PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast MC908 Price

RosscoPerth
5th February 2008, 12:13 AM
Hi All - My dad passed away recently and he was a keen woodturner and the owner of a 3-phase Woodfast MC908 lathe on a sturdy heavy gauge box section steel stand. None of the family are into turning so my mum is looking to sell the lathe but has no idea of it's value. It's in excellent condition. Anyone have an idea on it's value....Thanks.....RosscoPerth

Calm
5th February 2008, 09:16 AM
If you can get some photos for us to look at would be a help.

RosscoPerth
29th April 2008, 12:55 AM
I have finally organised some photos of the Woodfast MC908 lathe and accessories. Can those familiar with the lathe give me some idea of what a fair asking price would be, with the accesories shown. It is about 10 years old but has not done much work at all as my dad was always busy with lots of other projects other than woodturning.

ss_11000
29th April 2008, 01:41 AM
at least 600 bucks IMO.

how many speeds does the lathe have? thats a point you will need to know when you try to sell it.

funkychicken
29th April 2008, 08:02 PM
$600?? At least $1000, I'd say

It has 5 speeds..

Harry72
29th April 2008, 10:06 PM
$1000 no way, $600 sounds fair.

NeilS
29th April 2008, 11:54 PM
Paid $1,000 about 5yrs ago for an old Woodfast which had been reconditioned, converted to variable speed, and also had the outboard turning attachment, plus a box full of faceplates and chucks. I thought I got a good deal for that amount of money.

3 phase motor will limit your market. Ex-highschool Woodfasts have been selling on eBay for about $450-$500. Given the condition of your lathe and extras, try to get $600 or more.

Neil

Calm
30th April 2008, 08:12 AM
Being 3 phase i thnk it could be converted to Electronic Variable Speed quite easily. Then it would be 240 volt single phase.

wwild
11th October 2023, 11:44 AM
Hi All,
similiar to the original post on this thread (a long time ago) my Dad has passed away and left a MC908 lathe behind with a bunch of tools.
I am going to sell it for Mum, but no idea how much they are worth. Its got the green hammertone paint on it and no idea how old.
Its single phase 240V and has a variable speed controller.
The bed length is about 6ft (need to measure it)
I can supply photos later.
Are these worth anything these days or are they superseded by the newer machines.
Thanks for your time
Wayne

NeilS
12th October 2023, 08:53 AM
... my Dad has passed away and left a MC908 lathe behind with a bunch of tools.

Are these worth anything these days or are they superseded by the newer machines.

Those lathes will always be in demand if they are in good condition (bearings, bed, etc.) and particularly if they already have variable speed control. Scroll chucks to fit lathe and good HSS tools will also add value. How much? Check eBay, Gumtree and FB for current prices.

Mobyturns
12th October 2023, 02:12 PM
Its got the green hammertone paint on it and no idea how old.
Thanks for your time
Wayne

I can't view the OP's images so,

Original Aussie made Woodfast lathes have some numbers, the year and serial number, stamped into the lathe bed on the tail stock end. Many came with the outboard turning accessories so factor that in as well & most were supplied as 1 hp afaik.

As far as pricing a 3 ph in very good condition I would try for at least $1k and the single phase VS at least $2k. It is not difficult to convert a 3ph machine to single phase VS with all new gear, motor, switch gear & inverter for approx $1300.

New M910's retail at $5200 (CWS) so any M908 under $2k is value imho IF they are in fair to good condition. I purchased a VGC M908 many years ago and pestered Bronte Edwards to supply the M910 EVS gear as a kit for it. It is a superb lathe. The original Aussie made M908's (& M408's, M410's & M910's) are as good as a VL200 for strength, quality etc.

Vicmarc have a kit - EVS Retrofit Assembly's | Vicmarc (https://www.vicmarc.com/product-page/retro)

hughie
13th October 2023, 03:19 PM
I can't review the images either. But as to whether old lathes are superseded by the modern, here's my experience I have refurbished three Woodfast lathes over the years, including adapting one with VFD. All have sold with no dramas, so for with this one I think 600 is reasonable. But much depends on where you live, as all markets have their own unique value. I live in Sydney where there are many turners and would be turners and old Woodfast lathes are very dependable and reliable, ideal for new turners, so the market is good.

NeilS
14th October 2023, 09:26 AM
I can't view the OP's images

Posted in 2008, so that was probably about when every image on the forum posted before that time disappeared into black hole!

wwild
14th October 2023, 05:23 PM
Thank you for the replies all.
Very much appreciated.
It lions like their are two bed that have been bolted to upside rail line.
It must be at least 8 feet long.
I’ll post some photos tomorrow.
Thanks again

wwild
15th October 2023, 11:04 AM
How do I upload photos????

NeilS
15th October 2023, 11:19 AM
How do I upload photos????

Uploading Photos (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f36/uploading-photos-230604)

wwild
16th October 2023, 10:45 AM
Thank you Neil,
Photos Uploaded.....I hope!
Cheers,
Wayne

Gary H
16th October 2023, 01:20 PM
Wayne, good job with the photos. Being an unbiased (:wink:) Woodfast owner you definitely have a good machine to sell. I suggest that any ads you place have heaps of photos (just like you've posted above) and a very detailed description including the fact that it has an extended bed xxmm long, 240v xxHP motor, xx inch swing, electronic variable speed controller, outboard turning set up, chisels, faceplate, chucks etc etc - the more details, the better. To answer your original question, if it was me selling I would advertise it at $2000 ono (leaving some room to come down a bit). Good luck with your sale.

Cheers, Gary

Mobyturns
16th October 2023, 02:00 PM
I think you will be underselling yourself at $2k as it has the extension bed, EVS, outboard turning accessory plus the other bits and pieces.

wwild
16th October 2023, 08:13 PM
Thanks All.
Really appreciate the feedback and advice.
Have a great week.
Cheers
Wayne

hughie
23rd October 2023, 06:27 PM
I think you will be underselling yourself at $2k as it has the extension bed, EVS, outboard turning accessory plus the other bits and pieces.

I agree

Gary H
24th October 2023, 08:54 AM
I agree
We all have different opinions on what something is worth but suggestions as to a sale price, or even a starting price, would be of greater assistance than just saying $x is not high enough. Let's help by quoting suggested amounts so he has a general consensus of where to start.

Mobyturns
24th October 2023, 07:00 PM
We all have different opinions on what something is worth but suggestions as to a sale price, or even a starting price, would be of greater assistance than just saying $x is not high enough. Let's help by quoting suggested amounts so he has a general consensus of where to start.

One lesson I learned in my mid teens was that any object is only worth what a purchaser is prepared to pay, at a given time, place and in the particular circumstances.

If the seller has the luxury of time, and is located near larger population centers then they have a better prospect of attaining a higher sell price.

Determining an agreed value is a matter for buyer and seller,. We can only offer a guide to what current offerings are closest in specification, and what similar machines are going for "in the current market."

If it were my responsibility to move it on, and I had the time, I would be starting at $4k (for lathe stand and long bed extn only) and negotiating from there. More of course for what is included with the lathe, tooling, chucks, other accessories etc. A s/h Vicmarc VM120 chuck with a std set of jaws has to be worth $150 per chuck. The most significant feature of this particular setup is the extra long bed, which appears to be the complete bed from another M908 lathe reversed.

Optimark
25th October 2023, 11:12 AM
Mobyturns, until you mentioned how the bed extension is possibly sourced from, I hadn't paid much attention to this thread. But I had a very good look and it appears that this lathe has been set-up extremely well.

I do think you may be correct, in that the bed extension is in fact a complete reversed lathe, minus the head stock. The really interesting thing appears to be that the whole lathe is sitting atop two upside down railway tracks. That thing is probably rock steady.

The small lowered extension on the reverse of the headstock, would allow one to do largish turnings.

This appears to be one really well sorted out lathe and may require a truck to move it. Not to mention some kind of mechanical assistance in loading it on and off the truck; or whatever is used to transport it.

Mick.

hughie
25th October 2023, 11:33 AM
Much depends on the market, Sydney market may well command a higher price due to several different factors such as population, size of the woody fraternity. say as compared to Humpty Doo in the NT OK this an extreme example but you get my thinking.
If it were me I would be shining it up so as to show it the best possible condition, heaps of photos, a decent spiel on the history and it owner, along with a detailed list of what comes with it ie bench with drawers, the grinder on the bed etc. Three phase wont help but seeing it is in the suburbs how did he run it? I suspect it wont be 415volts but rather 240v three phase and you may find it has a VFD already fitted,this will enhance the value some more.
Add few more pics on how its powered up.