PDA

View Full Version : My headache--the punky piece

lubbing5cherubs
20th January 2008, 09:47 PM
HI this is what I been up to. Rather then getting upset by the punkiness I decided to make it part of the piece. I burnt it in. During the hollowing out the wood teared and right through I was left the hole right through. Grrr! So again I decided to continue and see if I could work it in. Well after all the headaches. I am proud to say I am rather chuffed with the final results.
here you go.Love to hear your opinion always open to learn more.
bye Toni

ss_11000
20th January 2008, 09:50 PM
nice work Toni. i like the burnings:cool:

littlebuddha
21st January 2008, 03:56 AM
Hi Toni Nice to see you having a go at more than pens, and trying different things in your turnings, would have been nicer if you had got it thinner with putting the holes in, if you get it down to about 2mm then try a bit of piercing work, maybe have burnt the holes some as they look a bit unfinished, but its good that you were able to think around a problem and use it, i have seen people just settle for what it was or bin it. if you have problems with punky wood and go through the bits with super glue and or sanding sealer try some for of texturing, you can always use spray paints nothing to say it has to be wood showing on it all, there are spray cans that do a texture paint that can make a piece look very good, also the cobweb spray, lace netting put around and spray through, just thought and a bit of noggin work:2tsup: Nice to see a lady turner having a go, keep playing babe..LB.
http://www.shapewood.co.uk

Harry72
21st January 2008, 07:41 AM
Did you texture it or just burn it?
Looks good BTW

Gil Jones
21st January 2008, 08:37 AM
Good work, Toni. I like the shape of it!!:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
21st January 2008, 08:53 AM
thanks guys. Harry it is just burnt.
Toni

wheelinround
21st January 2008, 11:08 AM
Toni read your other post and what a save WOW now thats what I call an Artistic creation :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st January 2008, 12:22 PM
They say that part of becoming a true master is learning how to hide mistakes & problems. :;

Trying to mentally "white out" the burning, I think it actually improves on the overall look. I wonder how it'd look if you'd burnt a matching band on the inside of the pot and left the rim plain? Hmmm...

BernieP
21st January 2008, 02:36 PM
Hi Toni

Well saved:2tsup:

Cheers
Bernie

TimberNut
21st January 2008, 04:45 PM
Toni,

Every piece of timber is a 'design opportunity'. Having said that, don't forget - every accidental gouge, slip, frisbee, crack, slice, oops, etc is also a 'design opportunity'! Some will be of your own making, and most will just be a cantankerous piece of whatever is/was spinning on the lathe.

For wood turners, there are no such things as mistakes - just 'opportunities' not fully realised.

I'm pleased to see you made the most of this design opportunity.

artme
21st January 2008, 09:56 PM
Great save!!:2tsup::2tsup:
Agree with littlebuddha's suggestion about wall thickness. Still design features come with practice.

flynnsart
21st January 2008, 10:30 PM
That came out pretty cool looking, good save:2tsup:

BUT....How do you write with a pen that fat:p

Donna

lubbing5cherubs
22nd January 2008, 09:00 AM
I know Donna I have thought of that too. LOL
Toni