PDA

View Full Version : Storing green wood

splott
27th January 2008, 09:49 AM
I am able to obtain a variety of logs ranging from 6"" up to 12"" dia on a regular basis. I need some advice on the best way to store these logs as i`m not always able to rough turn them instantly, and i don't what the majority to end up being fire wood any help.

BobL
27th January 2008, 10:20 AM
I am able to obtain a variety of logs ranging from 6"" up to 12"" dia on a regular basis. I need some advice on the best way to store these logs as i`m not always able to rough turn them instantly, and i don't what the majority to end up being fire wood any help.

Paint all exposed bits with end sealer, or if you can't find or afford that use several coats of water based house paint. Keep them off the ground and preferably out of too much direct sunlight.

OGYT
27th January 2008, 11:26 AM
What BobL said. Plus, if you can, split them down the middle, and store them standing on end, and switch ends every day or so. This will allow them to lose liquid a little faster than normal, and still may help to keep them from splitting so bad.
Don't know this for sure, but a friend who cuts walnut wood in the East, does his Walnut this way.

weisyboy
27th January 2008, 12:37 PM
i cut all logs into rough thickness slabs seal the ends and stack to dry this way they dry quickly and wil only have a small amount of enc cracking if any and can be cut to the dsired size squares or rounds latter on.:2tsup:

if you cant do this seal the ends and remove the bark and stack in criss-crossing layers to alow air to curculate beteen them.:2tsup:

witchever way you go keep out of the sun and they should be ok.:U