PDA

View Full Version : Planner/Thicknesser

tyrone
18th December 2003, 10:38 PM
When planning wood then thicknessing to get straight timber, how much would the thickness of the wood be reduced. Assuming the wood was not a bananna to start with.

Stuart
18th December 2003, 11:08 PM
At a guess, if you drew 2 horizontal, parallel lines, one near the top and one near the bottom of the timber, such that each line intercecting the deepest trough on the respective side of the timber, then the resulting thickness would be the distance between the two lines.

Damn- that was hard to put into words!

try this (bad) drawing!

tyrone
18th December 2003, 11:12 PM
Thanks I understand that, what i meant was typically say with 19mm wood that is reasonably straight, would I expect to get say 13mm thickness

Stuart
19th December 2003, 01:14 AM
How long is a piece of string? If the board is really straight, a 1mm shaving pass off either side will give the finish, and you will be left with a 17mm board. Or, if it is a bit ordinary, 4mm off either side will leave you with 11mm :(

Mr. Minimax
19th December 2003, 09:33 AM
Timber merchants generally count on losing 3mm each side when dressing timber.
That's why when you buy 1" (25mm) thick boards DAR you only get 19mm - but you will find that if you buy your timber undressed you can (sometimes) get away with much less than this.

silentC
19th December 2003, 09:49 AM
Mr Minimax, I prefer to be dressed when I buy my timber. Saves the funny looks and the splinters in awkward places I get otherwise.