PDA

View Full Version : Something a little different

Zedster
27th January 2008, 11:07 PM
G'day all, it's been a while since I posted to this forum, been a while since I actually turned any timber due to work commitments and such, but now I am itching to get back to my lathe, which incidentally I had a problem with, a quick email to Tecknatool in NZ soon had the problem sorted, I cannot praise their customer service high enough.

Anyway, I notice that a few turners are starting to think outside the square on this forum, and an inspiration to all they are, I was particularly impressed with the optic fiber lamp, so I thought I would share with you an idea that I had a year ago, I have got a design registration on the lamp, and am busy trying to source outlets for selling the lamp.

Based on a standard desk lamp, I actually brought a metal desk lamp from our local diy store for £4, then took it apart so I could use the component parts, the lamp I created features LED bulbs, used because they emit no heat whatsoever, I have had the lamp checked by British trading standards and it passed with no problems, the design has been kept simple to aid mass production, however I have made them in the Bauhaus style and that was pretty impressive using mgurure and another in mhuhu, the pictured one is made in purpleheart, but my favorite one have been made using burr english oak, (note no capital e for english, I am Scottish)

So here it is, your comment will be appreciated

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r13/ctbphotos/phlamp.jpg

Chris

TTIT
28th January 2008, 12:01 AM
Simple but effective - looks good Chris :U Got a picture of the Bauhaus style unit???

ss_11000
28th January 2008, 12:41 AM
:2tsup:

the purple heart looks so cool:cool2:

OGYT
28th January 2008, 01:39 AM
Pretty cool lamp. Now, is this supposed to fasten to the headstock? Or is it strictly a desk lamp? Am curious about the Bauhaus style... Bauhaus being a work place of sorts... methinks? I love the richness of the Purpleheart on this! Nice work.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th January 2008, 01:51 AM
I like the idea.

But the base looks a little ungainly to my eye... does it need to contain any workings? What are the approx. dimensions?

littlebuddha
28th January 2008, 06:57 AM
To go to the bother of reg a design and to sell is a bit over the top for a nice piece of wood, and no real style, very simple turning, and to make money on it i think would be tight. i for one would not want to pay much for something that is so basic and designless. The wood is nice.

dai sensei
28th January 2008, 11:22 AM
Looks great Zedster.

The bulb looks very close to the wood though, I know the metal versions can get very hot, how is this one going? I'd hate to see a fire start due to the heat build up.

artme
28th January 2008, 12:18 PM
Very neat indeed!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sprog
28th January 2008, 01:06 PM
Looks great Zedster.

The bulb looks very close to the wood though, I know the metal versions can get very hot, how is this one going? I'd hate to see a fire start due to the heat build up.

the lamp I created features LED bulbs, used because they emit no heat whatsoever.

:D

dai sensei
28th January 2008, 06:55 PM
:doh::U

Zedster
28th January 2008, 07:51 PM
:doh::U
Precisely, this thread is not about the design, that was kept as simple as possible in this particular illustrated case, it obviously wont suit the taste of some, but as they say one man's meat is another's poison, and I regularly sell this style at £250, just goes to show there is no accounting for taste, however the design possibilities are only limited by the wood turners imagination, and sadly that's not huge in some cases.

The point of this thread was to show LED bulbs can be used in close conjunction with wood.

BernieP
29th January 2008, 07:27 PM
G'Day Chris

Very clean, functional, uncluttered, design.Thanks for sharing. IS there a switch or is it at the power?

Cheers
Bernie

Zedster
30th January 2008, 06:50 PM
G'Day Chris

Very clean, functional, uncluttered, design.Thanks for sharing. IS there a switch or is it at the power?

Cheers
Bernie

Bernie, I usually fit an in line switch about 1ft down the cable from where it exits the base, on some I have put a switch actualy on the base.

Skew, the base needs to be heavy to counteract the weight of the lamp head in any position, I make to the dims of the brought desk lamp I rob for parts.

Chris