PDA

View Full Version : lathe tools question again

lubbing5cherubs
30th January 2008, 09:48 PM
HI Guys, I am very slow learner here. Can someone tell me what is the difference between a spindle gouge and a detail gouge?

Also what size tool to make say finial like Cindy Drozda and small boxes (at the most 4-6" round) what size would be the gouge to buy to do this? Any help when I look at the sizes on Jim site I have no idea. What size would say would be a good starter point?

Thanks Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th January 2008, 10:18 PM
HI Guys, I am very slow learner here. Can someone tell me what is the difference between a spindle gouge and a detail gouge?

I've found that many people use the terms to mean the same thing. :shrug:

However, what I call a spindle gouge looks like a square scraper that has been pressed to put a curve in it. And what I call a detail gouge is made from a round rod that has had the flute milled out of the top - much like a bowl gouge but the flute isn't anywhere near as deep.

Both are used primarily for spindle work though, which is probably why people mix the terms.

Edit: found a link that shows what I mean... http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/parting.html (Down the page a bit and on the right :) )

rsser
30th January 2008, 10:33 PM
Hi Toni,

I wondered the same about the tool CD uses on her finials. My best guess is that it's like a P&N detail gouge: shallow flute and long bevel. Takes a bit of practice to use as the flute tips are closer to your workpiece than are those of a deeper fluted gouge. A poor pic can be found on The Woodworks website.

What Skew described as a spindle gouge I know as a Continental spindle gouge.

lubbing5cherubs
30th January 2008, 10:46 PM
thanks Guys now if you were going to do what I would like to one day attempt. What size tools would you buy. I have no idea of imperial sizes. So what size would you you head?
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th January 2008, 10:53 PM
Hmmm... 10 to 12mm (say, 3/8" - 1/2") is a happy compromise for a detail gouge.

You can buy larger or smaller but the most popular are probably around this size. I also have a 1/4" (6 or 7mm?) that I use for small finials and fine beads and coves and an even smaller one that I've yet to take for a test drive. (But soon, soon...)

I'd say the same sizes apply to spindle gouges; I rarely use my larger 18 & 25mm (3/4" & 1") ones - except when I'm too lazy to find my roughing gouge. :roll: But I don't turn big spindles... to a 1" gouge is just a kiddies toy! :;

TTIT
30th January 2008, 11:42 PM
I'll go along with Skew on that - I use a 3/8" Hamlet spindle gouge for just about everything :o - seriously useful tool :2tsup:. Did up a 1/2" one and rarely touch it - and only occasionally use a 1/4" from my mini Hamlet set :shrug:

rsser
31st January 2008, 05:05 AM
How are we measuring the gouge size guys?

Flute width? rod diam.?

Richard Findley
31st January 2008, 05:21 AM
Hi Guy's

Just to add my pennys worth... I use a 3/8" (10mm) round bar spindle gouge for most of my work but, like skew, have a 1/2" (12mm), 1/4" (6mm) and a 1/8" (3mm) which I use for occaisional jobs only.

So I would say that if you're going to buy one only then buy a 3/8".

I think the difference between "spindle gouge" and a "detail gouge" is related to the depth of flute, with a detail gouge having a shallower flute hence leaving more metal in the tool and so a sturdier tool. Mine are just classed as spindle gouges by Ashley Isles (my manufacturer of choice).

Over here in the UK we measure spindle gouges by the size of rod, so a 3/8" spindle gouge has a 3/8" diameter rod. Bowl gouges on the other hand are measured across the flute, so a 3/8" Bowl gouge is actually more like 1/2" bar but with a 3/8" wide flute....:oo:

...no wonder beginers get confused!!!!:doh:

Hope this helps,

Richard

HansGScholte
31st January 2008, 05:40 AM
Hope I don't add to the confusion:
Woodturning gouges are divided in:

[1]Bowl gouges
[2]Spindle gouges
[2.1]Forged gouges, f.i. Continental gouges
[2.2]Detail gouges

I prefer a 1/4" (6 mm) detail gouge with a "lady-fingernail" grind for thin finials.

Hans

rsser
31st January 2008, 05:42 AM
Confusion indeed.

Here are some pics Toni:

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Turning_Tools/Spindle_Gouges/spindle_gouges.html

... None however of the shallow-fluted round bar gouge like the P&N detail.

Jim Carroll
31st January 2008, 07:09 AM
The difference when we talk about spindle gouges and detail gouges is the shape of the tool and the lenght of the bevel.

The detail gouge has a very shallow flute with a long bevel

The spindle gouge has a deeper flute with a shorter bevel.

Having seen cindys work and these are P&N sizes I would assume she would be using an 8 or 10mm spindle gouge. The work she does is very delicate some may use a 12mm to start with then use the smaller ones for the detail part.

The detail gouge was mainly used for deeper coves and with straighter sides than your standard cove a spindle gouge uses.