PDA

View Full Version : Something else a little different!

TTIT
27th January 2008, 11:55 PM
Interested to get your opinions on this little indulgence. Showed a friend and they had some very 'interesting' views on it so I'm curious to know what you all think of it :B. Started out with a Rose Mahogany blank from Dad's gear that already had a screw-chuck hole through the centre which limited it's uses. Wanted to play with some multi axis stuff so it just sort of evolved from there. Odd that as a turner, the last time we had a blackout, I discovered I didn't have a single candle holder - every time I make one somebody oohs and aahs a bit and out the door it goes - gonna keep this one I think :U
Legs are Gidgee and the finish on the Rose mahogany is also an experiment - 3 coats of wipe-on poly to see if it would dry better on the mahogany than DO does.

Groggy
27th January 2008, 11:56 PM
Oh Oh - off to the orange room with this one :D

Very nice, I like the design, very creative :2tsup:

ss_11000
28th January 2008, 12:44 AM
bloody awesome. i like the design, the finish and everything:2tsup:
top job vern:clap:

btw, i thought of as soon as i saw it. looks like and axe from the side ( or is it the front:? - pic 3 :cool: )

OGYT
28th January 2008, 01:33 AM
That's a keeper, for sure! Like Stirlo, I thought of an axe head, first off. I like the way you fair-curved the 'blades'... hard to do and make it good on a compound curve like that. Did a bang-up job on the legs, also. Mighty fine work, Vern.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th January 2008, 01:46 AM
I thought 'twas a hatchet doing hand-stands... :D

Definitely an original!

kruger
28th January 2008, 02:18 AM
i like it:o:oo::2tsup:

good design and good job.

Harry72
28th January 2008, 07:31 AM
Good looking design Vern, well done mate!

RETIRED
28th January 2008, 08:02 AM
Bugger. I thought you had made me a new moderating tool.:D Nice job Vern.

Fireman sam
28th January 2008, 09:23 AM
Good job vern i know your dad would like it :2tsup:
Andrew

wheelinround
28th January 2008, 09:30 AM
If the candle light dinner doesn't go well then you can always bury the hatchet

:2tsup: well done Vern very nice

fred.n
28th January 2008, 09:56 AM
Outstanding :2tsup:
Very, Very nice

dai sensei
28th January 2008, 11:19 AM
Beautiful Vern. :2tsup:

artme
28th January 2008, 12:15 PM
That is certainly different1 andvery well executed!:oo::oo::2tsup::2tsup:

R.B.
28th January 2008, 03:14 PM
Stunning TTIT!

you'd half expect the little fella to scamper off and hide when you light a match.

BernieP
28th January 2008, 03:53 PM
G'Day TTIT

Nice to see something different and so well exercuted., more info on wipe on poly please.

Cheers
Bernie

Sawdust Maker
28th January 2008, 07:53 PM
Very interesting, I think I like it - did think of an axe at first
but I'd expect it to walk off the table on those knobbly legs at any moment!

TTIT
28th January 2008, 08:01 PM
G'Day TTIT

Nice to see something different and so well exercuted., more info on wipe on poly please.

Cheers
BernieMinwax Wipe-on poly - "Hand rubbed beauty with polyurethane protection" is the blurb on the can. I got it from Bunnings a couple of year ago for an odd project - trying to seal some Balinese carvings that go mouldy everytime we get some humidity and develop a smell that takes your breath away when you walk past :oo:. Worked for the first summer but the recent "damp" bought it out again :C. The oils in Rose mahogany stop DO from drying properly for a very long time which I find frustrating :~. The Wipe-on worked well from an application aspect but now the test of time will be the cruncher - can the poly hold back the natural oils??? Anyone else had any luck with easy finishes on Rose mahogany????

hughie
28th January 2008, 08:43 PM
of time will be the cruncher - can the poly hold back the natural oils??? Anyone else had any luck with easy finishes on Rose mahogany

dunno 'bout rose mahogany. But have used it just about all the various timbers I have turned to date and with no come back. Other than the gloss has a big hole to pour from and it will go off in the can...ggrrrh!
The satin has a tiny hole it seems to last indefinitely, beats me why they have a large hole in the other,other than a sales angle.

scooter
28th January 2008, 09:06 PM
Nice job, mate :)

Calm
28th January 2008, 09:07 PM
Great work Vern :2tsup::2tsup:

- something for us learners to aspire too.

joe greiner
28th January 2008, 10:09 PM
Wow! An axe-shaped egg! :) Can you provide some detail on the multi-axis sequences?

Good to see you're back in the dry.

Joe

mick61
28th January 2008, 10:40 PM
Great job vern.:2tsup:Is everything dry up there?Mick:D

TTIT
28th January 2008, 11:19 PM
Great job vern.:2tsup:Is everything dry up there?Mick:DNo worries Mick - most of the roads are open again and the bulk of the clean-up is done but it's still gonna take a while to get back to normal. Some of the mines will take months to pump the pits out before they can resume mining and a lot farms will take a while to recover before they can enjoy the benefits of the extra water but we'll get there.

Wow! An axe-shaped egg! :) Can you provide some detail on the multi-axis sequences?

Good to see you're back in the dry.

JoePretty straight-forward Joe. Turned the 'discus' shape with the blank mounted on a screw chuck with a small spacer on it to keep it out far enough from the chuck so I could turn the whole shape in one session. Next bit was the trickiest - mounting it on it's side square and dead centre. Took a slice off what was to be the bottom with the bandsaw then flattened it with a plane (:o yes - a real hand plane :o). Then held it square in a 'V' block on the drill press and used a forstner bit to drill just deep enough to mount securely on my 25mm pin jaws. (Wish I had taken some pics - would be so much easier!!). Then turned the top 'opening' and hole for the candle cup which also happens to fit on the pin jaws to then turn the bottom opening.
Hope that makes sense Joe. Would be interested in any better methods of getting it centred on it's side - this one ended up just slightly off but it was enough to stop me from adding a detail I wanted to include.

joe greiner
29th January 2008, 12:31 AM
No worries Mick - most of the roads are open again and the bulk of the clean-up is done but it's still gonna take a while to get back to normal. Some of the mines will take months to pump the pits out before they can resume mining and a lot farms will take a while to recover before they can enjoy the benefits of the extra water but we'll get there.

Pretty straight-forward Joe. Turned the 'discus' shape with the blank mounted on a screw chuck with a small spacer on it to keep it out far enough from the chuck so I could turn the whole shape in one session. Next bit was the trickiest - mounting it on it's side square and dead centre. Took a slice off what was to be the bottom with the bandsaw then flattened it with a plane (:o yes - a real hand plane :o). Then held it square in a 'V' block on the drill press and used a forstner bit to drill just deep enough to mount securely on my 25mm pin jaws. (Wish I had taken some pics - would be so much easier!!). Then turned the top 'opening' and hole for the candle cup which also happens to fit on the pin jaws to then turn the bottom opening.
Hope that makes sense Joe. Would be interested in any better methods of getting it centred on it's side - this one ended up just slightly off but it was enough to stop me from adding a detail I wanted to include.

Clear as a bell, Vern. I was afraid the leg assemblies were turned as one piece (horrors!).

Joe

Ozartisan
29th January 2008, 07:46 AM
Great Job Vern! :2tsup:
Reckon it would look sweet sitting on a stand at Artisans Retreat Gallery! :D
Hmmmmmm - maybe someday!! :rolleyes:

Have fun keeping up the great work.

Peter
Ozartisan

switt775
29th January 2008, 09:38 AM
If the candle light dinner doesn't go well then you can always bury the hatchet

:2tsup: well done Vern very nice

:wts:

I'm beginning to think I joined this forum for the same reason women buy fashion magazines: to remind us of our own inadequacies. Well done, you've certainly given many of us something to aspire to.

Cliff Rogers
16th February 2008, 01:57 PM
I missed this the first time, good one. :2tsup:

wheelinround
16th February 2008, 02:14 PM
Vern I recall an Animated movie with similar little doodads in it
Sorry cant thing of the movie

Not saying you pinched the idea just looks familiar

Little Festo
18th February 2008, 08:22 AM
Great design and well done. Always nice to see something different. Excellent.

Peter

OGYT
18th February 2008, 01:26 PM
Other than the gloss has a big hole to pour from and it will go off in the can...ggrrrh!
The satin has a tiny hole it seems to last indefinitely, beats me why they have a large hole in the other,other than a sales angle.

If the pour hole is big enough, Hughie, put in enough marbles 'til it gets full again; it'll sure increase the shelf life. :2tsup:

hughie
18th February 2008, 07:06 PM
the pour hole is big enough, Hughie, put in enough marbles 'til it gets full again; it'll sure increase the shelf life.

of course :doh: ...................now that you mention it :B