PDA

View Full Version : Great Australia Day International Pen Swap

Simomatra
26th January 2008, 09:10 AM
Happy Australia Day to all :aussie5:

THE DRAW

http://www.flags.net/images/smallflags/ASTL0001.GIF http://www.flags.net/images/smallflags/UNST0001.GIF http://www.flags.net/images/smallflags/UNKG0101.GIF http://www.flags.net/images/smallflags/CANA0001.GIF http://www.flags.net/images/smallflags/FRAN0001.GIF

David Mitchell --------------------------------handryn

Funkychicken --------------------------------New London 88

Rippa ----------------------------------------Nancy Laird

Penpal ---------------------------------------Matt88s

Woodenink -----------------------------------Glenn Mcculloug

DJ's Timber -----------------------------------Ozmandus

Bdar ------------------------------------------nfls steve

ss_11000 -------------------------------------lutefisk

lubbing5cherubs -------------------------------Kruger

Dangermouse ----------------------------------Ligget

Big shed ---------------------------------------Austin

Bdar -------------------------------------------ciscokid

Schaf ------------------------------------------ken6991

Fireman sam -----------------------------------Jeff in Indiana

Mick61 -----------------------------------------Celt40

Corb's ------------------------------------------Old Wrangler

Mrs Woodpecker --------------------------------Cigarman

Touchwood -------------------------------------Louisbry

Simomatra --------------------------------------Toomm99

BernieP -----------------------------------------polmanto

That's it folks, please contact your partner to swap addresses and exchange ideas:)

Bdar - Darren I used you twice as you mentioned that you would go in twice to balance up

DJ - You can contact your partner Ozmandus (Chuck) on TPS as you are both members there

Rippa if you send me a Pm with some details i will PM Nancy's contacts to you

Please enjoy the swap and the new found friends, welcome to all the new member that have joined us downunder.:2tsup::2tsup:

Please let me know urgently if I have missed anyone

NB
Please, persons sending pens to Australia be aware of the restrictions. Definitely no ammunition or casings of any kind as they will draw a large fine and be confiscated. I am unsure about antler and such product as a sealed finished item.:oo::oo:

DJ’s Timber
26th January 2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks Sam, draw looks like a nice distribution of nationality :2tsup:

Have sent Chuck a PM via TPS

cigarman
26th January 2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all your work on this Sam. PM sent to Mrs Woodpecker.

Simomatra
26th January 2008, 03:38 PM
Tom and I have been in contact:2tsup:

Rippa
26th January 2008, 05:32 PM
Received your PM Sam will wait for msg from you or Nancy.
Rippa

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th January 2008, 05:37 PM
I hope we'll see photos before they hit the mailboxes...

I may be on the sidelines for this one, but I still like to see the odd goal being scored. :;

Simomatra
26th January 2008, 05:50 PM
I hope we'll see photos before they hit the mailboxes...

I may be on the sidelines for this one, but I still like to see the odd goal being scored. :;

We should have the picture posted after the person receives it. That way it will be a surprise to them when the open it up

A good way is to post both pens when they are both received

This is how my last swap on TPS looked like

Thanks again Nancy

Posted: 09/December/2007 at 10:35am | IP Logged http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/forum_images/quote_icon.gif (http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/edit_post.asp?M=Q&PID=65734&TPN=2) Nancy and I have completed our swap. She has sent me two pens and a box all laser engraved

Thank you Nancy they are beautiful

Below is a picture of the pens and box that Nancy sent to me

They are both American flat top double twist the timber is American walnut burl and they are dressed one in gold the other silver with matching laser engraving

http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/uploads/simomatra/2007-12-09_003507_TPS_Swap1_07.JPG

and below is the pen that I sent to Nancy. The pen is a Baron in black titanium and the timber is brown malee burl

http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/uploads/NancyLaird/2007-10-27_181649_IMG_0723.jpg

David Mitchell
26th January 2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks Sam for all your work things look good ,sent PM to Handryn
Regards David:):2tsup:

Fireman sam
26th January 2008, 09:33 PM
thanks sam for all the great work organising the pen swap i have emailed Jeff in Indiana :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Touchwood
26th January 2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks so much to all Sam and DJ for coordinating this. I have sent a PM to Louisbry. Looking forward too to seeing the results.

JD:2tsup::2tsup:

Happy Aussie Day Everyone! What a lucky country we live in.

ss_11000
27th January 2008, 12:49 AM
ss_11000 -------------------------------------lutefisk
PM sent

schaf
27th January 2008, 06:51 AM
have sent a PM to Ken.

Terry

celt40
27th January 2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks Sam for you time setting up the swap. Looking forward to it.
Sent PM to Mick61.:2tsup:

corbs
27th January 2008, 09:30 AM
Happy Australia Day to all :aussie5:

Corb's ------------------------------------------Old Wrangler

Contact has been made :2tsup:. Four thumbs up for all co-ordinating this:2tsup::2tsup:.

Corbs

ken6991
27th January 2008, 10:11 AM
I have sent an email to Schaf.

PenTurner
27th January 2008, 12:20 PM
Glen and I are in touch also. Amos:)

Big Shed
27th January 2008, 12:49 PM
I have discovered there is a downside to having non-members of this forum as part of this pen swap.

My allocated partner, austin, is not a member of this forum but Simomatra has advised me, a member of TPS, The Penshop Forum.

I have tried to register with TPS, so far without success.

So I have been unable to communicate with austin, nor has austin contacted me.

Simomatra
27th January 2008, 01:29 PM
Hang in there Fred

I have sent an email to Johnny who runs TPS and also one to Austin just waiting on a reply

Simomatra
27th January 2008, 01:39 PM
I have discovered there is a downside to having non-members of this forum as part of this pen swap.

My allocated partner, austin, is not a member of this forum but Simomatra has advised me, a member of TPS, The Penshop Forum.

I have tried to register with TPS, so far without success.

So I have been unable to communicate with austin, nor has austin contacted me.

Fred I have sent you two email all you want is in them you are ready to go on TPS

DJ

I can see the flags now thanks for that:2tsup::2tsup:

Big Shed
27th January 2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks for that Sam, I have now been activated on TPS and have PMed ausitn, he should get that when gets out of bed over there:D

mick61
27th January 2008, 08:35 PM
G`day I have replied to Dermots P M . Mick:D

bdar
27th January 2008, 10:45 PM
Hey Sam
Thanks for setting this up. Have PMd both nfld steve and ciscokid just waiting on their replies. I think I have lucked out, be my first pen from Canada. Thanks again Sam

Darren

Lutefisk
28th January 2008, 01:56 AM
ss_11000 and i have exchanged information, hopefully i can get out to the garage and turn in a couple weeks.
dale

Penpal
28th January 2008, 09:03 AM
Contact sent and received with Matt,I outlined a suggested unique pen now half finished and before reading your comment on posting pics had said to Matt I would post a pic after confirmation of receipt,I agree with you the surprise is important. Gratefull to you for introducing me to Matt.

Regards Peter:2tsup:

nfld steve
28th January 2008, 07:54 PM
BDar conacted me,and I re-contacted BDar.
This is fun,Steve

Dangermouse
28th January 2008, 08:59 PM
Exchanged PM's with Ligget. Looks like he's far more organised than me, he's just about ready to post, I've forgotten to get the right drill bits for the kit I'm making for him :doh:.

Thanks for setting things up, Sam, going to be heaps of fun :2tsup:.

bdar
28th January 2008, 10:06 PM
Received PM's from both Steve and Al pen swaps are underway here. Already glued up ciscokid's ( Al's ) pen. I will get Steves underway this weekend.
Darren

funkychicken
28th January 2008, 11:19 PM
NewLondon88 and I have contacted

Now I need a pen mandrel:doh:

NewLondon88
29th January 2008, 12:16 AM
NewLondon88 and I have contacted

Now I need a pen mandrel:doh:

LOL .. I've got an extra..

nfld steve
30th January 2008, 01:28 AM
Just a quick question.Wondering approximately a decent time to have the pen finished and posted?
So it gets there in time.
Any guidelines or advice on this.
I'll get going on it the weekend too,if not before.
And thanks guys for setting this up,it's a fantastic idea!Really.
Take care,Steve

Simomatra
30th January 2008, 07:53 PM
Steve there is no hurry the swap is open till the 31st March Normally takes about 7 - 10 days from the US to Australia

Penpal
30th January 2008, 09:33 PM
Pen sent today to Matt 88s.Advised Matt this morning.

Regards Peter:2tsup:

Simomatra
31st January 2008, 06:56 PM
Nancy advised me today that she has sent Rippa an email:2tsup:

Rippa
31st January 2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks Sam, Nancy has been in touch.

Rippa

nfld steve
31st January 2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks Sam,just want to make sure I get it on time,Steve

corbs
1st February 2008, 10:20 AM
My partner and I are swapping Barons and are planning on completion for mid Feb:2tsup:. My Baron kits turned up yesterday so I am prepping 4 possible versions now. I have (xxxxxxxxx censored due to partner now being a member:-) all rough turned so will see which one I like the most to send over. My partner isn't a member on these forums so I am not giving away any secrets:wink:.

Cheers,
Corbs

DJ’s Timber
1st February 2008, 10:38 AM
My partner isn't a member on these forums so I am not giving away any secrets:wink:.

Your partner may not be a member, but could still visit these forums as a guest :q :;

corbs
1st February 2008, 11:04 AM
Your partner may not be a member, but could still visit these forums as a guest :q :;

Yeah... didn't think of that one:rolleyes:. Might have to make up a few more Baron blanks just incase:wink:... lets see, have some Murray Pine, Yellow/Brown/Red Mallee burl, Red Gum, Jarrah, Marri, Silver Wattle, Forest Oak, Sheoak, Bulloak... that should keep him guessing:2tsup:

Corbs

Simomatra
1st February 2008, 02:00 PM
Guess what Corbs

Your partner is a member on here:oo::oo:

plomanto
1st February 2008, 02:25 PM
I guess I should have posted before...BernieP has contacted me..so we are off and running

Peter

corbs
1st February 2008, 05:19 PM
Guess what Corbs

Your partner is a member on here:oo::oo:

Found him:D, have updated my post... hope its not too late:-

handyrn
1st February 2008, 06:05 PM
This looks like a nice event. I have been in touch with David and I am looking forward to working on his pen and sending some wood from the US as an exchange. The lathe is running and I am perusing my wood assortment.
Cindy:)

Dangermouse
3rd February 2008, 02:36 PM
Finally finished - and no 'incidents' :ohyaaa:.

Rather happy with the results, now all I have to do is get down the post office tomorrow and send it off to Mark. :2tsup:

kruger
5th February 2008, 12:38 AM
hello,

What are the items we can't sent to Australia by post?

Thanks

Simomatra
5th February 2008, 08:16 AM
G'day Norbert

Ammunition or shell casings are strictly prohibited in any form. I am not sure with animal parts once they have been turned and sealed

Timber, as in blanks, must be sawn on all faces no dust, bark, holes or spalting

Anyone else please chime in

NewLondon88
5th February 2008, 09:29 AM
Timber, as in blanks, must be sawn on all faces no dust, bark, holes or spalting

Ooo .. good thing I saw this before I sealed up the box..
I was going to throw a few blanks in there, but it doesn't meet
this criteria.. (the burl has bark and holes..)

Do they hit you up for money if it says "Sample" or 'Gift" on the
customs forms?

Simomatra
5th February 2008, 09:35 AM
There should be no duty paid I have ben getting stuff backwards and forwards with no problems just descibe what is in the parcel and mark as gift. Make sure you declare the blanks a s timber. They can confiscate and charge for fumigation if they see holes etc

DJ’s Timber
7th February 2008, 07:35 AM
Have received a message from my partner Ozmandus to say that my pen is done, but will be a while till he can post it due to weather, this is part of the message I received from him.

we're having major rain storm with tornadoes dropping all around Tennessee... fortunately, where I live were are in a slight mountainous area... hills all around and I think (at least I hope) we're shielded from the tornadoes.. so far they have reported 69 tornadoes that have hit the ground in and around the Memphis and Nashville area... far end of the state from me.. 45 people have been killed so far.. and now just heard that it's beginning to sleet in the area.. nasty weather and very unusual... this is not the normal season for tornadoes.

I am hoping to have his done on Sunday :2tsup:, we are also exchanging some blanks as well :;

NewLondon88
7th February 2008, 08:45 AM
There should be no duty paid I have ben getting stuff backwards and forwards with no problems just descibe what is in the parcel and mark as gift. Make sure you declare the blanks a s timber. They can confiscate and charge for fumigation if they see holes etc

Sounds good. I'm doing some repacking to take out anything with bark,
cutting off the ends of the burl, taking out the ones with holes.

.. and reconsidering a new box once I found out that UPS wanted
$144 US to ship it .. :o

smaller box, US Postal service .. $10 :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
7th February 2008, 04:33 PM
.. and reconsidering a new box once I found out that UPS wanted
$144 US to ship it .. :o

smaller box, US Postal service .. $10 :2tsup:

Yeah when it comes to sending parcels to Australia, UPS is the last company you want to use, they quite often try to charge you customs duty even when it's not applicable, I have always used USPS and have never had any problems and they are way cheaper as you found.

Simomatra
9th February 2008, 10:50 AM
Got to agree with DJ USPS is the way to go

Flat box holds about 12 large heavy blanks $11

PenTurner
16th February 2008, 09:12 PM
NewLondon and DJ, I should have read what you said about UPS, I got stung very, extremely badly the other day.:(( Amos

NewLondon88
16th February 2008, 11:00 PM
NewLondon and DJ, I should have read what you said about UPS, I got stung very, extremely badly the other day.:(( Amos

Ouch?

ss_11000
17th February 2008, 04:48 PM
i just finished my pen to be sent away.:D

Simomatra
19th February 2008, 08:27 AM
My pen is finished so it will be away as soon as I parcel it up

David Mitchell
19th February 2008, 10:52 PM
I have been working on buying a poker to brand my work from Brand New Industries Inc.
They have a range of these branding irons ,both flame heated and electrical
Cost around $60 plus postage this was going to be $116.00,so I sugested USPS and that was $44.00 with no customs.
What is the customs on this product or how do I find outwhat it may be?
I was going to pay using Pay Pal,but they don't use Pay Pal .Is there any other method available?:?
As I am very reluctant to use credit card on the internet:no:

Another method of branding work is Imprinting Transfers Wand.
This is simply make a Laser print or photo copy (ink) print or copy in reverse.
Place the copy face down and use the transfer tool to iron it on.
Has any one used this method?
I look foward to any information that may be available
Regards David :)

DJ’s Timber
19th February 2008, 11:35 PM
You shouldn't be getting any custom duty charged at all if its about $60, you only have to pay customs if its over $1000. Was the postage for $116 with UPS, if so avoid them like the plague, once the goods arrive here they'll send you another bill for it to be release from customs and will also charge you a customs fee, even though its not applicable.

David Mitchell
20th February 2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks DJ
The $116 was Fed Ex International ,this includes customs and packaging fees.
This is why I am unsure which way to go
Regards D M

plomanto
20th February 2008, 12:13 PM
MIne is done and shipping supplies arrived today, so it will go out via USPS in the morning

ciscokid
23rd February 2008, 10:26 AM
All my stuff goes out USPS. Haven't had a problem yet, although sometimes it does take a while. A decent sized box full of timber can go for $50. Still beats UPS though.

Big Shed
23rd February 2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks DJ
The $116 was Fed Ex International ,this includes customs and packaging fees.
This is why I am unsure which way to go
Regards D M

David, go the USPS Express route. I have used them several times now, including a big parcel from Woodcraft which cost $US51.70 in postage.

In all cases the goods came straight to my PO Box, no customs involved. Longest delivery time was 9 days, shortest 6 days.

Quite often stuff takes longer to post from Sydney!!

I just placed an order for some pen kits and other bits from Bear Tooth Woods in the US, cost of postage $US13.50, can weigh up to 4lbs.

plomanto
23rd February 2008, 01:04 PM
I mailed my pen to Australia this week the postage was under $10....

funkychicken
23rd February 2008, 01:44 PM
So are you saying us aussies should us USPS and not Aus Post?

DJ’s Timber
23rd February 2008, 01:52 PM
So are you saying us aussies should us USPS and not Aus Post?

Funky, for stuff posted from the US to Aust use USPS, for stuff from Aust to the US we use Aus Post

Simomatra
24th March 2008, 09:30 AM
:bump2:

Just a friendly reminder that the swap should be completed by next Monday the 31st March

Happy turning

Big Shed
25th March 2008, 08:19 AM

Just a friendly reminder that the swap should be completed by next Monday the 31st March

Happy turning

Sent mine off last Wednesday:2tsup:, will post pics once Austin tells me it has arrived.

David Mitchell
25th March 2008, 09:51 PM

Happy turning

I posted the pen to Handryn today ,may not get to USA by Monday.but should arrive soon after.:)
Regards DM:2tsup:

David Mitchell
25th March 2008, 10:06 PM
David, go the USPS Express route. I have used them several times now, including a big parcel from Woodcraft which cost .70 in postage.

In all cases the goods came straight to my PO Box, no customs involved. Longest delivery time was 9 days, shortest 6 days.

Quite often stuff takes longer to post from Sydney!!

I just placed an order for some pen kits and other bits from Bear Tooth Woods in the US, cost of postage .50, can weigh up to 4lbs.

Yes, I have used USPS and it seems to be very Good.
But my problem was, I was going to purch a branding iron from the USA for branding my work,I have tried other methods to name my work without much success, I have second thoughts about the branding iron too.:no:
The company seemed reluctant to send it to me by USPS,so I decided to forget the idea
Thanks for your information
Regards D M:)

handyrn
11th April 2008, 02:28 PM
David,
If you want a branding iron. I could ship it from here via USPS and it would probably be much cheaper then what I am reading in all of these posts. I was suprised that the cost of mailing blanks and the pen to you was much less expensive then I had anticipated. Let me know if I can help.
Cindy