PDA

View Full Version : I'll Bee damned! Huon earth would believe it!

Ozartisan
31st January 2008, 06:06 PM
Was turning some small pieces of Huon today, as a demo outside the Gallery.
Just some small plugs to hide the bolt holes in the base of the curved beams....
Anyway - roughed one piece then went away for a while - came back to find critters who LOVE my work.....
well - native bees seemingly attracted to the scent of fresh cut Huon.
Funny thing is - these bees live in Taree - lots of land & sea between us & the nearest Huon tree!
There seems to be a slight darkening where they were "working" - mainly end grain. They get all over you when you are turning 'cos the scent must be clinging to me too - good thing they don't have those stingy bits at one end!
Anyone else ever experienced this phenomenon?
Will be interesting to see if the Sikkens finish will hold them at bay on the finished product!.

ss_11000
31st January 2008, 08:06 PM
i wouldnt go near the lathe. they dont look like they want to be disturbed.

:D

thats very interesting tho

artme
31st January 2008, 08:24 PM
Can you get close enough to identify their species? They look like Trigonias.:D:D:D
I love huon pine. Obviously not as much as your newly acquired friends though.:oo::oo:

Sawdust Maker
31st January 2008, 08:32 PM
Now there's a hazard they never mention in the books:D:D

TTIT
31st January 2008, 10:24 PM
................ Anyone else ever experienced this phenomenon?
Dunno Peter - they look more like wasps to me :o. All the native bees I've seen are almost totally black :shrug: Reckon I'd be goin' for the Mortein :;
Have had a similar problem when turning wet Corkwood wattle - except it's blow-flies that are enticed in - and you know what sort of smell blowies go for :C

Ozartisan
31st January 2008, 10:44 PM
Dunno Peter - they look more like wasps to me :o. All the native bees I've seen are almost totally black :shrug: Reckon I'd be goin' for the Mortein :;
Have had a similar problem when turning wet Corkwood wattle - except it's blow-flies that are enticed in - and you know what sort of smell blowies go for :C

Have sought input from Anne Dollin - Australias authority on Native Bees.
(Met her many years ago when I printed one of her books)
Figure she will set me straight on what they are!

Cliff Rogers
31st January 2008, 10:46 PM
They look like Flys to me too. :cool:

Have a look at these pics (http://www.zeta.org.au/~anbrc/gallery.html).

Ozartisan
31st January 2008, 10:48 PM
Have checked that website Cliff.. couldn't seem to get a clear pic to give me an indication.
Really has me intrigued.. can't wait for Anne's response....

Ozartisan
4th February 2008, 01:37 PM
Well, you are right again Cliff! - Dr Dollin just got back to me - seems the little critters are not bees at all.
Bees have 4 wings - these critters only have 2 - AND antennae, heads & eyes like flies.
No Huon Honey in the making - so it's out with the mortein!

wheelinround
4th February 2008, 02:18 PM
hope there is no lave in there

woodcutta
4th February 2008, 02:52 PM
Well, you are right again Cliff! - Dr Dollin just got back to me - seems the little critters are not bees at all.
Bees have 4 wings - these critters only have 2 - AND antennae, heads & eyes like flies.
No Huon Honey in the making - so it's out with the mortein!

NO - Not the mortein, Spray them with adhesive and stickem to the wood - New Sculpture for the Gallery:D

woodcutta

Ozartisan
4th February 2008, 08:53 PM
Good one Woodcutta!
That would surely command a premium price for a mixed media piece!

Will check for any movement Wheelin!

wheelinround
5th February 2008, 07:10 AM
Oz a quick spray of hair spray and then dip it in clear resin and sell it to Asian's as a novilty memeory of visit to AU and its fly infestation :D