PDA

View Full Version : tool presentation....

killerbeast
31st January 2008, 08:44 AM
I have taken a course with an old turner this weekend. And old turner been turning for a very long time. My problem is that he teaches an other technic that the teacher at my club... bee reading and watching videos. what i need very much now is : pictures of the right way to present a bowl gouge with an irish grind to the inside and outside of a bowl. close up pics or drawings would be soooooo help full.

hope somebody can help my with this....

PAH1
31st January 2008, 12:03 PM
My advice would be to try both, you will quickly learn the one that you like to use. It will probably change over time but that is the place to start. The inside start is very easy, rolled completely over so that the flute is facing the center, ease it in till there is enough of a step to support the bevel and then roll it over so that the flute points above horizontal.

What comes next varies according to a range of techniques and you wind up using all of them.
1. Keep going using this method varying the rollover untill you have the depth that you want.
2. As you keep hollowing raise the tip so that it is above centerand then drop it back to center as the cut nears the center of the bottom.
3. Backcut from rim to base with the flute vertical or near vertical and the tip nearly on the center height (this is not for the faint hearted or learner). the catch if you get this one wrong is rather spectacular, however the cut that you get is smoother and more consistent than most other methods and can really help both with deeper bowls and cranky grain.

The outside cuts are more varied and different ones cut better in different timber.