PDA

View Full Version : Gary Pye Chuck Jaws

funkychicken
25th January 2008, 11:45 PM
Grabbed a GPW chuck set - (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107445144) - from Northwood Tools and thought :woot: "I finally gots a chuck!".........

One problem..

The jaws...

All the jaws are ribbed. On the site it shows smooth jaws.
Also on the site it shows dovetail jaws, I've got straight jaws with wrinkles:~

Meaning I can't grip something without getting marks on the piece.

:annoyed:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th January 2008, 12:23 AM
:woot: "I finally gots a chuck!".........

:2tsup:

One problem..

The jaws...

All the jaws are ribbed. On the site it shows smooth jaws.
Also on the site it shows dovetail jaws, I've got straight jaws with wrinkles:~

The site says it comes with "50mm jaws, pin jaws, step jaws, dovetail jaws" and a few other bits as standard. The 50mm and dovetail jaws should be dovetailed, pin-jaws fairly smooth inside and the step jaws, well... stepped.

I gather that's not what you got? Photos?

Meaning I can't grip something without getting marks on the piece.

All jaws will mark the wood to some degree. That's why turning a tenon on the end of the blank for the jaws, which is later parted off from the finished object, is a "major" form of mounting. :;

TTIT
26th January 2008, 12:26 AM
The idea is to grab parts you don't intend keeping like a spigot that is to be parted off later. Those jaws are actually VERY good for gripping wood (which is what they were designed to do) and happen to be exactly what Thunkner and I used to make these offset pieces (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=668593&postcount=56). There are ways of protecting your work if you do have to grip it by a part you want to finish. One method I use regularly is narrow rings of PVC between the work and the jaws. Just grab offcuts of every sized PVC pipe you can find, grab short pieces of them in your chuck and part off rings about 1/4" wide. Cut the ring to allow it to expand/contract to suit your work and your in business. :;
Don't forget you can fit any Teknatool or Vicmarc jaws on the chuck too so you're not limited to just the set that came with it.:U

ziggy21
26th January 2008, 12:58 AM
hi funkychicken
I just recently purchaced the same set,and i also received "ribbed" jaw.My 50mm jaws and the larger jaws that i recieved arent dovetailed either. After using these jaws i can say they are great and i havent had a bowl move or come loose from the jaws yet. The ribbed jaws really grip.

Sawdust Maker
26th January 2008, 07:34 PM
From TTIT
Don't forget you can fit any Teknatool or Vicmarc jaws on the chuck too so you're not limited to just the set that came with it.teknatool and vicmarc are not interchangeable surely? or have I missed something

funkychicken
26th January 2008, 09:12 PM
All jaws will mark the wood to some degree.
Not so. I turned a box and a bowl at my mates and the VM-140 left no marks (except some gunk that was on the jaws)
But I know what you mean.

The ribbed jaws will be great for some stuff but not for what I'd be doing mainly (gripping bowl bottoms, box outsides)

I finally figured out how to upload photos... so here goes

DJ’s Timber
26th January 2008, 09:46 PM
Don't forget you can fit any Teknatool or Vicmarc jaws on the chuck too so you're not limited to just the set that came with it.:U

Where did you hear this from Vern? According to GPW's website (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107445143), only the Teknatool jaws are compatible.

woodwork wally
26th January 2008, 10:05 PM
Use the 50 mm. teknatool jaws and make internal spigot grab on base of bowl and you will have nice presentation easy cleanup and I dont believe vicmarc jaws fit without some machining . the GPW chucks are rebadged Teknatool and I cant put Vicmac jaws on my Teknatool chucks You basically have to finish the bowl base first apart from a small amount of hand sanding or otherwise do what I did and get a set of COLE Jaws or/ and a vaccuum chuck . any amount of chucks is never enough and 4 sets of jaws cant do all you want and the arms are too short and pockets are too far down the pants and SWMBO is the one drawing the line so where do I go from here . good luck and enjoy your turning and remember there is always another way around a problem regards W.W.Wally

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th January 2008, 10:37 PM
I finally figured out how to upload photos... so here goes

:oo: Even ribbed on the outside, for use in expansion mode!? I thought you meant ribbed as in the Nova Long-nose or Spigot jaws... I haven't seen 'em made quite like those before. The chuck may be rebadged Teknatool but the jaws certainly aren't.

Still, I wouldn't mind adding them to my inventory - as you said, there are be times they'd be handy.

I would look at buying some that are more appropriate to what you want to do, though... maybe step jaws by the sound of it? You've got the chuck, now to look at optioning it out... :;

http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144839

Thunknker
27th January 2008, 12:40 AM
Personally I really like the GPW jaws and I think I have used them all now. My favourite are the step jaws which will grip from 3 or 4mm up to 30+mm. Since buying the GPW I haven't used my SN jaws.:U

Thunknker
27th January 2008, 12:46 AM
Oops forgot to say we tried my SN jaws on ttit's Vermec and vicmark and they fit, only to fit vicmark jaws on SN or vermec the screw holes need to be drilled out 1mm.

TTIT
27th January 2008, 01:09 AM
Where did you hear this from Vern? According to GPW's website (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107445143), only the Teknatool jaws are compatible.

From TTITteknatool and vicmarc are not interchangeable surely? or have I missed something
As Thunkner just said, the Teknatool and Vicmark jaws ARE interchangeable providing you drill the holes out to 6mm on the Vicmark jaws which is a breeze. I always assumed (and we all know what assuming does!) that they weren't compatible until I bought the Vermec chuck which accepts both - because the hole patterns and alignment ring are the same on both brands. I've already drilled out the Vicmark step jaws and shark jaws and used them on the Vermec chuck - sweeeet!:U
I'll start a new thread and show you the Vermec chuck tomorrow maybe - it's late and I need a nap :shrug:

EDIT : Disregard all above statements please!!!

Sawdust Maker
27th January 2008, 08:30 AM
so who copied who I wonder?:?

rsser
27th January 2008, 05:18 PM
IIRC to fit VM jaws to T'tool chux you need an adaptor plate since the grooves don't match; yes, and drill out the screw holes.

So Vermec did the sensible thing it seems. Brother taking on brother - an old story ;-}

TTIT
27th January 2008, 09:08 PM
IIRC to fit VM jaws to T'tool chux you need an adaptor plate since the grooves don't match; yes, and drill out the screw holes.

So Vermec did the sensible thing it seems. Brother taking on brother - an old story ;-}Once again I bow with reverence to your wealth of experience Ern :cool:. I've just done a run over to Thunkners to try the Vicmark jaws on his GPW and Nova chucks and as you said, they won't fit :C. Can't believe the grooves are so close in size but are just different enough to stop any interchuckery relations :;. Enzo's solution to accept both brands is so simple on his new chuck that I'm tempted to open up the radius of the groove on the Vicmark just so I can thumb my nose at the marketing guru's that keep proprietry practices like this going. All kudos to you Ern! (Whatever kudos are :shrug: )

Footnote - Yes it does really count Ern! - I just worked out what the IIRC is :B:B

Sawdust Maker
27th January 2008, 09:15 PM
Aww bugger
I had my eyes on a vicmarc set of jaws for my SN2
and now you've dashed my hopes
shame

funkychicken
28th January 2008, 12:11 AM
Just used the "dovetail" jaws while hollowing out a jacaranda bowl, it's held it very well but I think dovetails would be better for chucking and rechucking true. ( I chucked the bowl and it was slightly wobbly)

rsser
28th January 2008, 06:28 AM
Aww bugger
I had my eyes on a vicmarc set of jaws for my SN2
and now you've dashed my hopes

No, just your wallet!

Both Garry Pye and Vermec retail adapter plates; the Vermec work OK but if I was buying again I'd go for the GP since they're larger.

rsser
28th January 2008, 05:39 PM
Once again I bow with reverence to your wealth of experience Ern :cool:.

Er, you mean the trivia clogging up the dusty attic? :p

Sawdust Maker
29th January 2008, 09:23 PM
adapter plates, bewdy :D
Thanks rsser :2tsup:

I'll check them out then determine whether this is just another example of my magpie instinct wanting something new and shiny :rolleyes:

cheers

rsser
30th January 2008, 05:41 AM
We must've been separated at birth Sawdust :D

It seems that given the number of posts about T'tool jaw quality and design, and my experience with them, that they're losing the plot in this department. External ribs rather than dovetails; rounded over jaw edges; outside chamfer on the spigot jaws - hard to see the sense in these.

Sawdust Maker
30th January 2008, 09:04 PM
... and about 3 years and the odd click :!
but if you're good lookin', who knows :D