PDA

View Full Version : Lathe: Ergonomics, operating height

Groggy
23rd January 2008, 12:36 PM
Most lathes are set up so the operator is holding the tool so the elbow is at approximately 90 degrees. In an attempt to reduce the clutter in my workshop I am considering taking my lathe off its metal stand and mounting it to a bench. The bench is stomach high, and, with the lathe on it, the centres would be chest high. Any work I do on the lathe would be small and generally short in length, so I am wondering if the height would not be too bad for this type of work.

Another option is to make a platform to stand on, but this would be just one more item of clutter in a workshop where space is at a premium. Any thoughts as to the best setup here?

Failing a good solution I may end up selling this lathe (MC-1100) for something smaller (Jet type maybe).

HappyHammer
23rd January 2008, 01:35 PM
Failing a good solution I may end up selling this lathe (MC-1100) for something smaller (Jet type maybe).
Will that solve the problem? Still might not be 90 degrees. I would have thought for pens and small spindle stuff it might not be too bad but for hollowing and bowls it might be a bit awkward. Need some more experienced advice I'd suggest.

Maybe a pair of small stilts?:U

HH.

OGYT
23rd January 2008, 03:00 PM
Don't know how high that is, but I'm 5'10" tall, and my Spindle is 49" high. Solved my back and shoulder problems when I raised it up.

Groggy
23rd January 2008, 03:29 PM
I measured it and the spindles will be at 1250mm from the ground. This means my elbows will be slightly bent as my hands will need to raise a bit.

I don't expect to be hollowing any bowls etc, just handles and short spindle work, maybe a rosette or two.
(Stilts :doh: :D )

Groggy
23rd January 2008, 03:32 PM
Don't know how high that is, but I'm 5'10" tall, and my Spindle is 49" high. Solved my back and shoulder problems when I raised it up.Google says:
49 inches = 1244.6 millimeters

So, allowing for me being 4" taller than yourself at 6'2" it shouldn't be a problem (I guess :?).

Wood Butcher
23rd January 2008, 03:40 PM
Greg, worst case make yourself a duckboard that you can stand on when using the lathe.

Groggy
23rd January 2008, 03:45 PM
Greg, worst case make yourself a duckboard that you can stand on when using the lathe.Thanks Rowan, I thought about that, but as I said below..

....Another option is to make a platform to stand on, but this would be just one more item of clutter in a workshop where space is at a premium.
It becomes yet another object on the floor that takes up space. In this case it would restrict where I can move the dust collector. I am considering making a platform I can push UNDER the bench, but then I have to move the dusty hoses elsewhere - everything is a trade-off :( .

ss_11000
23rd January 2008, 03:49 PM
i really should make my lathe another couple of inches higher.

but Groggy, why not just sell the lathe and upgrade without it being the last option:D

Sawdust Maker
23rd January 2008, 07:33 PM
You could always make a duckboard and flip it on its side or end for storage, less of a footprint. Could even have wheels for ease of storage under the bench or elsewhere.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd January 2008, 08:09 PM
Most lathes are set up so the operator is holding the tool so the elbow is at approximately 90 degrees.

So say the ergomnomists amongst us. In practice, I find it ain't always so. :)

The bench is stomach high, and, with the lathe on it, the centres would be chest high. Any work I do on the lathe would be small and generally short in length, so I am wondering if the height would not be too bad for this type of work.

My recommendation would be to suck it and see. If you find it's comfortable working at that height, then what's the problem?

My lathes are all set up at slightly different heights and I find that I tend to use each one for different types of work. Not planned that way, originally... I simply found myself more comfortable doing such'n'such a job on this or that particular lathe and have tended to go with the flow. :shrug:

I like to do "small & short" pieces with the centre's about 2" below the centre of my chest. It gives me a better view of the fine detail/finish and as it's such low mass, being smacked in the face by half a log isn't a major concern.

FWIW, the tool-rest height doesn't have to be at (well... just below) centre-height... although that's also the ergonomists & "purists" recommendation. Personally, I drop the tool-rest down so that the tool is cutting in the SW corner of the work - between the 7 and 8 o'clock position, if you prefer. (Ummm... that's when looking at the headstock from the tailstock end.) This also means I hold the chisel at a more acute angle to the horizontal than normal, but it's more comfortable 'cos even though I'm bendng my elbows more, I'm still holding the tool exactly the same as I would otherwise. ie. no cocking of the wrists to compensate.

(Have I explained that clearly? Probably not. :doh: Words keep getting in the way... :roll:)

Like I said: just suck it and see. You can always add a duck board later...

Calm
23rd January 2008, 08:17 PM
Greg i just adjust the level of woodchips t suit. It also beats standing on concrete aall the time.:D:D

Groggy
23rd January 2008, 10:13 PM
Greg i just adjust the level of woodchips t suit.
:D

My recommendation would be to suck it and see. If you find it's comfortable working at that height, then what's the problem? Yep, will do. Just that I have to juggle a bunch of things if I move one of them.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! :2tsup:

Thunknker
24th January 2008, 12:38 PM
When I built the stand for my MC900 I made it 1235mm floor to center which is comfortable for me at 6ft. You won't have to crane over as much to see when hollowing and small spindle work. The original stand used to kill my back, even standing with feet wide apart.

Cliff Rogers
24th January 2008, 12:47 PM
I have mentioned this elswhere...

Mine is set so my elbow is halfway between the bed & the spindle centre.

On my Vicmarc VL300, that works out to be 1290mm to the centre of the spindle but I have a 25mm dense foam mat to stand on so the spindle centre is about 1270mm while I am standing at the lathe.

Groggy
24th January 2008, 05:04 PM
It is actually 1340mm, measured after fitting. I'll make a roll in/out stand somehow and reroute the dusty hoses.

HappyHammer
24th January 2008, 07:25 PM
Hey Groggy can't you hang them hoses from the ceiling? How many times you tripped over them?

HH.

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2008, 07:32 PM
I notice you have two double power points - is that enough?
nice cupboards - could hide a multiple of sins in them!

Groggy
24th January 2008, 07:49 PM
Hey Groggy can't you hang them hoses from the ceiling? How many times you tripped over them?I'd love to put them overhead, I've lost count of the trips :-. One day....:rolleyes:
Unfortunately the shed has a flat roof, so very little room up there.

I notice you have two double power points - is that enough?
nice cupboards - could hide a multiple of sins in them!I rewired the shed two or so years ago when building a deck (a search will return the whole sorry tale). In the shed I have 7 double 10amp GPOs and two 10amp pendant outlets, plus two 15amp HD outlets for welding, TS and jointer.

The "outlet" on the left is actually a switch for the only incandescent bulb in the shed, which is overhead the lathe.

joe greiner
24th January 2008, 10:03 PM
I can't find it now (of course), but one source recommended placing the spindle at 2 inches (50mm) above elbow height. Probably best to experiment with some spare planks under you and/or the lathe to find your comfort zone. Like Skew suggests, this may vary for different types of turning. And easier to shim yourself than the lathe. You could even make a set of different-thickness strap-on auxiliary shoe soles, or mini-stilts shall we say.

Joe

Jim Carroll
26th January 2008, 09:26 AM
One of the problems with having the lathe a bit high is when using the skew chisel you tend to cramp yourself up a bit and catches become easier.

You do usually have a bit of come and go with the height of the lathe.
As mentioned earlier the rule of thumb is elbow height give or take an inch.

As you are broad in the shoulders you may find it too high that you tend to grip the tools tighter and tense up more. A bit lower and you will find it more relaxing.

Changing lathes may not fix the problem as most of the small lathes still have a simialr bench to centre height as most motors are tucked in under the bed casting.

Groggy
26th January 2008, 10:08 AM
I guess I'll go with some sort of platform. I already use a death grip and probably would tense up. Thanks for the thoughts eveyone :2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
26th January 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Greg, sorry to bother you now, been off line a while. I noticed from the photo that your cabinet is on metal legs. Wouldn't cutting a couple of inches off them be easier than adding a platform you did not like in the first place, if you are re-routing the hoses anyway?

As regards the correct height, the instructor of the turning course I recently attended made the students put their right hand on their left shoulder so that the point of the elbow indicated the correct height of the spindle (works out at a couple of inches above the navel, I think).

DJ’s Timber
26th January 2008, 09:37 PM
Dropped in to Groogy's today and we both agreed that the lathe is too high, so a platform will be built.

Frank, the bench has been specifically made at that height, as the outfeed from the jointer passes under the lip of it. Groggy has everything organised in his shed so that they all work together

woodwork wally
26th January 2008, 09:49 PM
Jeepers groggy and I thought I was cramped but I reckon you and DJ have it sorted the right direction all the best for the trials Wally

Groggy
26th January 2008, 09:50 PM
Hi Greg, sorry to bother you now,

No bother at all!

been off line a while.

I thought it was quiet :p

I noticed from the photo that your cabinet is on metal legs. Wouldn't cutting a couple of inches off them be easier than adding a platform you did not like in the first place, if you are re-routing the hoses anyway?

As DJ indicated, my shop is a 3 dimensional chessgame of outfeed and infeed planes. The lathe on its stand was an embuggerance and now I am glad I moved it up and out the way. I'll build a stand to raise me to a better working height and keep it outside the shed somewhere until I need it. The bench height, as DJ said, is to allow very long lengths from the jointer and sheets from the TS to pass underneath.

As regards the correct height, the instructor of the turning course I recently attended made the students put their right hand on their left shoulder so that the point of the elbow indicated the correct height of the spindle (works out at a couple of inches above the navel, I think).

That's a handy tip, thanks for passing it on. :2tsup:

RETIRED
28th January 2008, 07:37 AM
Dunno why you don't buy a small house with a big shed attached.:rolleyes::D

Groggy
28th January 2008, 08:12 AM
Dunno why you don't buy a small house with a big shed attached.:rolleyes::DPassed that one on to the missus. , you'd best stay away for a while :D

Hmmm, you're not selling up are you?

rsser
28th January 2008, 06:00 PM
Bit late but +1 to F&E's post. That's where I had my VM175 set when I had a stand made for it.

Also blokes with bad backs or who do a lot of hollowing often benefit from the centre being a bit higher too as already noted.