PDA

View Full Version : Floaties required for lathe!

TTIT
19th January 2008, 09:03 PM
Just been informed the Stubby might be swimming in the next 48 hours or so:C. Can't get it into the ute to get it to higher ground - at a 1/2 ton, I'm not about to try and put it in the ceiling with the photo albums either! :shrug:
Rain sux :~

Wood Butcher
19th January 2008, 09:12 PM
I just saw some images from around your way on the news a minute ago. Sux to hear but I hope at least you and the family will be ok.

ss_11000
19th January 2008, 09:14 PM
:oo::o:oo::o.

at least it weighs enough to not float away:cool:.

Big Shed
19th January 2008, 09:22 PM
Have you thought about removing the electric motor and electronics from your lathe and put them in the ceiling?

tea lady
19th January 2008, 09:24 PM
You mean they won't provide emergency levies to protect vital pieces of equipment?:oo:
Its the old proverb proved right again! It never rains, but it pours!! Look after yourself. We'll have a whip round after the damage is assessed and buy you a new tool. (Maybe a tape measure.:D:rolleyes:)

DavidG
19th January 2008, 09:33 PM
Remove the electronics and cover the remaining important bits with grease.
Hope all goes ok.

scooter
19th January 2008, 09:47 PM
Arr crap.

Edit: David G, I was thinking of Lanotec. Your idea is better. Wheel bearing grease.

Doubt Vern has the time right now.

Calm
19th January 2008, 09:54 PM
You could send it to sunny Ballarat i would be happy to look after it for you.:D:D

Ah a stubby (lathe) - one can only dream

On a serious note good luck and the best advice is above - try and keep the electrics dry.

TTIT
19th January 2008, 10:19 PM
Remove the electronics and cover the remaining important bits with grease.
Hope all goes ok.That's Plan A at the moment - gonna wait and see how things look in the morning with the river. 1st creek downstream of us is 16km wide at the moment, 2nd one has been over it's banks for a week and our dam (Fairbairn) started going over the spillway for only about the 3rd time in history this morning with record busting inflow to roll in from the catchment over the next few days - there's just nowhere for it to go - not looking good :C

RufflyRustic
19th January 2008, 11:03 PM
Good Luck Vern!!!!!

Wendy

powderpost
19th January 2008, 11:07 PM
Sincerely hope you are wrong Vern. One good thing of being on the Tablelands, If we get flooded out, Cairns is 1500 feet under water.
Jim

DavidG
20th January 2008, 12:11 AM
If any electronics get wet, flush out with rainwater and then spray with WD40 or equiv. Strip and check bearings.

If all bearings are well greased then they should be ok.

Protect the metal parts with grease or at least pour oil over everything to give short term protection.

If you can not get a motor out, wrap it in cloth as tightly as you can and soak it with oil.
Good luck.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2008, 12:33 AM
:fingerscrossed:

dai sensei
20th January 2008, 01:15 AM
All the best Vern. Make sure you and your family are safe, they are worth more and cannot be replaced, equipment can.

artme
20th January 2008, 07:18 AM
I know we needed:oo::oo::oo: rain but this is no longer funny,
Make sure you and family are OK.:):):)
Dismantle lathe and store parts where ever they will be out of water. Base and bed should be OK.
All the best.:2tsup::2tsup:

BernieP
20th January 2008, 08:58 AM
G'Day TTIT

Hope you and yours are ok, certainly thinking of you all.

Cheers
Bernie

ptc
20th January 2008, 10:14 AM
Thinking of you all.
have been in the RSL a few times.
is anakie and rubyvale getting it as well.

RETIRED
20th January 2008, 10:23 AM
Now ........ what did you say about that dam a month or so ago. Only been full once:B

Hope you do OK Vern.

rsser
20th January 2008, 11:21 AM
Good luck mate.

What about a few pallets, a belt and a propellor?

lubbing5cherubs
20th January 2008, 11:26 AM
Mate I am sorry hang in there. Hope you get throught it ok. I know last year I had my lathe room go under water it so expensive when you have to replace everything. Hope you don't fair to bad.
Thinking of you
Toni

Gil Jones
20th January 2008, 01:51 PM
Good luck, Vern.

TTIT
20th January 2008, 02:38 PM
Thinking of you all.
have been in the RSL a few times.
is anakie and rubyvale getting it as well.They've copped more rain out on the gemfields than the locals have ever seen - some serious 'speccing' on the cards when it all subsides.

Now ........ what did you say about that dam a month or so ago. Only been full once:B

Hope you do OK Vern.Well I did say I wouldn't leave here until I saw water over the spillway - guess I'm a free agent again!

Went out to the dam this morning with Thunkner and his clan and about 13000 other Emeraldites to see the sight! 2.3 metres going over and still rising with lots more to come - apparently it rose from 2.0 to 2.3 in just hours - that's a scary amount of water. The river is rising faster than anything I've seen before too. The 3 pics of the top of a post between the bridges are only nineteen minutes apart - roughly 3". Getting very nervous I can tell you!:C

Wasn't all bad - identified a tree I've been chasing for a while - know where I can get a ribbonwood now:U

scooter
20th January 2008, 03:53 PM
Grew up living on the flats at Orbost where the Snowy used to flood regularly, the pics are bringing it back.

T

Wasn't all bad - identified a tree I've been chasing for a while - know where I can get a ribbonwood now:U

:D Can't keep a man down. :D

Stay dry, mate. :)

rsser
20th January 2008, 04:02 PM
Every cloud ....

rsser
20th January 2008, 04:27 PM
Didn't know you were a country boy Sean.

I've walked or rafted the Snowy a couple of times. Amazing to see how flood water has deposited debris high up in the trees on the banks. Must've been before the hydro.

tea lady
20th January 2008, 04:31 PM
[quote=TTIT;666418]They've copped more rain out on the gemfields than the locals have ever seen - some serious 'speccing' on the cards when it all subsides.

They said on the ABC news that some houses had ended up subsiding into their mines which are right under them 'cause they just follow the seem and it ends up going everywhere under the town. (I think that was in Sapphire or somewhere like that)"Speccing" could turn up real strange things- Lounge chair, T.V, bed side table. Lathe.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2008, 04:58 PM

Use a good, sharp blade on the saw... you don't want to be like the "wind" that left 'dozer tracks... :;

hughie
20th January 2008, 05:56 PM
Hi Vern,

If it only gets wet and not buried in silt etc. It may not be too bad. A number of times working in the bush I have had elect equip drowned and have had dried out in a oven and its worked fine, as long as its turned off, even had a couple of 19'' monitors go for a swim and they recovered. HHD drives did not make it tho" :C:U

All else fails bundle it all in a garbage bag and head for the hills.

Although it seem you may not be needing any floaties. If this news is correct
http://bigpond.com/news/national/content/20080120/2142425.asp

nfld steve
20th January 2008, 08:14 PM
Hi Vern,sorry to hear of your troubles.Really.
The guys have agreat idea about the grease,and wrapping the motor,if you can't remove it in rags soaked in oil,and then perhaps put bags over that,then for the silt,maybe wrap brin around the lathe,soaked in oil,then a tarp,and then make a crude wooden box around it with some old boards.
I've never been in a flood,so I'm just repeating what I read,for encouragement,lol.
If you're anything like me,my tools are the next closest thing to me than my family.Oh,yeah,the dogs I suppose,lol.,,but the tools are in between the dogs and the hens,,I think the hens might come last,lol.
Anyway,I really wish you the best of luck.Hang in there.
Steve

mick61
20th January 2008, 08:32 PM
Goodluck Vern I hope everything works out ok.Mick:D

ticklingmedusa
20th January 2008, 08:55 PM
:fingerscrossed:

also hoping for the best
john

joe greiner
20th January 2008, 09:13 PM
What they all said. But even if it cops some silt, still no sweat. 'Bout 40 years ago, I rescued an electric typewriter from a flood. Broke it into major sub-assemblies, swabbed everything with Gunk (water-based(?) engine degreaser), and flushed 'em with a garden hose. Re-assembled after a few days' drying. Worked for at least 20 years, until the mission was taken over by compu-duh-rs. Best of luck.

Joe

Mrs Woodpecker
20th January 2008, 09:41 PM
Good luck Vern. Have been keeping an eye on your situation. Thought you may be in a low spot. I was glad Don did not have to stay out there till Friday or he'd be still there.
Cheers,
Shirley

Big Shed
20th January 2008, 09:48 PM
Hope things are OK where you are Vern, but according to this (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/20/2142508.htm) it is not looking good.

Sawdust Maker
20th January 2008, 09:58 PM
Goodluck
I've seen your posts and I like your wit - hope it all works out ok
I'll contribute to the tapemeasure

Caveman
21st January 2008, 12:41 AM
Hope it turns out alright for you Vern.

Weird thing but were also getting loads of rain out of the blue, in the middle of drought over in this part of the world.
Should be hot and dry now but it's p!ss!ing with rain - good for the trees!

Good luck!

wheelinround
21st January 2008, 10:55 AM
Keep safe Vern hope all is well

:C these aren't tears its the water level

Big Shed
21st January 2008, 11:50 AM
Not looking good (http://news.theage.com.au/hundreds-evacuate-central-qld-town/20080121-1n37.html)

rsser
21st January 2008, 12:01 PM
Ouch.

But you gotta love the euphemism for evacuation: 'relocation to higher ground'.

Wonder what Noah would've made of that.

wheelinround
21st January 2008, 12:30 PM
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/y7news/index.php?rn=248153&cl=6018574
Hang in there Vern Victorian's and western NSW will cop it all down the river wonder whats taking place to prepare them for the swell.

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2008, 12:48 PM
Fingers crossed Vern. :oo:

Tankstand
21st January 2008, 05:43 PM
Our thoughts are with you Vern along with the safety of your property and your lathe and your stockpile of turning timbers!:oo:

westpest
22nd January 2008, 05:32 PM
Just received this pic from SES contact in Qld taken today near Emerald, yes that is a header......

ss_11000
22nd January 2008, 05:52 PM
thats a lot of water:ohope you get thru this alrite vern:)

killerbeast
22nd January 2008, 06:50 PM
man... i hope it turns out ok.... thats a lot of water !! and to think i was worring about my basement getting flooded again... (flooded ½" of water) .....

Duckt tape and plastic bags and go for it... if flooded keep wet and clean with lots of water dry out fast wd40 and turn on letting i run for a long time... done that before worked weel for me..

robyn2839
22nd January 2008, 09:50 PM
hope everything is ok up there vern ,and the rain stops. bob

Wood Butcher
23rd January 2008, 12:15 AM
Vern, while you're waiting around go and buy the better half a new pair of shoes. They might come in handy

martrix
23rd January 2008, 12:22 AM
what about Rocker? Doesn't he live in Emerald?

journeyman Mick
23rd January 2008, 12:27 AM
what about Rocker? Doesn't he live in Emerald?

Nope, Sunshine Coast.

Mick

Frank&Earnest
23rd January 2008, 12:27 AM
Vern has not been on line for two days... hope he's not one of those who had to leave. Either way Vern, best of luck. If you have too much water over there, pump some down here, we need it!:D

OGYT
23rd January 2008, 05:36 AM
Finally get time to get back online, and find all heck's breakin' loose. I hope Vern and family is alright... and hope he got the lathe bagged up if the water reached it.
What's the temperature average this time of year where he's located? It's bad enough to be wet, but it'd be worse, to be cold and wet.
Maybe we'll hear from him in a day or two, and find all's well...

Wood Butcher
23rd January 2008, 07:51 AM
It's Summer over here Al. Apparently the temperature at Emerald yesterday was a touch over 30 deg C.

woodcutta
23rd January 2008, 11:30 AM
Vern - Hope the temporary levee they erected is working!

Had this sent to me. The mine is just outside Emerald. 60 million dollar machine going cheap.

I'm guessing that about 50 feet or more of it is under water.

Pic 2 is what the underwater bit looks like (or close enough)

woodcutta

HappyHammer
23rd January 2008, 11:43 AM
Hope everythings OK Vern getting worried as you haven't been online.:C

HH.

martrix
23rd January 2008, 01:10 PM
Nope, Sunshine Coast.

Mick

oops, my bad.:- I got Elimbah mixed up with Emerald.:doh:

Good luck Vern, hope the damage (if any) is not too bad.

TTIT
23rd January 2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks to each and every one of you for your concern and good wishes - really means a lot to me.:thanx:
Just after I posted the other night (10pm) there was a knock at the door and they gave us until 6am to be ready to leave. Thankfully, Thunkner and his wife came over and helped me until the wee hours to get as much as possible off the deck, including removing the electrics from the lathe and bandsaws.
Packed up the dog as well and then went over to Thunkners high-set on higher ground to sit it out. 11 of us and 9 dogs - but we were much better off than many. Thunkners boss was stuck on the other side of the river and mine doesn't know I exist so work wasn't an issue. Waiting to see what was going to happen was sort of like watching grass grow, but a little quicker and higher - so what are you gonna do when there's beer in the fridge and wood and a lathe in the shed and nothing else to do??? :shrug:

Pretty stressful at times when every BOM update showed the spillway and river rising and then watching every low spot in town start to fill. Ended up with 4.44m going over the spillway yesterday and the river at 15.4 something before they steadied last night and finally showed a drop this morning.
Our local council didn't have a clue where the levels sit around town - evacuated my area way too soon and had to urgently pull other areas out that they thought were safe - gonna be some ass-kicking and updating of records going on when it all subsides.

Got mobs of other pics but I'm not set up too well at the moment - 'puters in the back of the ute. These are from this morning just as the local levels started to drop.
Pic #1 is the view from Thunkners verandah - he reckons he should put his place on the market now while everyone knows it's safe - a lot of the new developments went under - one estate only just just started building and the whole thing was under water so I don't like their chances of selling another block there.
Pic #2 is looking up my street this morning - only made it to my driveway so I probably had another 300mm up my sleeve :v:
Pic #3 Our play around with some offset stuff. Thunkners 3 one the left and mine on the right.

RufflyRustic
23rd January 2008, 01:17 PM
Thank God!!!

Vern's lathe and Vern are more than OK!! Whew!!

Cheers
Wendy

ss_11000
23rd January 2008, 01:25 PM
glad to hear your safe:2tsup:

at least you had something to do...those eccentric peices look cool:cool:

wheelinround
23rd January 2008, 01:33 PM
Good to hear all is well Vern :2tsup:

obviously the grog was the influance of the products turned or was it just centering them after having a few that was the problem :D

switt775
23rd January 2008, 01:36 PM
Good to hear you've survived the worst of it. That is assuming you don't get any more rain for the next week or so.:2tsup:

flynnsart
23rd January 2008, 01:48 PM
Glad to hear:2tsup:

Donna

HappyHammer
23rd January 2008, 02:04 PM
Glad to see you're Ok Vern.:2tsup:

HH.

Cliff Rogers
23rd January 2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the update Vern, now get back to the shed til it is time to help with the clean up. :2tsup:

wheelinround
23rd January 2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/capricornia/stories/s2144158.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/capricornia/stories/s2142196.htm

the mine site http://www.abc.net.au/capricornia/stories/s2144038.htm

Wood Butcher
23rd January 2008, 03:29 PM
Great to hear you're all safe and nice work!!

Simomatra
23rd January 2008, 03:34 PM
Just caught this post Vern. Hope you and family are safe and see you have the electrics off

Thinking of you

Elbow
23rd January 2008, 03:35 PM
Vern, glad eveything is ok, might need a block & tackle over the stubbie next time

Allan

BernieP
23rd January 2008, 03:41 PM
G'Day TTIT

Good to see all is well.

Cheers
Bernie

Big Shed
23rd January 2008, 03:48 PM
Great news Vern, good to see you put the time to good use!:2tsup:

tea lady
23rd January 2008, 04:35 PM
Great to hear you are on dry ground and lathe rescue under way. Nice to see some creativity has come out off the whole thing with the off centre play. That teeny tiny one is sooooo cuuuute!

Sawdust Maker
23rd January 2008, 07:26 PM
I'm pleased you got out of the slight water problem ok
However I'd have thought with the wheels attached you could just towed said lathe behind the ute (or whatever vehicle you have):U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd January 2008, 07:43 PM
[sigh] So much for my "slightly soiled" upgrade path... :;

hughie
23rd January 2008, 08:43 PM
Vern good to hear your still on dry ground. :2tsup: But then its hard to keep a good man down :U

Mrs Woodpecker
23rd January 2008, 08:58 PM
Hi Vern. Sorry to hear that your home is wet, but great that you are OK.
Friends of ours moved into their new home a few days ago, and it went under. All they got out with was a change of clothes and a few photos.
Cheers, Shirley

BobL
23rd January 2008, 09:10 PM
Just caught this post Vern. Hope you and family are safe and see you have the electrics off

Thinking of you

Mee too! For some reason it makes the whole thing a lot more personal when you have someone in the firing line!

Toolin Around
23rd January 2008, 09:26 PM
If I were within driving distance I'd lend you my cherry picker... I work so I can't drive up but if you want to borrow it you can - I'm in Maroochydore. It'll lift your lathe into the back of the ute easily. Maybe you should think of buying one anyways, they're not all that much to buy. I brought one with me when I moved to Aus just for moving the lathe.

scooter
23rd January 2008, 10:22 PM
Good to hear, Vern :)

Simomatra
24th January 2008, 09:47 AM
Good to hear that the waters are receding this morning

Now the cleaning up begings Yuk

Allan at Wallan
24th January 2008, 07:58 PM
Excellent news Vern!

Might be time to enquire with Jim Carroll
whether he stocks "floaties" in case you
have a repetition in the future.

Allan

I once stole a calendar - and got 12 months.

Sarge
24th January 2008, 08:36 PM
If I were within driving distance I'd lend you my cherry picker... I work so I can't drive up but if you want to borrow it you can - I'm in Maroochydore. It'll lift your lathe into the back of the ute easily. Maybe you should think of buying one anyways, they're not all that much to buy. I brought one with me when I moved to Aus just for moving the lathe.

I agree, If I was within driving distance I would have been happy to relocate the stubby to my place for safe keeping..... not sure when you would have got it back though :)

Of course I am only thinking of the safety of the lathe... but it's good to hear that you and your family got through ok too :)

Does this sound to callous......nah, I'm just saying what everyone is thinking, how can I get my hands on his lathe"

Calm
24th January 2008, 08:46 PM
Vern

Good to hear all's well so far. Hope no more rain for the present to allow you to clean up. :2tsup:

If there is any good part to the whole ordeal you now know how high the flood has to be to get your shed.

You could send it to sunny Ballarat i would be happy to look after it for you.:D:D

Ah a stubby (lathe) - one can only dream post on first page

[sigh] So much for my "slightly soiled" upgrade path... :;

Skew and the others i am disapointed you were so quick to jump in. Doesnt first offer count for anything:D:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th January 2008, 10:56 PM
Skew and the others i am disapointed you were so quick to jump in. Doesnt first offer count for anything:D:D

When good tools are involved, there's no such thing as "mates." :q

:U

(I should add that I am relieved to hear that it didn't turn out to be much more than a scare as far as Vern's concerned. And I wish this little green demon sitting on my shoulder, that screams in fits of jealousy whenever Stubbys are mentioned, would just shut up... :roll:)

wheelinround
25th January 2008, 10:22 AM
http://news.smh.com.au/emerald-flood-looters-revolt-pm/20080125-1o0w.html

bloody looters :((:~

The federal government has offered grants of up to $10,000 to those living in disaster areas, under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2008, 10:32 AM
B@stards:boxing5:
I reckon they'd find it difficult putting the stubby in their back pocketshttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon4.gif
I had a look at TTIT's website. Mist say I like the setup - will have to adapt some of the ides to my little fibro shed

ptc
25th January 2008, 10:38 AM
they should post a Big reward to catch the scum

artme
25th January 2008, 11:49 AM
Great to see you and Thunker are Ok TTIT and that you could at least do something useful with your time.:D:D
Bloody looters.:((:((:(( My first thought was to have them flogged up and down every street in Emerald.:oo: Then I thought on a loftier plane. If they are found then they need to do community service, starting with flood clean up work.

TTIT
26th January 2008, 12:11 AM
Great to see you and Thunker are Ok TTIT and that you could at least do something useful with your time.:D:D
Bloody looters.:((:((:(( My first thought was to have them flogged up and down every street in Emerald.:oo: Then I thought on a loftier plane. If they are found then they need to do community service, starting with flood clean up work.I don't think they'll be capable of community service if locals find them before the recruits do. I worked with one of the women whose homes got ransacked and knowing her hubby, the snake-turds would be better off to just leave town. You think you're immune to this sort of thing living way out here but apparently scum can survive anywhere! :~ Bet they're not woodies!:;

hughie
26th January 2008, 11:26 AM
They should consider them selves lucky they live in Oz. Many countries shoot looters on the spot.

Simomatra
26th January 2008, 03:48 PM
They should consider them selves lucky they live in Oz. Many countries shoot looters on the spot.

That would be to good for them

Sawdust Maker
26th January 2008, 07:28 PM
I see that Oz is a good place to live
We move our miscreants to other locations so they don't get rule 303

I personally like the helping with lean up - cleaning footpaths with toothbrushes maybe:((

wheelinround
26th January 2008, 08:09 PM
I got an e-mail this week of a kid from Iran who stole bread pictures of them running over his arm with a car if hed been an adult he would have lost fingers or a hand.

nfld steve
26th January 2008, 11:06 PM
I noticed you're talking about looters.Did someone take some of Verns tools? There are a few living here too,in the area.
They've gotten very bold lately,a few times they looed,,when the person was home,,,,,and awake!!That's scary,,,I'm glad we have a german sheppard,,,,but our beagle would give them a good nip too!!lol.
Supposedly the law here is ,if they come in your house,you're supposed to let them have what they f,ing want,and not hurt them!! But the way I see it is,they could always slip on my stairs on the way out,,,,,a few times!!:roll:.
Really though,sorry Vern if you got nipped there,,,I've been done myself before,,,a brand new quad with all the bells and whistles I could put on her,and it still bugs me...Even more so that I think I know who took it..
Surprisingly,,thieves don't often look like thieves,,,they often look like the real upstanding decent person...NOT!!!lol.
The main thing is everyone is ok,even though it must me devastating to get flooded out,I've not been yet,and I don't think I can be where I lived,but I hope he and his family has a speedy "recovery" and clean up,too bad I live in Newfoundland,I'ld definitely drop by and lend a hand,,,but I'ld also have a motive,,,,lol,,,to hang around after and learn some turning techniques from him,and the rest of you guys!!LOL.
Yes,I'm evious of your timber down there,:C.
Well guys,,,hope yee all have a good day.Talk to yez later,Steve.
Oh,,Hang in there Vern,this too shall pass,you know that.Steve

AV Elec
26th January 2008, 11:32 PM
Sorry to hear Vern.

I was actually working there for a few weeks a while back. Very erie to see places I recognise under water.

There were reports the looters had to be locked up for their own safety! I can't imagine them being able to live in that town anymore - they might as well move on now.

I assume all the mines are full of water might take a while for them to get going again.

tea lady
27th January 2008, 05:57 PM
I assume all the mines are full of water might take a while for them to get going again.[/quote]

Mining companies are now hiring scuba divers.:D

wheelinround
29th January 2008, 04:28 PM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Ray/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-9.jpghttp://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200801/r218657_855727.jpg