PDA

View Full Version : Red Mallee Cap

Neal Addy
16th January 2008, 03:44 PM
G'Day, Y'all!

Turned this about a year ago. The fiery reds have deepened and mellowed over that time but it's still one of the most beautiful woods in the world IMO.

Thanks for peeking!

lubbing5cherubs
16th January 2008, 03:54 PM
gorgeous. very Nice Indeed

ss_11000
16th January 2008, 04:29 PM
awesome:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
16th January 2008, 04:38 PM
Very nice, the colour has mellowed nicely :2tsup:

Mrs Woodpecker
16th January 2008, 06:06 PM
Stunning !!! :2tsup::2tsup:
Regards,
Shirley

Simomatra
16th January 2008, 06:10 PM
Fantastic

Great looking piece :2tsup::2tsup:

artme
16th January 2008, 07:23 PM
Good old Mallee root. Hard to beat.:2tsup::2tsup:

slopech4
17th January 2008, 10:35 PM
That is a very nice piece, how did you finish it?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th January 2008, 11:48 PM
Dimensions?

It's a nice piece... but I'm wondering how it'd go with brass pen-trumpets mounted on each side?

(Sorry, can't help myself. :B)

Neal Addy
18th January 2008, 02:55 AM
Thanks, folks!

The dimensions are 7"x6-1/2"x2-1/4". Guess in cm's that's 17.7 x 16.5 x 5.7.

I'm wondering how it'd go with brass pen-trumpets mounted on each side?
That's an interesting thought. I've done a couple of desk accessories with these caps and sure like how they turn out.

Here's one. The posts in the back are business card holders. There's a rare earth magnet hidden under the hollow to capture paper clips.

ss_11000
18th January 2008, 01:37 PM
i like the desk set Neal:2tsup:

Martin xp
18th January 2008, 02:10 PM
I had a quick Google run on Mallee, learned something new! I love the Timber ..... could be a reason to emigrate to Aussie:D

Great Job Neal and thanks for sharing.

Martin

Neal Addy
18th January 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks, guys!

So how common is Mallee there in Oz? Does it grow on trees? :rolleyes:

Over here across the big pond we crave this stuff! Can't get enough of it.

fxst
18th January 2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks, guys!

So how common is Mallee there in Oz? Does it grow on trees? :rolleyes:

Over here across the big pond we crave this stuff! Can't get enough of it.

Mate down here in my part of Sth Oz its common as saltbush. Most mallee is a lignotuber(sp) ie the burl is the root and it can handle the bushfires good. After the fire has gone it usually resprouts after the next rains. In a stove it burns real hot and for quite a quite a while and is a major source of firewood here in Sth Oz. I go through the heap to find bits for pens ect and due to the dirt and small gravel in the root it tends to make it hard on bandsaw blades but as you see its worth it :D Sorry didn't want to make ya cry but thats the way it goes
Pete

SawDustSniffer
18th January 2008, 03:54 PM
um the good old days , sitting on the banks of the Murry burning a 6 foot high pile of mally stumps , :doh:

Neal Addy
18th January 2008, 03:59 PM
Aw man! I'm eatin' my heart out! :C

I've turned quite a few Oz woods but Mallee is one of the most dense I've worked with. I guess you are used to it, huh? (And please don't say "Yeah, we let the kids turn it." :oo:)

The only native wood I know of in our area that's this dense is Texas Ebony. It dulls tools real quick but MAN! does it take a polish. Here's an example. This has no finish other than a buffing.

fxst
18th January 2008, 06:00 PM
Aw man! I'm eatin' my heart out! :C

I've turned quite a few Oz woods but Mallee is one of the most dense I've worked with. I guess you are used to it, huh? (And please don't say "Yeah, we let the kids turn it." :oo:)

Yeh our kids get to practice their turning before we give them the good stuff to turn:D
Pete

rsser
19th January 2008, 04:59 PM
That TE bowl is a gem Neal.

And welcome.

Yeah, lots of Brown and Red Mallee Burl; AFAIK the name is a 'forest' type, not a species. Pretty stable.

If you think that stuff is hard then try some of our desert acacias. Like eg. Gidgee

FWIW I'd have done your RMB differently. The base overwhelms the bowl IMO. If the blank had allowed I'd have reversed the diameters. Just my 2c worth, which given the state of the stock market is a good deal more than last week ;-}

PenTurner
19th January 2008, 06:20 PM
Neal, very impressive, both the bowl and the Pen holder.! and the wood is always better over the pond! :rolleyes:we drool over your beautiful wood that you throw into the fire place and vice a versa:oo::). Welcome along, and our Aussie humour is just as good as our wood!!!:wink::)Amos(well, some of our wood!)

La truciolara
20th January 2008, 03:31 AM
What a beautifull piece of wood.
You did very well with it!