PDA

View Full Version : She-oak? St Ives - Sydney

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2008, 01:15 PM
To let you know, I saw a pile of fresh cut rounds yesterday arvo on the nature strip on Eastern Arterial St Ives. Gregory's map reference would be P254 D3, left hand side headed north.
I think it's she-oak going by the pile of small branches and leaves and bark pattern
I picked up a piece about 12" round couple of feet long
This time it's not melbourne for a change

Ross
24th January 2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out on the way home.

Ross

artme
24th January 2008, 05:20 PM
Bugger. Too far from Brisbane!:((:((:((

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2008, 07:27 PM
Just what I said when I saw the odd Melbourne post - Too for from civilization:p
check Jetstar could be a cheap flight - but the TAXI would cripple most of us!

wayfarer
24th January 2008, 08:30 PM
Excuse my dullness, but what good is she oak for? (we are talking Casuarinacece here?)

It's just that I chipped two medium size trees about two months ago that had died a year before. I still have one left, dead but standing. Does it have a use?

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2008, 10:56 AM
I'd heard it was ok for turning, but I'm no expert

artme
25th January 2008, 11:24 AM
Some Casuarinas are very good for turning provided they are not the type that splits so much you are not left with small unusable pieces. You need to make sure that your timber is well seasoned before turning.:p

wayfarer
25th January 2008, 03:30 PM
I'd heard it was ok for turning, but I'm no expert

Perhaps I worded my question poorly :)

I should have said something like: "What things would you make from she-oak... what is it good for?"

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2008, 08:28 PM
There are a couple of threads re casuarinas and turning
me I'm going to slice my piece up and let it season and depending on usable size left, will attempt to make something - hopefully a bowl or two.

I might try one wet to about an inch in wall thickness and let it sit and see what happens when it dries. Worst case is that it'll end up as fuel for the barbi. This is all learning for me.

Since I'm a bit of a timber scavenger, wayfarer, if you slice yours up I'll take some of your hands. SHMBO says I'm getting a nice woodpile, and then mentions termites:~

rodent
25th January 2008, 09:31 PM
wayfarer just about any thing . It turns well and when cut properly it can be used for boxes spindles bowls pepper grinders goblets etc . Lets just say it's a nice wood to play with .