PM
now i am confused ,if i can plug it in while turned on and it goes it should be ok ,is that right ?? .i will go and do that now. bob

robyn2839
18th January 2008, 10:20 PM
i just tested it and when i put plug in socket when switched on it starts, so that should work,any idea what the blue wire is , and would it be possible to get reverse? bob

Thunknker
19th January 2008, 12:39 AM
When the switch in my MC crapped out I bought a twist E-stop, an extra set of contacts, a small jiffy box and 2metres of 4core 1.5mil cable.
I mounted the switch on the lid after drilling a hole in the side for the cable & gland then joined the wires to the old switch ones.
A magnetron magnet is hot glued to the base & covered with felt, so it doesn't clang when it sticks to the bed.
All up cost me about 90bucks, but well worth it I think, especially when I am working on the other side of the bed.

robutacion
19th January 2008, 02:14 AM
G'day robyn2839

I didn't know that the Nova 3000, had no reverse.
There is one thing that I couldn't identify on your pics (please see pics bellow). I have added a pic from the Nova 1624-44 control switch, where you see what type of reverse switch they put on them.
If I was in your place, I would contact the factory, and find out if the motors used on the Nova 3000 can have a reverse switch, and if a complete control box same as the Nova 1624, can be connected to the Nova 3000 motor. If this is a affordable option, I would have it replaced by an proper electrician. This way, you could have that control box where you want to, with the reverse on it, knowing that was all proper Nova stuff!

Hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers
RBTCO

RETIRED
19th January 2008, 07:38 AM
Any competent electrician can fit a reverse switch. All my lathes have reverse.

The 3000 did not have reverse as standard.

robyn2839
19th January 2008, 12:03 PM
One of this board's sponors - PWS - sell a DIY, prewired magnetic (no-volt) switch for router tables that should do what you want. Just plug your existing power cord into the box, bolt the box where ever you want it - left hand side, ceiling etc. As long as the switch on the lathe is not a no-volt type you can switch on from the left hand switch box. If it is a no-volt type then the left hand switch will only turn it off, and you have to turn it on with both switches in the right order.

i have tried everywhere to find pws any help appreciated.bob

Big Shed
19th January 2008, 12:04 PM
i have tried everywhere to find pws any help appreciated.bob

PWS (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/index.htm)

robyn2839
19th January 2008, 12:13 PM
PWS (http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23071932-15306,00.html)

what has australian it news got to do with pws????

Big Shed
19th January 2008, 12:21 PM
what has australian it news got to do with pws????

oops, sorry about that, try it now.

Jim Carroll
19th January 2008, 01:10 PM
The motor supplied on the N3000 lathe is not a teknatool motor but a CMG motor sourced locally.

A reverse switch can be fitted by a capable electricain.

Th N1624 motor comes complete with the lathe from china and has the reversing switch as part of the package,

When fitting a reversing switch to the N3000 make sure there is an interlock supplied so you are unable to go from forward to reverse unless the motor is stopped.